Poll: Why does everyone seem to loathe Rebecca Black?

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Not gonna lie, I haaaaated the song when I first heard it. Now, it's kinda grown on me as a meme. Kinda like how people hated getting "Rick-rolled" but then eventually came to like that song too.

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
Because no matter how much hate she receives she still signs record deals,regardless of all the thumbs down on her youtube videos. It's like dealing with the village idiot, she never gets your meaning and people find that infuriating. And it doesn't help that she's getting famous without having any talent.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
I don't _hate_ her. I dislike her music.

There's a difference between someone as a person and what they do, people.

cl20

Nov 12, 2009
people hate her because she's 12 (or whatever) world famous and made cash with a song everyone hates. you could probebly go out on a limb and say that they hate her because she is naive, rich and better than you (because who of us made a song with 12?).

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Nothing about her bothers me. Songs like Friday and artists like her have come out in the past and she happens to be more famous.

Jun 11, 2008
I hate her music and all of its ilk with the burning passion of thousand suns and would love to throw it into the black hole created by those suns when they die if they were merged into a mega sun.

So no I do not hate her as a person I don't know her so I can't make that assumption.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I've just stopped giving a crap. Seriously, the quickest and most effective way for these people to vanish into the background is if you just ignore them and focus your attention into promoting good music with actual artistic merit and staying far away from manufactured shit.

Lukeydoodly

Sep 9, 2008
No idea.

Most pop music I am forced to listen to in the gym has far worse lyrics than her songs. Friday made me laugh at how bad it is, but most people in the charts have no idea what music is and are millionaires.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i'll be honest, ive heard a clip of her live on some news report (i think it was one of those 'Wake Up, its 6AM and We Get Paid to Get Up at Motherfucking 4:45 for You' shows) and she's a decent singer.
i hate that she got stupidly famous for a pointlessly-autotuned song that was stupid. i hate when things are pointlessly autotuned (this, gamu on the x-factor (there was a whole thing about that here in scotland), other stuff) and i hate how people can make money off something that makes no sense (though TBH most of the other stuff that came out ('Crappy Housewife' 'My Jeans' (thats the worst, she didnt even buy the jeans, she tried them one once. the premise is nonexistant. at least friday could be sung to little kids to teach them sunday comes after...) and that one by that guy Devlin) was worse than friday.)

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I dislike her because she has very little talent for singing, she uses autotune, and she still advertises herself as a kind of celebrity.
It takes more than a piece of freeware and some singing to become famous in a good way.
and what she does with the fame. so far, she's done exactly what everyone else with spare money did - the Japanese tsunami. That's it.
If I had that kind of influence, I would immediately endorse nuclear power, raise awareness of the Tau Ceti Project, etc.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
We, the internet should shun and troll her until the end of time, however this should never extend to death threats, or violence (as we are not a pack of mindless 12 year olds as media would have the rest of the public think), or anything she tries to do that isn't music related, as such should be seen as a blessing to us all, and we should in fact love her if she gives up musical based torture.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Do I hate HER? no, people don't seem to realise that it isn't usually possible to HATE someone you've never met.

I do however hate the popularity she's gained, I mean, she gained this popularity BECAUSE her music sucked, that just pisses me off to no avail; watching this BS happen while real talent gets shoved by the wayside.

kinapuffar

Nov 26, 2010
LawlessSquirrel said:
It's called a 'vocal minority'. I dare say most people with any opinion of her dislike her, but it's a much smaller number that outright hate her. Thing is, these are the people most likely to proclaim their hate to the world.

As for me...don't like the music, got nothing against the person. The hate really doesn't seem deserved.
A vocal minority didn't give her a hundreds of thousands of thumbs down on her video.

I don't hate her, as long as I don't have to listen to her sing I'm happy.
The problem with her is that she fucking SUCKS at singing. And no, you can most definitely say that someone sucks at singing, that's not subjective, that's objective fact.
She can't hit the notes, her singing is nasal as all hell, and she has absolutely no sense of crescendo and diminuendo.

As a musician, I hate her singing. But I don't give a shit about her as a person.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
To anyone who actually does hate Rebecca Black, Charlie Brooker has something to say to you:

Hating her over a song is ridiculous, no matter how crap.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
IkeGreil29 said:
well to be fair Rebecca black isn't a sell out like justin bieber. I mean He has multiple board games, dolls, and a book. even Miley Cyrus used to have a TV show to back it up, but justin bieber has no excuse plus he's proven himself to be a bit of a jerk. in fact I refuse to capitalize his name.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
My guess is that people feel she doesn't deserve this amount of fame with her complete lack of talent. (Let's not dispute that last bit, she's undeniably terrible even compared to other pop music.) She represents what people hate about the music industry, i.e. not caring about anyone with actual talent, just what generates attention and sales.

Death threats are a bit too far, but I at least kind of get why people dislike her.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Kinda, but not her personally. I hate what she is. She's a representative of the shit of our society. A talentless narcissist who is too young for this being forced into it by her parents and a naive ideal of life when she has nothing to offer, at all. All she does is encourage more talentless narcissists to step up and shout "why not me!?"

The answer is because you are worthless.

Anyway, I don't hate her, I just wish she'd shut up and exit stage right so we can have some actual singers. Not children who abuse auto tuning and have the musical know how of a rabid dog.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Her music is crap but I don't hate her.

I just don't listen to her music but at least she's doing something worthwhile with her youth.

Besides, I have to save my hatred for Man U and Everton.