Poll: Why does everyone seem to loathe Rebecca Black?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
She's certainly nothing to love in terms of music, but her new song isn't too bad.

The hate she receives (at least here in the states) is unbelievable. I can understand not liking an artist, but the rabid hatred of her is way beyond me. Anyone care to explain?

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Her song is annoying, but I mean, I'd gladly listen to her over Justin Bieber. At least Rebecca Black is singing about something semi-logical for her age (except for the driving business, XD).

DarthScorpio11

Aug 10, 2011
i don't hate her. I mean, her music isn't my cup of tea, but I think it's horrible that grown adult are bullying a 14 (at the time of the songs release, 13) year old kid. I mean, if you don't like it, don't listen to it. There are seriously thousands, if not millions of songs out there. Tons of other stuff to listen to, and im sure there are thousands of worse songs out there.

Just my 2 cents

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I don't like the word hate... I just plain don't like her music, because it is annoying as hell and just does nothing but reinforce that teenagers serve no purpose in life until they finally become adults.

EDIT: However I do admire the fact that she did donate money from her video to the crisis in Japan, that is admirable.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
It's called a 'vocal minority'. I dare say most people with any opinion of her dislike her, but it's a much smaller number that outright hate her. Thing is, these are the people most likely to proclaim their hate to the world.

As for me...don't like the music, got nothing against the person. The hate really doesn't seem deserved.

Happy Yay

Jul 1, 2008
I think it's ridiculous to hate on her; she's just a 13 year old with a taste in music considered bad by the online community and she got to make a song. Big fucking deal.

Anyway Friday and especially My Moment are better than a lot of pop (namely Bieber) in my opinion.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
I really don't care either way. I'm a Prog Rock guy myself, so why would I want to waste my time listening to her when I could listen to Genesis or Pink Floyd ... or catch some of Rick Wakeman's or Jordan Rudess' crazy solos?

However, to be completely honest here, "My Moment" was a step in a better direction. Not a great song by any stretch, in my opinion, but it sure beat the hell out of "Friday". Not taking her side or being polite, just being fair.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
LawlessSquirrel said:
It's called a 'vocal minority'. I dare say most people with any opinion of her dislike her, but it's a much smaller number that outright hate her. Thing is, these are the people most likely to proclaim their hate to the world.
Go to any of her YouTube video's and (with the exception of My Moment) they have almost a million or more "dislikes". I'd hardly call that a minority.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I think she's really just earned memetic hatred. As in, most people probably don't actually feel that way about her, but feel obligated to act like it because everyone else is and that will make them cool.

I don't like her song. Hell, I loathe it, and I haven't been able to bring myself to try her new one for fear of my eardrums imploding, but I have absolutely no opinion of her personally. I don't have a clue what she's like.

IkeGreil29

Jul 25, 2010
For reference, here's my opinion on this.

I've been getting tired of people insulting other artists or the artists on YouTube music videos, so I'm just going to write a big long (Maybe shorter than I think, I tend to be more organized on paper) rant on why the heck people should stop saying they hate x band or y genre.

Here's the deal. In this digital age of mainstream music, no one ever listents to a full album anymore. I'm not saying that there aren't people that do, I personally listen to the whole album first before deciding what to rip to my computer and then pass onto my Walkman. I'm sure most metalheads still buy full albums and hard copy (holy shit that is so old) discs on CD stores. I'm sure there are Jazz lovers, Pop lovers, Dubstep, Hipsters, Emos, Punks, Goths et. al. that buy these albums. But 90 - 80 % of people now only listen to that one or three singles in the radio that get played because guess what? The artist doesn't have a say in what becomes a single, even if he poured his spirit, energy and everything into a single track, because it might not be commercial. And, I admit, not everyone has the guts to go Trent Reznor or Ash style and release content as it comes in the shapes of singles without having a record company as a medium. Marilyn Manson didn't have the money necessary to go completely label-less and just ended up searching for a better deal that kept the same freedom that no label has, just without the hassle of having to give copies to every major record seller across the world. But that doesn't mean we should judge the artist over that track.

