Poll: Will gaming live forever?

mythbuster343

Mar 19, 2009
Yes it will. As advances in tech. keep going, we'll some day have VR games (not Virtual Boy) Where we actually go into the game. Just think, some day we'll be able to play Call of Duty and WE r the person in the game

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
sgtshock said:
I've actually been thinking about this. I'm certainly optimistic it'll be around forever, but then compare video games to a similar medium: comic books.

-Both were all the rage for kids in their respective decades (40s-50s and 90s-00s).

-Both were thought to be the devil by media and organized religions.

-Both weren't seriously considered art by the older generations. (yes, some games can certainly be considered art, but Okamis and Shadow of the Colossi are few and far between. Roger Ebert still refuses to consider games art).

While comic books certainly aren't dead today, they're nowhere near there old popularity and reading them in public will usually get you laughed at. Are video games doomed to the same?
Fixed.

On another note, gaming will live forever, so long as you don't cut its head off. It's like Highlander, only with media formats.

Argentavis

Mar 18, 2009
As long as people enjoy it, gaming will live.
It will experience crashes, like the one from 1986, but it will emerge better than ever, like after the one from 1986.

Saltiness

Dec 3, 2007
I'm hoping it gets hit with another video game industry crash. It's in dire need of trimming the fat that stifles it so badly (you know the industry is totally awesome when GDC give Fo3 a writing award).

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Gaming has been around for hundreds of years, just not as we know it now. There will always be some form of gaming.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
video gaming might be only a few decades old, but gaming has actually been around at least 1000 years. Look at things like chess, draughts, and mahjong!
So my guess is yes gaming shall live forever, but it might come to being freed of its console-shackles and perhaps delve into virtual reality, or some other frontier.