Poll: Windows 10- Worth It?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
deadish said:
Zykon TheLich said:
deadish said:
You serious? >.>

Of course you need to upgrade your drivers. Drivers are frequently OS specific. (To be exact, they are driver model specific, so if MS altered the driver model between Win 7 and Win 10, you are going to need a different set of drivers when transitioning OS.)
GeForce Experience had the OS down as Windows 10, I don't see why it would download the wrong drivers.
Probably a problem on nvidia's end .. (not to say AMD is all that better; seriously, if GPU driver install/uninstalls/upgrades weren't so shitty, we wouldn't need the likes of DDU)
Chances that this guy is reading the system information rather than driver details. Not only that, GeForce Experience is plagued with updating issues for the past year or so.

Jan 12, 2012
mad825 said:
Zykon TheLich said:
I know Nvida drivers are OS specific and that Win 7/8 driver versions won't work with Win 10. Should I call you Technologically Challenged?
[HEADING=2]Mod Voice[/HEADING]

Please don't be rude to / about other users, there's simply no need for this sort of behaviour and it does nothing to help the thread or the discussion.

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2012
deadish said:
Probably a problem on nvidia's end .. (not to say AMD is all that better; seriously, if GPU driver install/uninstalls/upgrades weren't so shitty, we wouldn't need the likes of DDU)
Just tried a manual clean install of the Windows 10 version that I downloaded myself. Still crashes like a ************. In the end, whoever's fault it is is irrelevant, I have an Nvidia card and it works perfectly with windows 7, it dies a death with Windows 10. But anyway, thanks for the information.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Arnoxthe1 said:
Oh, and in terms of "spyware" you can turn pretty much all of it off.
No, you cannot. You need to rely on third party software in tandem with registry edits. Same with mandatory updates that could potentially brick your system or ruin your work if it is your work PC. It is far easier to disable it on Windows 7, let alone allow them to be installed on your computer in the first place. Furthermore, a third party traffic monitor would make it clear enough if anything was being shared in the first place. Interestingly enough the software that comes with the Oculus Rift is always sending data about your computer back to facebook, even if you completely block it your internet traffic will always show a 1.5 Kilobyte upload usage as long as the service is running.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I'd rather buy a license of Windows 10 or whatever is out in 2020, when Windows 7 is EOL, then put up with Windows 10.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
From this thread, I've learned that when I buy a new laptop next month, it's worth just getting one with Windows 10.

Not risking my unstable-as-a-spinning-plate-on-the-Empire-State-Building-in-a-hypercane current build, though. xD

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Zykon TheLich said:
deadish said:
Just tried a manual clean install of the Windows 10 version that I downloaded myself. Still crashes like a ************. In the end, whoever's fault it is is irrelevant, I have an Nvidia card and it works perfectly with windows 7, it dies a death with Windows 10. But anyway, thanks for the information.
Well ... one more thing I could suggest, assuming Win 10 is still installed, is to run DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to wipe your system clean of all nvidia files then installing the latest nivida drivers.

But, you know, whatever works well for you.

PS: Technically, driver problems aren't Microsoft's area of responsibility - after all there are like millions of devices out there; it's impossible for MS to check them all even if they wanted to. Rather it's up to the device manufacturer to ensure their drivers work.

mad825 said:
Chances that this guy is reading the system information rather than driver details. Not only that, GeForce Experience is plagued with updating issues for the past year or so.
I have no idea what's up with AMD and nvidia ... just had AMD drivers fail to update due to "installation manager" issues ...

It's kind of ridiculous that we need 3rd party developed tools like DDU to uninstall/update the drivers properly.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Saulkar said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Oh, and in terms of "spyware" you can turn pretty much all of it off.
No, you cannot. You need to rely on third party software in tandem with registry edits. Same with mandatory updates that could potentially brick your system or ruin your work if it is your work PC. It is far easier to disable it on Windows 7, let alone allow them to be installed on your computer in the first place.
Registry edits? I just now checked 3+ articles on disabling Windows 10's tracking. And in precisely NONE of them does it say you have to edit the registry. There was one article though to be fair that said there were 4 updates that were very sketchy. HOWEVER, they affect 7 and 8 as well and are purely optional, as in, you have to manually install them. Anyway, going right back to what I was saying. It doesn't matter what Windows OS you have, for the most part. If Microsoft wants to spy on you, they can do so, whether it's 7, 8.1, or 10.