People used to gather next to record players, sit down, and enjoy the music. The album was to be heard as a whole product, not as some losely connected collection of tracks. If you want that, go buy a greatest hits album. Huge albums like The Wall, Nostradamus, Darkside of the Moon, American Idiot, Humanity, and a bunch of other consept albums are based around the idea that the listener not just skips to the best tracks when listening to a CD. Sure everyone has their favorites, but I would not have the whole album of Nostradamus, all two discs, on my walkman, if I hadn't found what beautiful harmony each track has with each other. Darkside of the Moon becomes a series of weird short stories instead of the description of a man. And it doesn't need to be a concept album for these things to happen. Serj Tankian's solo work ties in beautifully, each track blending into each other, working like a gigantic symphony. Even the less complicated and more passion and heart-led albums like TINAGOWTFAY's 101010 or Weird Al's albums or The Nightwatchman's material work better as an album and a concept than individually. It is sad to see people go onto music sites or music videos or on blogs bashing other bands when I bet that most of them have never bought one of that band's cd's, sat down, heard it beginning to end, and then made a judgement on them. And think about it: you don't need to spend that much money; most iTunes albums are cheap as hell.

Now, you might say: but I don't like that genre or that style or whatever! I'm a hardstryle, dubstep, hipster junkie mofo! Well, that STILL doesn't entitle you to saying you hate Justin Bieber. I admit I've said I hate him. But after careful thought, I respect him, and actually feel sad for him in several ways, I just don't like his music. But because "Baby" and all those other tracks he made are so comercially viable, it just gets thrown ontop of us without careful consideration of whether that artist even considers that his best work. What's more, it shows that a man (or boy or girl or woman) with talent might be lucky enough to get signed in a time where success is more dependent on contacts and how willing you are to cheat your way to the top. That's the only reason I respect him, although it will be sad for him to get pigeon holed into music that's not of my taste (not that I ever see him as becoming the next Rob Halford, but you never know).

tl;dr? In short, no one has ever sat to judge an entire musician's catalog with careful consideration to be able to use the word hate or bash a band the way we tend to do so now. They should keep it at "I don't like their/his/her music".

Some of you may disagree with Black, given she only has two songs, but she's in the same crapshoot as Bieber, IMHO.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I hate the song Friday.
I hate Ark Music.
But I respect Rebecca Black.

Lately she seems to be making up for her past shame, and she takes the entire internet hating her pretty darn well, I'd think. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/17/rebecca-black-friday-and-cyberbullying.html

Edit: To clarify.
She had nothing to do with the making Friday other than being offered a couple grand to sing it. She did not write it. It was not her choice to abuse autotune. She was given the choice of singing either Friday or a song about adult romance. Considering her age at the time, it was probably for the better that she chose a song contemplating about which seat in a car. The blame should be directed to Ark Records.

Edit 2: Oh, and that rapper guy. He's the one that wrote Friday. So yeah.

elbowlick

Jul 1, 2009
She's famous for a music video that's bad in every way to a confusing level. In terms of music the song is grating, and in terms of lyrics it's bafflingly stupid and even padded. The video alone is painful to look at and no one involved looks like they care. Just to make it worse they bridged it with rapper who's very out of place. It was her first song and thanks to its infamy that's going to be our perception of her for a very long time. First impressions are very important.
If anything, I feel kind of bad for her. She probably had no imput on the song itself other than singing it. I'd rather rag on someone with more pull in the industry, not some 13 year old. If anything, the song should be unknown.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Didn't we have this exact discussion like a month ago?

Anyway I don't hate her. Good for her that she's able to make songs and get some fame with them, I won't be listening to them though.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
She's young, popular, and has two annoying pop songs. What's not to hate?

Just kidding. I like Friday. The video is unbearable to watch without laughing your ass off at how terrible it is, but the song itself is catchy as Hell and wouldn't be so bad if her voice wasn't auto-tuned.

Ryhzuo

Sep 19, 2010
IkeGreil29 said:
For reference, here's my opinion on this.

I've been getting tired of people insulting other artists or the artists on YouTube music videos, so I'm just going to write a big long (Maybe shorter than I think, I tend to be more organized on paper) rant on why the heck people should stop saying they hate x band or y genre.

