Poll: Will PC gaming thrive or dive?

Piscivore

Apr 12, 2011
I'm an avid PC gamer, and although I dabble in the consoles my heart is with my gaming rig(named Allie). I just wanted to know what the popular opinion of the future of the PC in the industry will be.

Do you think PC games will do well, or is the console monster a few small bites from finishing us keyboard gamers off?

Also interested in your thoughts on what makes PC gaming better or worse than console gaming.

If this poll is already out there I apologize. I'm new.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
I...Why do you people think PC gaming is just going to vanish? If gaming exists, PC gaming will exist. It's not going anywhere. We aren't all going to slowly become console gamers. The worst that can happen is they become unified into some mutant. Like the iPhone.

Just because big publishers hate PCs doesn't mean it's going to die. There's plenty of support out there.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
"Will"? It already has. It's just that some people insist on dragging its corpse around, talking to it and telling everybody it's alive.
I'm sorry Steve, Hannah didn't make it. You need to accept it, bury her and move on. Continuing on this path just makes a mockery of her beautiful life.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
PC gaming is never going to go away permanently. That said, it is never going to be as prominent as it once was either. While consoles as we know them might die out eventually, PC gaming will still be around. There is really nothing that can change that fact, short of a global apocalypse.

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
Souplex said:
"Will"? It already has. It's just that some people insist on dragging its corpse around, talking to it and telling everybody it's alive.
I'm sorry Steve, Hannah didn't make it. You need to accept it, bury her and move on. Continuing on this path just makes a mockery of her beautiful life.
Explain to me why PC gaming is dead. If it was Steam wouldn't be making 960 million a year would it. PC gaming is strong and continues to get support from most developers. DICE is making Battlefield 3 with a PC first mindset. If PC gaming was dead then there would be no point to it. Steam and other digital distributors will have also gone by now.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
I don't think it's a "PC vs Console" question really. I mean, think of all people who play social games on facebook. That's TECHNICALLY PC gaming, it's just not on a AAA budget.

More likely though, I think BOTH PC and Console games are going to start to decline. We are now coming to an era where computing devices are getting smaller, cheaper, and just as powerful. It's not much of a stretch of the imagination that soon your gaming platform might just be a really awesome mobile device with a bluetooth controller and a monitor plugin.

I mean, it's not like Steam HAS to just stay with PCs. They could, given the will, just as easily use their platform to sell iphone games. they don't right NOW because the title selection is somewhat limited. But given the amount of mobile device developers out there and the ludicrously low dev entry barrier for them, is it really that hard to imagine that publishers and devs will not start to take note and switch gears to start exploiting the mobile devices?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
The the Extra Credits this week was any indication, consoles and PCs will merge together and just focus on portable, like a PSP notebook or something.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
It will CONTINUE

Beyond that, it's up to the market. Signs point to it doing well though. Very well.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Donnyp said:
Lol this thread has been done to death lol.

OT: I think PC has the DLC market cornered with Mods. But as for Connection to all others it's console gaming. Not saying no one uses PC for online gaming but not everyone has the money to buy Gaming Rigs.
The "It costs a lot" argument has been done to death too, and numerous people, including myself, can tell you that it doesn't cost nearly as much as you think it does.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Jmurray21 said:
Souplex said:
Explain to me why PC gaming is dead. If it was Steam wouldn't be making 960 million a year would it. PC gaming is strong and continues to get support from most developers. DICE is making Battlefield 3 with a PC first mindset. If PC gaming was dead then there would be no point to it. Steam and other digital distributors will have also gone by now.
...There is only one remaining PC exclusive AAA developer,(Blizzard) and they might soon cave.
According to Michael Pachter PC game sales are 7% of total game sales.
Find me evidence of these supposed mounds of cash Steam is raking in. Profits, not sales numbers alone.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Yes, because a variable generalization for a computing machine will surely become obsolete to definitive computing machines and the entertainment of which they provide.

Regardless that the vast majority of provided entertainment is available on either system.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
gamer_parent said:
More likely though, I think BOTH PC and Console games are going to start to decline. We are now coming to an era where computing devices are getting smaller, cheaper, and just as powerful.
This argument has never made much sense to me. If wee gadgets of the future have the power of a current high end desktop then the high end desktops of the future will be stupidly powerful by simple virtue of being able to squeeze more components into a large box than into a wee handheld gadget. Oh, and large boxes are also easier to run cooling systems in, so no need to factory underclock components so they don't melt the wee gadget either.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Souplex said:
Jmurray21 said:
Souplex said:
...There is only one remaining PC exclusive AAA developer,(Blizzard) and they might soon cave.
Find me evidence of these supposed mounds of cash Steam is raking in. Profits, not sales numbers alone.
AAA guys, it's all there is. Ever. In the whole universe.

There is no 4A Games now, no GSC Game world, or CD Projekt or Creative Assembly, no Crytek, even if Crysis 2 isn't PC exclusive, it was ported to consoles. No sea of independent developers.

AAA is all that matters!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Piscivore said:
I'm an avid PC gamer, and although I dabble in the consoles my heart is with my gaming rig(named Allie). I just wanted to know what the popular opinion of the future of the PC in the industry will be.

Do you think PC games will do well, or is the console monster a few small bites from finishing us keyboard gamers off?

Also interested in your thoughts on what makes PC gaming better or worse than console gaming.

If this poll is already out there I apologize. I'm new.
Ive decided one thing....

its jsut best not to think about it, seriously Ive done pletly of threads about PC gaming dying and really what ever anyone says the best thing for me to do is jsut play games and have fun
Souplex said:
Jmurray21 said:
Souplex said:
It really dosnt set my mind at ease when people say "PC gaming isnt dying" and then point to farmville or WOW, anyway Blizzard may be a big player (and since when were they going under?) but I mean I still buy games for PC (retail too) and none fo them are from blizard

my point is blizard alone to me doesnt single handedly prop up PC gaming...sure pretty much 99% of games are ports...but I can still play them and thats what matters

and then theres valve and bioware, they may not be "exclusive" to PC but they still whole heartledly suport the platform

besides Like I care if somthings exclusive...if its good Ill play it

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Souplex said:
Jmurray21 said:
Souplex said:
Steam's profit margin is 70% whereas retail is roughly 30%. Since people like to put out these numbers of pc game sales, I should ask if they include steam or digital sales, since almost every instance they're not included.

Edit: figure I'd link this since I found it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107742-Gabe-Newell-The-Next-Videogame-Billionaire

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
oplinger said:
AAA guys, it's all there is. Ever. In the whole universe.

There is no 4A Games now, no GSC Game world, or CD Projekt or Creative Assembly, no Crytek, even if Crysis 2 isn't PC exclusive, it was ported to consoles. No sea of independent developers.

AAA is all that matters!

Eastern Europe is the Promised Land of Developers for PC gamers at the moment.