Poll: Will Duke Nukem continue

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
god i hope so, gearbox is the right studio to build something from the ground up, and make it amazing, there actual own work, instead of "hey, we'll stuff it in the cardboard box u don't have." :p

Dukenstein

Jul 14, 2010
It's going to get a sequel, it's my favorite FPS since Half Life 2. I give DNF an 8.5 and HL2 a 9.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I hope so. I grew up with Duke and would love to see him in a new game done better.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It will depend on how Forever sells. I know it's been getting the reviews it deserves, but sales might be another matter.

If enough people are willing to pay for a rotting reanimated corpse, then that is what the industry will produce.

Mar 30, 2010
God, I hope not. Let's face it, the whole focus of DNF was poking fun at Duke for being an outdated relic. Therefore what is the point in carrying on the franchise? He'll only get more and more outdated, and seem more and more pathetic. I enjoyed the games released in the 90s, but times move on, and gamers need to know when to let something die.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It will come back for at least one game. There are plenty of Duke Fans who still love the character (I am not one of them, but everyone has their own tastes), but did not like the shoddy excuse for a game that DNF was - jeez, FOURTEEN YEARS of work and THAT'S what they make? Inexcusable. However, Gearbox, an actual competent developer, has the right to make more Duke Games now. Gearbox only patched together DNF out of the garbage that 3D realms released. While I don't think Gearbox should have released garbage, when it was clearly garbage, they weren't responsible for the mess that DNF was - you can pin that on Broussard and co who kept on remaking the game out of a petty sense of pride and stubbornness, to the point where nothing they made was up to date (read the Wired article).

So there are plenty of folks (again, not one of them, I never played DN:3D) who would love to see a REAL developer make a Duke Game. They'll excuse DNF for being crap (honestly who thought it could ever have been good? You knew the development history of DNF, how could you have ever entertained the possibility that out of that mess something beautiful would grow?), but they'll buy the next one, hoping that this time, THIS time it will be good.

But if the next Duke Nukem game comes out horrid, then the franchise is sunk for good.

ERROR989

May 14, 2011
Unlikely. Duke Nukem died. Forever wasn't a game in the series, but an attempt at a reboot. So far, the popular opinion is it's shit. The series will likely be abandoned if it gets enough bad reviews.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Eh, if we go back to the Duke from Duke Nukem 1, that one actually came close to being parody. Anything after Duke Nukem 2 needs to be buried and forgotten~ Or at the very least DNF needs to be buried and forgotten.

That said, I could still live a long and healthy life if DNF was the final Duke Nukem game to ever be released.