Poll: Why does nobody seem to have the balls to criticize Undertale and its genocide mode?

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Nazulu said:
And for your third paragraph (I hope you don't mind me separating point like this), I knew this so I don't know why I asked, sorry :p
What I really wanted to ask is... I can't remember now. I need to make sure of something. What caused the previous resets and why couldn't he pick up on who did those? This is doing my head in now.
The previous resets were made by Flowey and before the other humans. That is pretty much established that not only Frisk has determination but humans in general (and some unique monsters like Undyne). The others just.. gave up after to many defeats.

Also Sans doesn't "know" how it exactly works and who's doing it. Flowey tells you after a bunch of neutral runs, that he once told Sans about his situation and the reaction of Sans was to curbstomp him. Flowey says something aline of that the Smiley Trashbag made him have his fair share of resets and he tells you to stay away from him.
He knows of the resets happening through his research though. Other than that, he's just good at reading people. That's why he knows how often you died already when you fight him.

PS: I recommend reading all of Flowey other Judgements here: http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/Flowey
He's acutally one of the best source of information.
PPS: Ah, that also explains your other question about Flowey not running from or fighting Chara. He knew he couldn't outrun her forever, she has the power to shape the world so he obviously could try it, i give you that, but keep in mind inside Flowey is a 6-10y old boy, who was just terrified of his impending death.
PPPS (this is getting stupid): If you're on genocide flowey says "we're inseperable after all these years" - so that's the answer to the "how long is this shit going" question.

Jan 27, 2011
Epyc Wyn said:
This thread is the Genocide Mode of arguments.
I don't know what you're talking about Epyc. I'm not having a Bad Time at all! :D

(Doo doo doo doot, doot doooo-etc)

Nazulu said:
1)
Oh, now this topic feels heavy. lol

2)
Those are good points in your first paragraph. I have to wonder why something as simple as a promise would prevent him from going all out and just getting it over and done with already. Then you have to wonder why he doesn't 'act' more on your genocide route (I don't mean fighting) to try and persuade you more when it is most important.

2)
I still have issue taking your points in your second paragraph though. I mean, I'd still think he would want to avoid being upset. And then I think about if he couldn't even be bothered stopping that horror show of his brothers murder, including the brutality after (including he even felt that even if they got out of the underground that the reset would happen anyway), it just feels really selective in what does and doesn't care about. I'd imagine in real life we would either become desperate or not give a shit about any of it, but he kind of sits humbly in the middle. Also, how does he know we were going to reset the first time after we kill his bro? Does he know the game is linear? Did he read the script? lol

3)
And for your third paragraph (I hope you don't mind me separating point like this), I knew this so I don't know why I asked, sorry :p
What I really wanted to ask is... I can't remember now. I need to make sure of something. What caused the previous resets and why couldn't he pick up on who did those? This is doing my head in now.
1) Great scott it's gotten heavy indeed!

2 both) Haven't the foggiest. *shrug* People-Errr...Skeletons are just complicated, I guess.

3) Flowey did the previous resets. All bazillion of them. Sans doesn't know he's the original Anomaly who can SAVE because Flowey didn't tell him on this reset, so as a result, he can't know. In fact, it's likely Flowey never talked to Sans on this reset, meaning that even though Sans is insanely good at reading people, he was never able to get a read on flowey and come to any conclusions. So to Sans, whoever is causing the resets is a mystery.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Lightknight said:
GZGoten said:
it's called genocide mode, you're not supposed to like it or enjoy it, you're supposed to feel bad about your actions, that's why it's so well done. The game makes you feel bad for murdering innocent people, it's not badly design, you're just a normal person that views murder as a bad thing
Ever play Skyrim or Morrowind or some open world game where you always had the opportunity to kill NPCs? Ever end a playing session by saving your game and wiping out a city before just turning the game off (without saving)? Kind of fun to do with no consequences or costs. If I could be convinced that the assembly of 1's and 0's had feelings then I'd feel very differently. But someone wrote those animations and that AI and the objects feel nothing in current tech.
I guess, but only seeing characters as 1's and 0's doesn't sound very satisfying to me. The characters in Undertale are just numbers on a screen. The characters in a Jane Austen novel are just words on a page. The characters in Watchmen are just drawings with speech bubbles. I mean, heaven forbid somebody actually tries to make something interesting. They shouldn't even bother, because fiction isn't real, and therefore doesn't have any value whatsoever. You should really just learn to carve a table or something.

