Poll: Why is Uncharted so polarizing?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
They are really quite proficient at certain things, and really rather bad at others.
Unfortunately for me the things it does well are not things I enjoy. (Over other game mechanics/elements)

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
its not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but given how much I like the first 3 Indiana Jones movies and the lack of a good Indy style film since, Uncharted has given me what I wanted, a modern Indiana Jones trilogy, so I'm content with the series as being the second best PS3 series

unrelated but, InFAMOUS takes the number 1 spot, for PS3 exclusives anyways

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
It's pretty good, but not a series I'm exactly excited to play beforehand. I actually liked the original more than Uncharted 2, and have yet to play Uncharted 3.
Fun while I play it, but nothing I rave about afterwards.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
DustyDrB said:
The first and second game have pretty terrible third acts involving cheesy mystical BS. The third one lacks that (it sort of teases it, but turns out it is something of a drug trip). That makes the third one far and away my favorite. So it's actually getting better with time.
Except that the lack of mysticism in Uncharted 3 doesn't grant the villains any real motivation for going after it. Apparently they want some cursed vase that turns any water source poisonous with like "fear water", but throughout the game it was very apparent they already had the ability to produce those effects anyway. They drug both Drake and the other guy with roughly the same results.

So what was the point of them risking their entire operation chasing after a power which they already have?
By Sully's Magnificent Mustache, you're right! Damn my tendency to overlook plot holes...

Well, my main issue is that I don't think the supernatural stuff fits in the games. Those were my least favorite parts of both of the first two games, as it takes the focus off the human drama and rivalry. And it completely created a jarring shift in tone in the first game. But yeah, they did mishandle the villain's goal in Uncharted 3. I still like that game the best out of the three, though.

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
IanBrazen said:
Iyon said:
IanBrazen said:
You know, while I thought the stories of first two games weren't anything special, I agree with you about the third game and it really did turn things around for me story wise. I loved the back story they added with Sully and Drake, and I thought the entire story was very well executed.

Also, I always felt like I was playing the story, unlike some other games where I feel like I'm just killing bad guys until the next cut scene. And that's something not all games can get right, especially when it comes to linear shooters.

There's a lot to like about the Uncharted games, which is why I get so disappointed by the mechanics in them. It really made a sizable part of the game not enjoyable or fun to me.
It just seems kinda silly that your killing like 100 guys just for treasure, if anything I think it should have at least been mostly a brawler.
Have you played the second two games? (not played the first myself so I can't comment there) Drake isn't killing people for treasure. He's killing people who're trying to kill him. Usually because the artifact he's looking for is some sort of world dominating power that a baddy wants to use.
I know hes just killing out of self defense but I'm just saying all the gun play seems a little out of place is all.
Don't get me wrong I like all the games but I just think a shooter isn't what the games should be.
Some shooting segments would be great, Im just saying I dont think it should be the core mechanic.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I downloaded a demo of one of the games a long time ago.

I got about 30 seconds in, saw that it was going to be yet another third person cover based shooter and deleted it immediately.

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
IanBrazen said:
Abandon4093 said:
IanBrazen said:
Iyon said:
IanBrazen said:
You know, while I thought the stories of first two games weren't anything special, I agree with you about the third game and it really did turn things around for me story wise. I loved the back story they added with Sully and Drake, and I thought the entire story was very well executed.

Also, I always felt like I was playing the story, unlike some other games where I feel like I'm just killing bad guys until the next cut scene. And that's something not all games can get right, especially when it comes to linear shooters.

There's a lot to like about the Uncharted games, which is why I get so disappointed by the mechanics in them. It really made a sizable part of the game not enjoyable or fun to me.
It just seems kinda silly that your killing like 100 guys just for treasure, if anything I think it should have at least been mostly a brawler.
Have you played the second two games? (not played the first myself so I can't comment there) Drake isn't killing people for treasure. He's killing people who're trying to kill him. Usually because the artifact he's looking for is some sort of world dominating power that a baddy wants to use.
I know hes just killing out of self defense but I'm just saying all the gun play seems a little out of place is all.
Don't get me wrong I like all the games but I just think a shooter isn't what the games should be.
Some shooting segments would be great, Im just saying I dont think it should be the core mechanic.
I probably won't disagree there. I enjoyed the exploration much, much more than the combat.
Exactly. I know I keep reiterating my point, but the shooting feels just soooo out of place.
First level in #3 your in a bar fight after a tense exchange, second level is a great puzzle followed by an exciting chase on rooftops. Third level your murdering people in a catacomb. A rather dark turn if you ask me.
Like I said I Don't think the shooting should be taken entirely, but It should be reserved for specific set pieces like when Drake gets rescued in the desert.
Anyways that's all I have to say about that.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
How come people don't talk about the tiny/brilliant details that are in Uncharted that really put it ahead of other shooters

- Drake's cover animations are dynamic and he assumes a different pose for each time he leans on a way or small wall
- His journal while it is used for obvious hints, you see very personal details about Drake there such as his various sketches, his notes on his previous adventures, his insight on his friends and how he writes thier phone numbers
- Drake's melee combat animations show us a man who is not formally trained how to fight. You see his sloppy punches, his shuffling footwork and his willing to do crazy things such as pulling the pins on enemy gernades or using his gun as a club
- Drake constantly panicing by his perdiciments or whenever gernades are tossed his way

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I love love love the Uncharted series.
The puzzles aren't so great but the action feels organic and the set-pieces are REALLY intense. Yeah, they're a little scripted, but I do enjoy how the game will throw the controls back into your hands where other games go "Stop, we'll take it from here."