Here's the deal. In this digital age of mainstream music, no one ever listents to a full album anymore. I'm not saying that there aren't people that do, I personally listen to the whole album first before deciding what to rip to my computer and then pass onto my Walkman. I'm sure most metalheads still buy full albums and hard copy (holy shit that is so old) discs on CD stores. I'm sure there are Jazz lovers, Pop lovers, Dubstep, Hipsters, Emos, Punks, Goths et. al. that buy these albums. But 90 - 80 % of people now only listen to that one or three singles in the radio that get played because guess what? The artist doesn't have a say in what becomes a single, even if he poured his spirit, energy and everything into a single track, because it might not be commercial. And, I admit, not everyone has the guts to go Trent Reznor or Ash style and release content as it comes in the shapes of singles without having a record company as a medium. Marilyn Manson didn't have the money necessary to go completely label-less and just ended up searching for a better deal that kept the same freedom that no label has, just without the hassle of having to give copies to every major record seller across the world. But that doesn't mean we should judge the artist over that track.

People used to gather next to record players, sit down, and enjoy the music. The album was to be heard as a whole product, not as some losely connected collection of tracks. If you want that, go buy a greatest hits album. Huge albums like The Wall, Nostradamus, Darkside of the Moon, American Idiot, Humanity, and a bunch of other consept albums are based around the idea that the listener not just skips to the best tracks when listening to a CD. Sure everyone has their favorites, but I would not have the whole album of Nostradamus, all two discs, on my walkman, if I hadn't found what beautiful harmony each track has with each other. Darkside of the Moon becomes a series of weird short stories instead of the description of a man. And it doesn't need to be a concept album for these things to happen. Serj Tankian's solo work ties in beautifully, each track blending into each other, working like a gigantic symphony. Even the less complicated and more passion and heart-led albums like TINAGOWTFAY's 101010 or Weird Al's albums or The Nightwatchman's material work better as an album and a concept than individually. It is sad to see people go onto music sites or music videos or on blogs bashing other bands when I bet that most of them have never bought one of that band's cd's, sat down, heard it beginning to end, and then made a judgement on them. And think about it: you don't need to spend that much money; most iTunes albums are cheap as hell.

Now, you might say: but I don't like that genre or that style or whatever! I'm a hardstryle, dubstep, hipster junkie mofo! Well, that STILL doesn't entitle you to saying you hate Justin Bieber. I admit I've said I hate him. But after careful thought, I respect him, and actually feel sad for him in several ways, I just don't like his music. But because "Baby" and all those other tracks he made are so comercially viable, it just gets thrown ontop of us without careful consideration of whether that artist even considers that his best work. What's more, it shows that a man (or boy or girl or woman) with talent might be lucky enough to get signed in a time where success is more dependent on contacts and how willing you are to cheat your way to the top. That's the only reason I respect him, although it will be sad for him to get pigeon holed into music that's not of my taste (not that I ever see him as becoming the next Rob Halford, but you never know).

tl;dr? In short, no one has ever sat to judge an entire musician's catalog with careful consideration to be able to use the word hate or bash a band the way we tend to do so now. They should keep it at "I don't like their/his/her music".

Some of you may disagree with Black, given she only has two songs, but she's in the same crapshoot as Bieber, IMHO.
This thread is for discussing the reasons behind the hatred, not to justify or to disapprove of it.

Personally, I think it's less about her music and person and more of the fact that she gained notoriety on the internet. Memes like Rebecca Black's Friday always carry associations from the minute they're conceived. In the same way that you would use Chuck Norris to describe something totally awesome, you reference Friday whenever you want to talk about bad music. A lot of people don't HATE Rebecca, it's just what you do on the internet.

Lolcats are funny, the Japanese make crazy gameshows, in Russia everything is reversed, and Rebecca Black equals bad music.

Welcome to the internet.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Because it's such an obvious cash-in by soulless corporate executives that even most of the mainstream unwashed masses can sense it.

I mean, she's not the only incredibly not talented/attractive person to have a record deal (ke$ha, I'm looking at you), but I guess the song wasn't R rated like most mainstream pop-party songs.

So basically, everyone thought it was stupid.