I'm really tired of seeing this brought up any time a work of fiction gets criticized. Yes, thank you, the characters aren't real. We all get that. What we're trying to do is discuss the ideas brought up in the game. If you don't agree with the game, that's fine, but let's not argue the obvious fact that fiction isn't real.

Incidentally, if you want to play a game where you can relax and murder people, then there are about 5000 games that can do that for you. We're talking about the one game that doesn't. Seriously, it's like the people who get upset that Dark Soul's is hard. They somehow fail to see that the difficulty is the entire point.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Because UT is "OMG BEST GAME EVER" luldankmeme.jpg. Now it's time to repeat more unoriginal jokes by way of reaction images haveabadtime.gif lul Toby Fox invented that joke!

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Spoilers obviously
I mean, I'm not the biggest undertale fan (played it once, kinda sorta enjoyed it, and watched the other endings on youtube) but aren't the things you're complaining about kind of the point? You're actively discouraged from doing a genocide run and the effort you have to put in is meant to make you feel weird and creepy. Even if you're only doing so out of the obsession to see all the content in the game. I think the flower literally has a line of dialog like that near the end where he either insinuates that he did it for that reason and that's what made him evil or he insinuates that even if that's why you're doing it, you're still choosing an asshole. I don't remember what he says, but I know he brings it up directly.

In my opinion that just shows that you put your desire to see all the content in the game over your investment in the characters. That still makes you "bad" at least to the context of the game and how its characters perceive you. You're viewing it more as a checklist of things to clinically observe than the dynamic, personally reflective piece of art that it's trying to be. I feel like all the game is doing is pointing that out to you.

Personally I kind of agree with the point it makes. If you're going to try to "see" all the content in a game about choice, that kind of undermines the idea of choice entirely, doesn't it? Iunno whether you agree or not is subjective, but it's pretty clear with what it's trying to say.

All that said, I would probably rate the game way lower than you and have of plenty of problems with it, that just aint one of them.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Epyc Wyn said:
Is it good to make the player feel on a personal, ethical level like they are a bad person and disgust them with this large amount of negativity they feel in the process, in the name of good video game story-telling?
Sounds more like your problem than the video game's. If you find yourself easily manipulated to feel this extremely from playing the game maybe the game just isn't for you.

Haven't done the genocide route of Undertake and I'm not sure I ever will, but at worst I feel mildly sad about the notion I would be 'killing' the characters I like.

Quite frankly it's just not a big deal and I think the problem is that you're making it into one. It's a game, if you realize that it's silly to take its criticism that treats the world as real seriously.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I haven't played it. on my first run i assumed that you had to kill toriel. eventually i did and immidiately felt extremely guilty and stopped playing the game, contemplating wether i should return it. then my friend told me that it was possible to convince toriel to let you pass. even if i replayed the game i don't think i could force myself to play a genocide run. I might be a bit of a strange case though. I once tried to play an evil run of fallout 3. that ended about 5 minutes in when i insulted everyone at my birthday party and returned to my good run out of a feeling of guilt.

SweetLemonTea

Dec 18, 2012
My main gripe about the game is that I had to be pointed to the genocide/pacifist endings to do it. I've finished the game twice "Neutrally" and I never felt bad about killing the monsters because I've played the game with the mindset of saving the kid being the main goal. so everything felt justifiable to self defence.I did had some lingering doubts but then you find out they killed six other children before you and that some of the monsters were selling their belongings for PROFIT! That shattered all my doubts I lost all sympathy to the monsters and never looked back Which was further reinforced by finding out they kept their souls in jars .

The pacifist end after that felt hollow and forced to me. While I did like the genocide route a bit more I found it annoying that most characters ended up staying the same. Sans the only exception of course

I probably ruined the game for myself by playing it wrong but I can still understand why its so popular ,

Jan 27, 2011
RedRockRun said:
Because UT is "OMG BEST GAME EVER" luldankmeme.jpg. Now it's time to repeat more unoriginal jokes by way of reaction images haveabadtime.gif lul Toby Fox invented that joke!
0_o Any particular reason you're so bitter about the game's existence?

Or is it just the rabid fanbase? Because if it's the rabid fanbase, I can understand. I love the game to pieces and thought it was the best thing I played last year, but some of the fans are just plain insane.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Undertale felt too easy to me. Then the Genocide run appeared and made it unfairly hard.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
The first point, I can accept though disagree with. Difficulty is subjective, and the sudden spikes of the boss fights are noteworthy as design flaws from a usual gameplay design standpoint. I think that was intentional, given they are suppose to be a class above the usual monsters who even in game are said to be weak in general, but I can see that as a valid complaint with the mode, even if one I don't agree with.

