Poll: Will you buy The Old Republic now?

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Zing said:
SNIP

At Gamespot: [http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/news.html?sid=6238428&tag=topslot;title;1&mode=previews]

"Players who enjoy fast melee combat will identify with this class--there's no passive auto-attack combat here. The Jedi knight has a smorgasbord of lightsaber abilities to choose from as the situation dictates and must continue to evaluate the battle to see whether he should strike hard at one or two targets or swing widely to keep a whole cluster of enemies at bay."
Oh, but that makes it sound like just the Jedi (and presumably the Sith Warrior) are going to have no auto-attack. From what I saw of the Smuggler video, it definitely looked auto-combat-esque. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Also, one of my concerns is class balance in terms of representation. I highly doubt that most casual "Ooooh, Star Wars!" players are going to pick anything other than Force-wielders.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm still not an MMO guy. I think they'd have a huge winfall if they made a single player version, but as it is... nah. It looks awesome, but I just don't like MMOs.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Timbydude said:
Oh, but that makes it sound like just the Jedi (and presumably the Sith Warrior) are going to have no auto-attack. From what I saw of the Smuggler video, it definitely looked auto-combat-esque. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Also, one of my concerns is class balance in terms of representation. I highly doubt that most casual "Ooooh, Star Wars!" players are going to pick anything other than Force-wielders.
I believe Smuggler's and Bounty Hunter's and stuff have a primary attack like assault too.

As for class population, if the TOR forums are anything to go by, all classes are pretty equally popular: http://www.swtor.com/community/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=5720

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I was planning on buying it before: I don't see how space combat would somehow change my mind.

In other words: HECK FREAKING YES.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sturmdolch said:
No, not really, you should probably watch some more "vidz's".
I have checked up on more videos and the combat still looks generic.

if you want to see awesome gameplay for a mmo look at this:

and its free...

not saying the game will be bad, its just not what I was hoping for.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Zing said:
Timbydude said:

I believe Smuggler's and Bounty Hunter's and stuff have a primary attack like assault too.

As for class population, if the TOR forums are anything to go by, all classes are pretty equally popular: http://www.swtor.com/community/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=5720
Hmm, I'm surprised Imperial Agent is the least popular. They can summon missiles FROM THE SKY!

But, unfortunately, I don't think the TOR forums are anything to go by. Like it or not, the majority of the players are going to be on the border between casual and hardcore: people who used to play WoW. They're interested enough in gaming to play an online game, but they probably won't actually investigate it too much. Basically, I think that most people are going to play the game because it's an online Star Wars game (which will be better marketed and received than Galaxies), rather than because of its features or BioWare's stellar reputation.

So, those aren't the kinds of people that would be on TOR forums right now. Believe me; I'm pumped for this game too, but I'm trying to face the reality of the class selection, too.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Korten12 said:
First of all, Vindictus is being developed completely by a Korean developer. You can bet your ass it will have even more grinding than Aion and DAoC, which had a metric fuck-ton of grinding. Secondly, it's a hack and slash MMO, it might look exciting, but hack and slash doesn't translate too well into MMOs, it's usually imbalanced and silly.

That Lightsaber combat looks far more exciting to me.

Timbydude said:
Hmm, I'm surprised Imperial Agent is the least popular. They can summon missiles FROM THE SKY!

But, unfortunately, I don't think the TOR forums are anything to go by. Like it or not, the majority of the players are going to be on the border between casual and hardcore: people who used to play WoW. They're interested enough in gaming to play an online game, but they probably won't actually investigate it too much. Basically, I think that most people are going to play the game because it's an online Star Wars game (which will be better marketed and received than Galaxies), rather than because of its features or BioWare's stellar reputation.

So, those aren't the kinds of people that would be on TOR forums right now. Believe me; I'm pumped for this game too, but I'm trying to face the reality of the class selection, too.
Well the SWTOR forums have almost 700,000 members the last time I checked, you're probably partially right, but I know of a lot of people who will get the game just because of BioWare, and a lot more who will get it just because of Star Wars.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Probably not, I have neither the money nor the boredom threshold for a star wars mmo and the only star wars game that I've really liked so far is jedi knight 2: jedi outcast (Freaking sweet game).

