Poll: Windows 10- Worth It?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I probably wouldn't pay money for it. But its definitely worth while if its still a free upgrade.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
If your rig isn't ancient then go for it. Been on Win10 since probably around Christmas on my 4 year old, middle of the road spec rig and I have encountered zero problems.

Obviously back up your data before doing any major update and remember that all of the 'annoying things' people complain about with Win10 can be turned off :)

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
So my computer is barking at me that I only have 3 days left to upgrade to Win10 for free. I remember back when this program started last year there were accusations of Microsoft spyware, along with it not being very good in general.

However, it's presumably changed since then, but it's hard to find a good, updated review of what the OS is like now. I ask you, fellow Escapists, should I take the plunge? It's for a laptop, currently 8.1, that I do mostly personal stuff on, though now and then a bit of business using mostly the Office suite and some other programs for PDF editing and reading.
Well it's currently better than Windows 8 and the Win 10 exclusive Edge browser has real promise from a security stand point... I'd personally wait at least for a major service pack or update to squish security holes, but it should be good. If you had windows 7 I'd say no, get never 10 on that, but since it's 8.1 you got... Take the plunge, 8 was a disaster and 10 isn't so, at least there's that.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
I've had it running since I got my newest pc in december, and I've had absolutely no problems with it. The privacy issue things were easily fixed with a few registry edits.

For the chap having issues running the old mechwarrior games, try using dosbox for #2, and an older windows shell emulator for the others. I had some success with them in win7, though I haven't tried in windows 10.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
If you know how to disable the telemetry (for the record I have it disabled for those that think they got you when they point out it is also on Windows 7) and do not do heavy VFX then it might be alright. Personally I am moving to Linux after Windows 7 is discontinued.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
DO a clean install, not the in-place upgrade or w/e
the in-place upgrade caused a bunch of instability for me but doing a clean install fixed all of the problems, and aside from the changed start menu I have no major complaints

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
I can only speak for myself. I've now had 10 in use for almost 3 months and I've experienced next to no problems.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I've had Windows 10 since November. Overall, it is great and has made Windows my primary OS again after years of using OS X and Linux.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
I'm sticking with Windows 7 until support for it is completely stopped in 2020, hopefully by then Windows 10 will have unfucked itself. As for now, TotalBiscuit's complaints about 10 have convinced me to avoid it like the plague.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Even if Win10 was the greatest operating system to grace our pathetic species, you should not upgrade on principle. The shady practices used on other users (upgrading without their consent) should not be rewarded.

Beyond which, the inability to pick and choose which updates to install, along with the inability to turn off automatic updates* (instead only being able to delay them for a limited amount of time) make the system too risky and obstructive for all but the most casual of users.

What happens if a crippling update is rolled out? You're screwed. What happens if you're in the middle of rendering or playing a game and the system decides you've delayed it too long and need to update now? You're screwed.

Whatever the benefits the operating system itself may have, they are not, in my opinion, worth the large downsides that come with them.

*Apparently, if using Wifi, you can lie and say you have a metered connection to delay updates indefinitely, but that still means not being able to pick which updates to install.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I took the plunge. No more tiles bullshit from 8, so an overall improvement.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Even with telemetry and all disabled, it stil takes away (some of) the control you have over updates (you cant disable them unless you have Enterprise) only postpone for an x amount of hours.

It's one of many reasons why I personally stick with 7 and 8.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
It's a decent upgrade. Considering how there's a bevy of official and third-party ways to fiddle with or turn off the operating system's metrics, and it's not much of a privacy-destroyer as some would think it is. Win10's gotten me stable framerates on some of my more recent games, and I really didn't mind switching GPU drivers post-upgrade.

Yeah, it means you're running a potato for five minutes while you're deleting the old ones and installing the new ones, but who honestly cares?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I mean it had the compatibility hiccups that come standard when a new OS is released. Don't know if they've ironed them out yet but most of the people I know that talk about how windows 10 is bad aren't even using it so make of that what you will. HUGE upgrade over 8. Personally I still like 7 but its behind the times and things will probably be optimized for 10 in the future.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
For now it's worth it. But if M$ will push their goal to become Apple, you may want to revert to Win 7 somewhere in the future )

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
Overhere it works just fine. Some older games (Bastion from GOG) seem to have a bit of an issue with the dotnet 3.5 bit, but that will require some tinkering to get it going (Steam version works just fine.)
At work we had a testing rig, but the network protocols seem to have changed just enough for one of the CAD software packages to go server blind, so we won't go over untill that's fixed by the IT wizards.
I did not do the in-place upgrade, but a clean install, and the windows 7 or 8/8.1 key doesn't make a fuss, it just works, and remember to create a local account and switch all the junk off you don't immediately need. When it comes to that, it's not much different from windows 7 or office with clippy, you just need to know where to turn things off to make it function right.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm, seeing how you made it this far without 10, I guess you weren't affected on that deadly bug from Asus?

OT- I would say so but in saying so I was on the side that after installment, nothing went wrong like graphic card issue or etc. Granted I was on the fence but it seen to work in the end.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Oh please microsoft has been trying this psychological "update now before is too late!!!1111!!!" "last chance!!!111!!!" BS to me for many months now.

I was already a fool for upgrading to windows 8, but now that I'm somewhat used to it and it runs good for me, am loathe to go through the upgrade and adaptation process all over again.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
It's decent, if you're running Win8 and can't rollback to 7 (e.g. OEM Win8 systems). It's a disaster if you're running 7.

It's an alright system, but it's too invasive. The breaking point for me was when my system crashed and the thing decided to auto-system restore to a 2-month-old restore point. If I wanted a closed system, I'd buy a console. If my computer breaks, I want to be the one to fix it as I see fit. Rolled back to Win7 and will stick with it until I no longer can.