The second though? The game made you feel bad which in turn made you not want to play it. That, in essences, is a good thing for the purpose of the art. Now at first you'd thing that as a purely gameplay idea, it doesn't make a lot of sense, the game makes you feel bad so you miss out on a third of the content and all that. But, if it was purely gameplay, than it wouldn't make you feel bad i nthe first place. That'd be the complaint about the difficulty above. Instead, this is a complaint about the story and message of the game, and that is entirely framed by the artist themselves and what they made the game to accomplish.

See, the point of it punishing your choice is similar to other games that punish the player through the story for their actions. This could be anything from games where stealing makes characters attack you, to more story-driven things like the Spec Op's notorious moment. The point why people praise this game for it though is it is done in a way that punishes the players emotionally, by knowing they like and are invested in the characters, and making the players feel like shit for committing genocide. It was designed to make you feel like shit, and it succeeds. In that I can not logically see it as a downside any more than someone complaining a game that is trying to be scary makes you scared and therefore do not want to play it. The story, message and purpose are the creator's, and that seems to be stressing the point that you are a bad person if you wish to commit genocide, with the expression of this done by forcing you to actually feel something when you do it compared to the countless other games that pay no heed to rampant massacres you commit.

The creator seems like they did not want you to complete genocide, and actively punishes you for doing so in numerous ways. And while the content you miss is enticing, it almost feels like the message the player receives as they play and complete the genocide route because of their determination to see it all is too on the nose.

In the end, the choice is yours and the nagging conscious you feel is exactly why people praise the game for what you see as a fault. You felt something. You felt it so strongly it actively affected how you played and wanted to play the game. That the story and characters did that is sadly all too rare in gaming and I am not surprised it is praised the way it was. I'll steal stuff in an elder-scrolls game without a second thought. I'll dump a basket on an NPC's head and take their whole shop and sell it back to them and not feel a thing. There is no emotional resonance or investment, and as long as I weight the mechanical pro's and cons of the action, I will do it for the benefit. I'll never finish genocide run though.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ok, I think I can do this. However, it feels like I've come back to a desk with a pile of documents and rotten fruit in my bowl. lol

Adeptus Aspartem said:
I snipped the first part completly. See, we just have to disagree on that part. The only thing i get is that you question how he could become so jaded. Well, because the writer wrote the character like that, it's fine if someone doesn't think that's how it would work, but clearly Toby disagrees there. There's no further explanation, since it's fiction written by someone.

But less arguing, on to the question about the timelines. In the fight Sans says this: " our reports showed a massive anomaly in the timespace continuum. timelines jumping left and right, stopping and starting... "
So he's talkin' about mutliples. Also we know from Flowey through all the diffrent playthroughs, that he tinkered with the timelines massively - probably even more so than the player. And also in a much longer timeframe.

The last part is can't be said 100% certain and is open to interpretation. The only time, where it seems plasubile for Sans to be part of that science team was when Gaster was still alive because of the timelines. Tori left after Chara died because Asgore became so enraged, she didn't know either Sans nor Alphys, who became the new scientist.
Also when you talk to the shopkeeper, she tells you that these skeletons just apperead out of nowhere years ago and asserted themselves on the village.

We don't know the exact timeframe since Chara's death and Frisks arrival, it could be a few months it could be decades. People thought the outfits (the gear) you can find from the other dead kids are not just "dress ups" but each belong to a certain time. And the game plays in 20xx but you can find cowboy outfits, so go figure if that theory is true.
But even if it's not we're talkin' quite some time.

Sure, since we can't confrim everything we could argue about that. But i just take what the game shows me. If it's not that way, then yes Sans wouldn't make that much sense, but since this is a possiblity i just go with Occams Razor.
If the shoe fits, wear it.
I would like if you checked my other questions in post 99. I believe I brought up some things that don't make much sense there, like why Sans doesn't act more on the genocide route when it's most important, and how he knows you're going to reset after you killed his brother the first time, or any time really. Unless you did and I just wasn't satisfied.

Anyway, like you, I mostly just take whatever artists wants to show me (I always know I can look for flaws but I try not to). It's only when I was near the end of the genocide run and was facing Sans that I realised it's his stupid fault he didn't do a bloody thing earlier! (I know this is repeating myself, but I think it's a bit different when I share my first impressions, because I think this ain't movin' anymore.)

