Poll: Will you be buying Evolve? how does the DLC plan affect your buying habits?

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Just curious, lets imagine for the sake of this that a review from the future has fallen through a wormhole and we can know that the game will good stable bug free and fun.

im wondering just how much people care about this DLC issue , the game if you dont know has been pushing its DLC since before the first screen caps were released their is a season pass planned and a bunch of future DLC's are already announced.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Might be worth getting at a later date when all the DLC is out and there's a game of the year version with all the DLC for a single price.

My problem with this game is that it seems like for the $60 base price you aren't getting much of a game. Everything is being held back to be bought at a later date as DLC, which would be ok with me if the base game had a budget price of $15 or $20, but considering the DLC is going to make the game more than double in size, and considering the number of characters and monsters the game is shipping with is tiny there's no way it's worth the initial $60 price tag.

There's only 3 monsters and 4 hunters in the base game, I don't care how much work went into balancing and testing them, that's not nearly enough for a $60 game.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I dont like the way they are setting it up to be honest particularly at that price point. As Dirty Hipster mentioned I also dont think there is enough content to justify what they are asking initially even without the DLC.

It sounds like its going to continue the trend of games like Ground Zeros, Titanfall, Destiny and even Killer Instinct to a lesser degree in giving us less for more which I am not happy with and try not to support.

Im also worried how fun the game will end up being. In short I have a lot of reservations about the game and the only reason I havent completely written it off is I am looking for a game I can play with friends in a genre at least most of us dont hate (we all like different games usually). The DLC is one big reservation I have.

also isnt it out this week? and I havent seen much on it recently no reviews or anything like that so alarm bells are ringing there especially as what I heard before was not generally positive.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Can't say I will. I already play Left 4 Dead 2 with mods to make the zombies into aliens and the survivors into Halo/Mass Effect/MLP characters.
So I guess I already do play Evolve.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I was going to buy it if the reviews were solid on release, but after seeing the cost of the DLC, I can wait. 14.99 and 7.99 for a monster and a hunter is just crazy. I can wait until a GOTY edition or something comes out... even then I may not buy it full price.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
After getting in on the Closed Beta, Evolve moved up into "must buy"-territory for me. The beta was surprisingly stable, the gameplay varied even with only one game mode thanks to the 12 hunters and 3 monsters available. Yes, the DLC scheme is a little gouging, but considering the amount of variation in the Beta, it is safe to say that the base game won't feel like a neutered version but will be a complete game in its' own right.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
I planed on buying it after watching the gameplay, it seems like a lot of fun. But the DLC have made me decide to use the money elsewhere.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I'll get it once I have a PC that can run it.

It looks like fun and I consider the asking price to be worth the content that it gets you.

I do not object to DLC of any kind, but I don't care for all the pre-order bullshit. I just want to buy the game, get all the things, and not have to fuck around.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really want to get it, the beta was super fun, but considering how they are handling dlc and the fact that the game is $60. No, I'm going to wait, if it was 60 and came with the season pass, then I would be all over it, but that much with more dlc needed to get more out of it, waiting for a sale.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I got the chance to play the beta version they put up on steam for free for a day or so. I thought the game was great, and I was pretty geared to buy it when it came out.

And then I saw the price tag. Popularity can only go so far. I'm not buying a $40 game for $70.

I also just found out I can review it! Wait, no. For some reason, other people can review it, but I cannot. I have to wait until the game is released. I'm going to put up a reminder, so I can.

Cool! I can review the game! And warn people not to buy a game worth $40 for a minimum of $70. (CAD)

There is a large amount of controversy in regards to the game's DLC Practices. The cheapist option is $70, and you only get the base game. From there, you'd need to subscribe for the season pass to get the additional content. For those who forgot about it, Evolve has been trying to cram DLC into our throat over a year ago, and it's getting released on the 10th of Febuary.

Educate yourself. DO NOT, inform companies this is acceptable consumer practices.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/01/22/evolve-director-pushes-back-against-dlc-criticism/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139574-Evolve-Dev-Says-no-Dirty-Underhanded-S
http://dispatches.cheatcc.com/1477

If you want to ignore my warnings, here's a chart to help you understand what the fuck you'll actually be getting, by burning copious amounts of disposable income.