Though to me the first three films (made) were excellent and are a valuable piece of cinema history and all thes expansions feel like severe milking of that to me.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zing said:
Korten12 said:
First of all, Vindictus is being developed completely by a Korean developer. You can bet your ass it will have even more grinding than Aion and DAoC, which had a metric fuck-ton of grinding. Secondly, it's a hack and slash MMO, it might look exciting, but hack and slash doesn't translate too well into MMOs, it's usually imbalanced and silly.

That Lightsaber combat looks far more exciting to me.
I can bet? But you know why Grinding is annoying in games like Aion? The combat system is boring! ToR combat is nothing new and is almost like Aion's...

acklumos

May 1, 2009
I'm still trying to decide whether I'll play it or not, but this definetly looks interesting.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Korten12 said:
I can bet? But you know why Grinding is annoying in games like Aion? The combat system is boring! ToR combat is nothing new and is almost like Aion's...
Vindictus will be no different, in fact if anything it'll be more boring, it's hack and slash you basically sit there mashing buttons into a group of enemies. That's going to get boring by the 20th level unless you're asian. :p

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Wasn't going to buy it, still won't. Maybe its the fact that I don't have a PC. Maybe its the fact that I have no money. Maybe its because I would rather buy different games.

But I honestly don't see the big deal in this game. Unless they manage to make worlds and a gameplay that would completely blow my mind, I don't see how they are gonna pull this game off.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Korten12 said:
While the gameplay does look nice, I'd be wary of any game wearing Nexon's name. Not a company that gives a crap about their users. I'd sunk a good amount of time and a decent chunk of change into my characters on DFO when I got my account deleted because someone I bought something from a guy who had bought it with money from a gold-seller.(Yes, the guy I bought it from wasn't even a goddamn gold-seller himself) When I contacted customer support, what did they tell me? To make a new account. Fucking assholes.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zing said:
Korten12 said:
Vindictus will be no different, in fact if anything it'll be more boring, it's hack and slash you basically sit there mashing buttons into a group of enemies. That's going to get boring by the 20th level unless you're asian. :p
so you rather stand in place and attack then accutaly moving like people do IRL? Sorry, but I guess you like the overully used battleing system then something more exciting then standing in place and attacking. I am not one to judge... but also that last tad bit while it may be true is a bit sterotyping.

but in all honestly, I am more looking foward to Guild Wars 2, a game that will probably blow both games out of the water.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Timbydude said:
Zing said:
SNIP

At Gamespot: [http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/news.html?sid=6238428&tag=topslot;title;1&mode=previews]

"Players who enjoy fast melee combat will identify with this class--there's no passive auto-attack combat here. The Jedi knight has a smorgasbord of lightsaber abilities to choose from as the situation dictates and must continue to evaluate the battle to see whether he should strike hard at one or two targets or swing widely to keep a whole cluster of enemies at bay."

Nope, no classes have the auto attack, they've mentioned this during one of the previews and made a strong point of it (/cheer). Not sure what you saw with the Smuggler, but I'm assuming it's the same thing as with the Bounty Hunter - they've said that once the Bounty Hunters fill up their heat bars, only a "standard fire" ability will be available. I'm guessing this works for both classes as a go-to spell when everything else is unavailable, whether for cooldowns, heat or whatever :)

OT: Not sure how excited I am for space battles. I just haven't seen any space fighting games that would make me go "ooh, might have some of that, awesome" and since it's an MMO it's an even bigger mystery in how it's going to work. I'll wait for some more info to decide on how I feel about it, but I doubt it'll impact my decision to buy the game (which I most definitely am, will give it a go pretty much no matter what and see from there).

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Well it's good to see that with all the brain power over at Bioware, we still can't come up with a damn thing better than good guy neutral guy and asshole dialogue systems. Real innovation going on there.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Korten12 said:
so you rather stand in place and attack then accutaly moving like people do IRL? Sorry, but I guess you like the overully used battleing system then something more exciting then standing in place and attacking. I am not one to judge... but also that last tad bit while it may be true is a bit sterotyping.

but in all honestly, I am more looking foward to Guild Wars 2, a game that will probably blow both games out of the water.
Have you ever played an MMO? I've honestly never stood still in any MMO, especially when it comes to PvP, you are CONSTANTLY moving.