So I lost sympathy for the guy. Sure, he's down because he feels his life is on repeat, but at the same time, he could've intervened, because what else is he going to do? What else does he have in his life to make him happy? According to everything we see in the game, Fuck All! Hell, wouldn't you try something different every time you felt deja vu? Would you not try it once to bring to other peoples attention to maybe actually solve the problem for once? You fucking would! You would've done it ages ago too. (I really thought this while during my first fight with him)

We can agree to disagree, no problem, and I appreciate all the time you spent here with me. However, I will always say he's missing some cognitive thinking, making him incredibly stupid.

Adeptus Aspartem said:
What i meant with unfair is, that on one side you cite things like the Bridge apparently is definitly the only entrance - because that's what we saw. But on the other side you start talkin' about unbreakable doors, which we havent seen.
Either we talk about what's 100% canon or we talk about "if it would be RL and we would be there, what other options could we use".

In the end? Nothing. Frisk survives Asriel as a basically god throwing Kamehamehas in his face. Chara destroys worlds. The monsters have nothing to stop Frisk except makin' the player quit, be it through having a happy end or on the Genocide trying to make them give up.

Also Asgore not using the souls is not illogical. He doesnt want to use them, he refuses it, he doesn't even want to kill the children. I can completly feel with him, doing something you don't really want and just meandering in a middle ground between a rock and hard place and you're not happy with either decision.
And no, in RL it's not always the hero story where people pull through at the last second and "do the right thing" and the game shows that over and over again. Those characters fail, they fail really hard, they're trapped in a limbo of despair and it's up to Frisk or Chara to either bring them love or LOVE and end the underground once and for all.

I know i'm jumpin' points here, but:
No matter how you look at it, they have the technology, but they can't defend themselves against one child?
Nope they cant. Monsters are barely physical. They hate violence, their Atk/Def shows that. Only 6 people down there can somewhat fight, the 2 boss monsters and 2 wierd scientist gaster-related skeletons and Undyne and a friggin Robot.
They can't even beat a human child on a pacifist run who's at Lv 1.
During the war the monsters were nearly wiped out and humans did not suffer 1 casualty. Yes, a mere child with a toy knife can eradicate all monsters.
That's the premise. You can find that incredible stupid, but it's not like the game isn't makin' that premise very clear.
When I said unbreakable doors, I meant the ones you needed to do puzzles to open in Hotlands (they seem impenetrable). I did not say "Asgore not using the souls is illogical", I said the other monsters not getting annoyed and lobbying criticism for not using the souls already is not logical. Unless they aren't that diverse in thought, but that's pretty lame.

Your last paragraph doesn't answer me at all, and you've already said that, I think more than once too (or it was that other guy). I didn't say I had a problem with once kid beating the whole monster race with a toy knife, that's fine with me. What you're not comprehending is, they did defend themselves at first. They did attack. Now on the genocide route when Sans and Alphy's know that you've gone psycho really early on, they didn't tell some others like, well... almost all your victims, including Muffet, the Royal Guards, and Fucking Asgore! And they don't do shit to help and stop the menace, like closing up Hotlands for good, and bombing the kid (which I'm always going to bring up till I see some evidence that Alphys saw the child as invincible). All these options all of us would think of straight away without a doubt. In fact, there is no reason why they couldn't bomb and then retreat.

You and everyone else can keep repeating how they can't stop Frisk, but they didn't know that, and it's still the smarter option by far (you are not going to change my mind here). Including, Alpys said she "was originally going to stop you" if she didn't grow attached to you when watching you on the screen. That's evidence she could, but everyone that could do something went retarded through our genocide run all of a sudden. Even if you had evidence that they believed the child became unstoppable, it's still the stupid option to hide because after Frisk killed a whole lot to achieve perfection, then it would've left them fucked if Frisk could get out (because the most important monsters all died), and if they didn't think that then she/he would be around forever (so still fucked).

They didn't plan ahead, but what really happened is that the genocide mode was not completed properly. It's easy for artists to make mistakes, especially in something as complex as this. And no, I can't pretend it all makes sense when it doesn't for me. No one here (and before) has been able to answer by biggest problems, just repeat things I already know.

Adeptus Aspartem said:
PS: I recommend reading all of Flowey other Judgements here: http://undertale.wikia.com/wiki/Flowey
He's acutally one of the best source of information.
PPS: Ah, that also explains your other question about Flowey not running from or fighting Chara. He knew he couldn't outrun her forever, she has the power to shape the world so he obviously could try it, i give you that, but keep in mind inside Flowey is a 6-10y old boy, who was just terrified of his impending death.
PPPS (this is getting stupid): If you're on genocide flowey says "we're inseperable after all these years" - so that's the answer to the "how long is this shit going" question.
Yeah, I thought it was Flowey. Thanks to you and aegix for reminding me.

