Poll: Why HD Remakes from Last Gen?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
omicron1 said:
GonzoGamer said:
Netrigan said:
GonzoGamer said:
I would love to play the original Fallout and Fallout 2 in the Fallout 3 engine (rather, whatever they're replacing it with; that engine's a mess) but something like God of War 1 & 2 isn't old enough to be that much different from the last gen version.
Assuming you own a later model PS3 and you want to play God Of War 1 & 2. The only way buying the older version is cheaper is if you already own a PS2. Factor in the purchase of a PS2 and at least one memory stick into the equation and suddenly spending about $10 more for the PS3 version of the game seems like a pretty decent deal.

And it doesn't look like ass on your HDTV.

I've only recently made my way back to consoles. I had an Atari 2600, a NES, then switched over to PC gaming. Now that PC gaming and console gaming are on a fairly even footing, I went over to console gaming for the convenience. I did end up buying a PS2 to play older games... but I've barely played it. Simply too far away from what I'm used to. I'll probably end up giving it away when I finally play through the games I bought for it.
Yes.
Of course my opinion is entirely based on the assumption that everyone has a ps2; mostly because everyone I know has one.
But even then, you can get a ps2 for pretty cheap and the games for it you can get for a few bucks each.

Then this adds the whole other point:

omicron1 said:
They're cheap to make, and easy to sell - but a hard sell on their own, which is why you normally see "compilation" packages. In a way, though, it's dishonest - for example, when Sony sells a compilation package of PS2 games for your PS3, having removed PS2 backwards compatibility, it is asking more money for games you may already own. Is the "remastering" enough to be worth it? I do not know.
As someone who's owned many of these games on the ps2, it seems like a sneaky shit thing to do.

Of course for those few people who missed last gen, it's a good thing.
One thing worth noting that I just found out recently is that Sony are replacing the hardware PS2 emulation with software emulation - in effect, adding back in the ability to run certain PS2 games. Which I thought was a right classy thing for them to do, and supports the idea that the PS2 emulation was removed to save on costs.
I actually heard the opposite.
The last I heard was that they were going to re-introduce BC but with an add-on you plug into the usb port. Sounds kind of like the 360s old hdvd drive. Okay so that isn?t quite the opposite.
Better than nothing I guess.
The BC thing never bothered me because my ps2 still works allright.
I suppose that if they remade something like San Andreas I might get it. But seeing as I have the PC version with the mods, they would have to do something wild with it. Another franchise that?s gone downhill since last gen is Burnout. If they remade Burnout revenge, I might get that but I would still want them to do more than just remaster the graphics. I would want more cars in those crash junctions.

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
I love this trend, and as long as it stays in the download only space, i will continue to love them (I'm not paying $60 for an amped-up version of TMNT).
Btw, am I the only person who wants an HD remake of super Star Wars? does anyone remember those old SNES classics?

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Firstly (at least for me) forget achievements. I think it's almost downright bizarre that people care about those things. I am, however, in support of many HD remakes. It is easy for me to go back and play 2-D anything (we're mainly talking NES SNES SEGA GENESIS here) because 16 and 32 bit graphics have a completed charm and style. That being said, as soon as you make the leap to the 64 bit, people started playing with 3-D models and really couldn't get it right. At the time, I freaking loved it--and so did everyone else. But in the age of high-powered 3-D systems, it's difficult for me to go back and actually enjoy games like perfect dark, etc. In fact, they often give me a headache.

Here is one more reason. For this, I'll use Beyond Good and Evil (which has an HD rerelease on the way next month). Great game....but on Gamecube. I just don't own one of those things anymore. There is no way for me to play Beyond Good and Evil again without buying one (and yeah, that's not going to happen)

So there are a lot of reasons to do these remakes, and honestly, why not?

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
I'll say the same thing I always say on these matters achem...

I WANT A NEW IP, I DON"T WANT TO PLAY THE SAME FUCKING GAMES OVER AND OVER

caps/

sorry but it is getting to the point where a sequel is the norm and a new ip is out of the ordinary, no other art form would take this kinda sequel beating, even hollywood and thats saying something

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Kinda in two minds about remakes really

One part of me disagrees with them as they take up time and resources that could be spent making new games

Another part of me agrees with them as it's nice to be able to buy games I missed first time around

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
There a good way to get an entire franchise on one disk, I only ever played POP:The Sands of Time, i got the collection and played other two, I had never played A Sly Cooper game, so i bought the collection and played all 3. When i got a PS3 the first game i wanted to play was GOW3, but i knew nothing about the story, so i bought the God of War Collection!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I like it because they shaft us with no backwards compatibility so they are giving us a shinier product than last gen on this gen so at least there is some, "well, you can play SOME games you remember from the ol' days on our new system"

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
I know in the case of shadow of the colossus and Ico? the are fixing some serious frame rate issues with the HD release.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I think they're quite good. I'd rather play Shadow of the Colossus in HD with updated graphics then the original.