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/preorders-special-editions-and-dlc-buyers-guide/27225

Yes. A chart. It's a fucking chart. Good game, but most certainly not worth the money.

purplemonkey555

Aug 23, 2013
I really liked the Beta, had a great time wrecking teams as the monster, so I'm probably going to pick it up.
Dirty Hipsters said:
There's only 3 monsters and 4 hunters in the base game, I don't care how much work went into balancing and testing them, that's not nearly enough for a $60 game.
There are actually 12 hunters, 3 for each class. I agree about the monsters though, I think they could have had more.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
At least two of my friends will be getting it, so I'm in a tight spot where I'll either have to play "alone" later, or play with them now.
So, I might? Really don't know...

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Not bothering on sheer principle. Look, you may well have a good game here. I don't deny whatever clips and slices of gameplay there are out there seem ok. I even like the ideea. But I will not be spending 60 bucks on a game that is made with the intention of selling me DLC. No. That is not why you make a game, that is a retarded ideea and if people would stop to think about the future for a second no one would buy this crap. If this game sells really well, the only message companies will get is "please, give us unfinished games and then sell us all the stuff we should have had since the launch". I for one do not want companies to get that ideea in their heads.

And even removing from my head the DLC crap, I still can't find a justification for paying 60 for this. 4 clases of hunters and only 3 monsters? Well ... that is a bit too little. Maybe fuck the fake variety 3 hunters for each class crap (since the gamepaly of the class is basically the same, they are just skins) and maybe offer some more monsters? Or maybe a more interesting game-mode with several monsters on the map? And some more monsters? If the game sold at 40 without the DLC bullshit attached I would buy it. If the game sold for 20 with a 20-30 season pass I would consider getting it and the pass. At 60 base price with up to 80 for getting the PC Monster Race (whomever came up with this cretinous pun: fire him!) ... no. I may afford some expenses, but no game is worht this much money, especially when I can preorder the Witcher 3 for the same base price and get the DLC content for free when it's done.

So my bottom line: Unless you want to get dicked over in the future, skip this. No game is worth the money and the bullshit Evolve asks you to stomach. Send those idiotic publishers and devs a message.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I wasn't gonna get it originally. But a bunch of my friends are going to, and any game can be made fun with the right company. So, yeah. The content on the disc is questionable, and the matches seem unnecessarily samey and slow. But maybe it feels different when you're actually in there. So yeah, might be a blast..!

Phourc

Nov 2, 2013
I got to play some of the beta or alpha or whatever it was on steam, and while the game looked interesting a multiplayer-only game with very limited match types just isn't worth 60/80/100 dollars to me (yes, there is a 100$ bundle oO).

I'll grab it when it's 20, if my friends are still interested in playing it with me.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I had no intentions of buying it, but when I got the chance to play the closed beta I figured I'd give it a try, and it is genuinely the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time.

On principal, I want to avoid it, but it's become a pre-order for me now. Sorry guys.

small

Aug 5, 2014
i was thinking of getting it but yeah all the dlc turned me off and its no point waiting for the goty version as the multiplayer will possibly be dead by the time its released

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
purplemonkey555 said:
I really liked the Beta, had a great time wrecking teams as the monster, so I'm probably going to pick it up.
Dirty Hipsters said:
There are actually 12 hunters, 3 for each class. I agree about the monsters though, I think they could have had more.
My mistake, when I checked their website it looked like there was only 4 hunters, but I had to click on each class to see the others.

I know that there were only 4 hunters in the open beta, do we know if the other hunters in each class all play differently or are they basically just class based skins?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I really doubt I would have purchased it anyway, though the full launch price plus entire game built on DLC model makes me raise an eyebrow anyway. While I'm not going to buy it I am interested in seeing how well it does sell. There are a number of interesting questions that Evolve post release will answer for me.

At the end of the day, though, taking the game as something separate from it's DLC and marketing, it really feels like TitanFall to me. It feels like the sort of game that everyone and their dog will be playing for a few months and then will never touch again.