I appreciate the link but I already looked there way before, it doesn't convince me though.

I can understand that him being young would make him more afraid of death, but I still feel like it's out of character because he's thrown himself in harms way so many times. He would have a lot of experience, and even asking you to kill him at the end of your first run, I don't believe pain was the biggest deal. Also, does he really know if Chara can 'shape the world'? I'm guessing some would say he felt Chara's power when he became scared, but that doesn't make much sense to me either.

Adeptus Aspartem said:
Anyway, i hope you're not takin' anything as agressive or anything, i'm just enjoying chatting about a great game and hearing some other prespectives on it - even if i don't agree with all of them.
Same here. I hope this is all easy to take in. It's kinda overwhelming to me now :p

I'm not sure I love Undertale, but it's possibly my 3rd highest game in my greatest game so far list. It's a big deal.

Buttking

Jun 11, 2016
I don't really know how you can call Genocide "harder" when a.) you can grind and level up by killing enemies, something you can't do in Pacifist and b.) in your second point you called the boss fights "awesome," so you clearly enjoyed something about the level of challenge anyway.

But more to the point, the fact that you keep calling the different story paths "content" shows that you're still operating within the stale, ineffectual completionist mindset that's having such a negative effect on games. The idea that every single moment of a game exists to be ticked off a checklist and deemed satisfactory by the player, as if they were polishing off a bag of chips. I applaud Fox for having the stones to create an entire story route designed from the ground up to be distasteful and show contempt for the player for choosing it. Guess what? You made the wrong choice. You deserve it.

It's much more compelling than either a game that only allows the good path, or one which treats all moral choices as essentially equal in service of providing "content" for the player. It's intrinsically tied to the main theme of Undertale- if you have infinite tries and no personal consequences, then you have a moral obligation to find the best possible outcome.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
fisheries said:
runic knight said:
I'll steal stuff in an elder-scrolls game without a second thought. I'll dump a basket on an NPC's head and take their whole shop and sell it back to them and not feel a thing.
Nitpick. You can't do this. You will feel something, and that something is a guard bludgeoning you. Morrowind would have shopkeepers report you for theft if you tried to sell them their own gear. Oblivion and Skyrim flag stolen goods, there's a perk to let you sell to shopkeepers, but I'm not sure if it'll let you sell it to the one you stole it from. Don't know about Daggerfall and Arena, but those three don't let you do that.
That is a game mechanic though, which I mentioned as something taken into account in my post.

"as long as I weight the mechanical pro's and cons of the action,"

I was referring to the complete lack of emotional response to stealing from the characters of the game. The guards attacking when the "thief" flag triggers is not the same thing as feeling guilty from stealing from the citizenry. That was the point I was trying to make, that despite the mechanical punishment in the game, there is no emotional response to robbing a shop blind in the elder scroll games.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
My experience with Undertale is I played it blind the first time, I killed some monsters because I wasn't paying full enough attention to what I was reading. I was stuck in my mentality of other RPGS, 'I have to kill things to get anywhere and experience the story, I have no other choice.' I didn't know Undertale gave you the option, all I heard was that it was a good game, I purposely avoided any spoilers. I killed Toriel, but, meeting Sans and then Papyrus after, I grew to like them, so much that I spared Papyrus. But, then I ended up killing Undyne. A couple days later I couldn't bring myself to play it again and I never will. I feel I don't deserve to restart and go full pacifist, its not gonna make up for my past actions even if I make it impossible for the game to know. I watched others play the game instead, to learn about the game and also to experience it with them, I enjoy others reactions and opinions on things.

Yes, the Genocide run makes you feel terrible, I wasn't even going full Genocide and it still made me feel horrible, so bad I'll never touch it again as I said prior. That is the only game I can ever say made me feel like that, unlike so many others that claim to have a good 'moral choice' system. It's so shallow it might as well not matter or be there (aka Fable). I could kill everyone, in every town, in Fable, slaughter an endless amount of guards, but, all I gotta do is wait and my actions will be forgotten, or donate all my gold I got from killing everyone to donate to one of the churches that give me 'good' morality points. My actions will never be acknowledged after that again since the game isn't designed to do that, I'll still be the 'hero' in the end.

In Skyrim I can steal all the food, potions, gold, whatever I can from everyone in game and it will also not impact the game. The NPCs won't starve to death, or even stop working in any way without what I stole from them. All it could take is something, or someone saying, "hey, your satchel seems pretty packed... I'm looking for a thief around the village, mind showing whats in there?" From a guard, finding all your stolen goods without you having to sell them to expose yourself. Some force out of your control to punish you. I'd know because I've done that very thing, see how much I can steal without getting caught, then I'd run around and play a while, go back and steal it all again when it restocks. My actions are never talked about or mentioned by anyone.

I say an innovation we need in games is more systems like what Undertale has done, the game turns on you, the game makes you feel horrible for killing everything like a mindless, moral-less monster. I don't regret playing Undertale, but I regret my actions, it made me think a lot over everything I've done since I first played games, the gravity of all my murder. I feel like going back and trying to play games without killing anyone at all, but if I have to kill someone to advance the story, thats not a 'pacifist run' game, so they won't count. You should try it too.

Gabriel Meserve

Aug 9, 2016
Undertale is dangerous, because it can make players feel intense negative emotions (guilt, shame, etc.) which might threaten their self-image/self esteem. Neurotic people who cannot handle stress should not play Undertale.

I have autism. Watching internet celebrities play Undertale made me feel very angry, sad and guilty, and made me consider myself an evil person. I believe that playing Undertale could traumatize people who have worse mental illnesses than mine, or even make them want to kill themselves (to commit suicide). Simple-minded or weak-willed people, who cannot control their thoughts or emotions, should not play Undertale. Undertale should warn these people to not play it; it should have a trigger warning.

My home country is the United States of America. I try to write this message in simple and redundant English, so that many people can understand it, and computer programs might translate it better into other languages if I formatted it correctly. Please publicize it; copy it everywhere you can, and tell the people who created Undertale.

Thank you!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Gabriel Meserve said:
Undertale is dangerous, because it can make players feel intense negative emotions (guilt, shame, etc.) which might threaten their self-image/self esteem. Neurotic people who cannot handle stress should not play Undertale.

I have autism. Watching internet celebrities play Undertale made me feel very angry, sad and guilty, and made me consider myself an evil person. I believe that playing Undertale could traumatize people who have worse mental illnesses than mine, or even make them want to kill themselves (to commit suicide). Simple-minded or weak-willed people, who cannot control their thoughts or emotions, should not play Undertale. Undertale should warn these people to not play it; it should have a trigger warning.

My home country is the United States of America. I try to write this message in simple and redundant English, so that many people can understand it, and computer programs might translate it better into other languages if I formatted it correctly. Please publicize it; copy it everywhere you can, and tell the people who created Undertale.
Thank you!
Oh, give me a freak'n break. A trigger warning? Really? How did you think the game was going to treat you when you were actively killing characters? The game only treats you like the villain when you act like the villain. Not everything needs to hold your hand, or be sanitized. Besides, a trigger warning would be bordering on a spoiler for a game like Undertale.

Gabriel Meserve

Aug 9, 2016
Fox12 said:
Gabriel Meserve said:

Thank you!
Oh, give me a freak'n break. A trigger warning? Really? How did you think the game was going to treat you when you were actively killing characters? The game only treats you like the villain when you act like the villain. Not everything needs to hold your hand, or be sanitized. Besides, a trigger warning would be bordering on a spoiler for a game like Undertale.
I did not play Undertale, so I did not "actively kill characters". I did not read the spoilers or know anything about Undertale when I watched people play it, so I did not know that Undertale made players and watchers feel so bad. That surprised me.

Watching Undertale made me feel very bad, but I would not, and did not, NEED a trigger warning. Only "people with worse mental illnesses than mine" might need a trigger warning.

A trigger warning would not "sanitize the game" or "hold the player's hand"; it would not remove content. A trigger warning would say "WARNING: this game could make you feel intense negative emotions (guilt, shame, etc.) and question what is real or fiction. If you have a mental illness, do not play.". People could then choose to play Undertale or not, even if they know nothing else about it. IF they chose to play, it would run normally.

EDIT:

Undertale does not just treat you like the villain "when you act like the villain"; it sometimes scolds you harshly for making a mistake, and assumes (or pretends) that you meant to sin. As soon as I learn how to hide spoilers, I can explain when Undertale does this.

A trigger warning might be a minor spoiler, but it is very important. People with severe mental illnesses are more fragile than we are; if they play the wrong game without knowing that it could hurt them, they might become traumatized. Please respect them, and show them mercy.