And in terms of having to get third-party software, the only thing you needed 3rd party software for was if you wanted to selectively install and/or hide certain updates. And it's from Microsoft themselves funnily enough.

Look, is Windows 10's default privacy settings bad? Sure. Are they the end of the world? No. Can they be turned off easily by anyone with half a brain? YES. And that's really all there is to it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Arnoxthe1 said:
Registry edits? I just now checked 3+ articles on disabling Windows 10's tracking. And in precisely NONE of them does it say you have to edit the registry. There was one article though to be fair that said there were 4 updates that were very sketchy. HOWEVER, they affect 7 and 8 as well and are purely optional, as in, you have to manually install them. Anyway, going right back to what I was saying. It doesn't matter what Windows OS you have, for the most part. If Microsoft wants to spy on you, they can do so, whether it's 7, 8.1, or 10.

And in terms of having to get third-party software, the only thing you needed 3rd party software for was if you wanted to selectively install and/or hide certain updates. And it's from Microsoft themselves funnily enough.

Look, is Windows 10's default privacy settings bad? Sure. Are they the end of the world? No. Can they be turned off easily by anyone with half a brain? YES. And that's really all there is to it.
Weird, I remember specifically reading about such. Maybe I am conflating the forced updates with the privacy settings that cannot be disabled through any setting in the O.S. itself.

Here it is time stamped:
I always forget about Spybot Anti Beacon.

But later in the video at 22:35 he shows you how to essentially kneecap the services themselves though through the CMD Prompt and not the registry. However, he shows you after the half hour mark how many invasive services and settings get turned back on immediately after an update. Not fun at all.

So in the end, even if you have half a brain you are still being actively undermined. And besides, doing nothing goes against my principles and more or less says that it is alright.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Saulkar said:
Arnoxthe1 said:

Weird, I remember specifically reading about such. Maybe I am conflating the forced updates with the privacy settings that cannot be disabled through any setting in the O.S. itself.

Here it is time stamped:
I always forget about Spybot Anti Beacon.

But later in the video at 22:35 he shows you how to essentially kneecap the services themselves though through the CMD Prompt and not the registry. However, he shows you after the half hour mark how many invasive services and settings get turned back on immediately after an update. Not fun at all.

So in the end, even if you have half a brain you are still being actively undermined. And besides, doing nothing goes against my principles and more or less says that it is alright.
I looked at a little bit of the video. It sounds like his beef is with ALL connectivity to Microsoft. And some of the stuff it looked like he was disabling were components also found in other Windows OS' as well. Not just in 10. Heck, if you truly want all that, just run Windows 10 offline. I don't get it. Or maybe set the internet connection to Metered. Or, again, just use Linux.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
I upgraded from Windows 8, so it was absolutely worth it for me. Hell, downgrading to Win 95 would've almost been worth it.

That said, though it isn't perfect, I haven't really had any significant trouble with it myself. Games run just fine, it has all the features I need, it doesn't seem cluttered with useless gadgets (looking at you, Vista), and generally everything seems to work as intended.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Just a note: as of roughly 40 minutes ago, the free upgrade is not available any more. So, I guess any decisions made until now are now final. You either have access to Windows 10 free of charge or you don't.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I upgraded from a relatively new 8.1 PC and I've had no problems. Disabling some of the tracking and monitoring stuff requires an annoying round-about route that has clearly been designed so that most people won't bother.

Windows has always had consistant usability issues because it assumes that that majority of its customers are idiots who'll ruin everything if they're given any control (which might be true actually) and Windows 10 is not an exception.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
I would let you know, but any time i tried to upgrade it failed. Did the download version? Failed and kicked me back to 7, tried that twice with the same result each time making my graphics card wonkey and giving me a black screen with mouse at startup. Tried the flash drive version? Wont let me install saying i have to go into windows 7 and run the program which made the flash drive to install off the flash drive.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
About 10 or so hours before the free offer expired, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from Win 7 to 10. First thing that I noticed was how fast the thing booted up compared to Win 7, then I noticed that my LAN drivers stopped working, so I could no longer connect to the internet - that was a bummer. Took me about a day to redownload the drivers from another PC, and now everything is working fine, though I did instantly disable all the "tips" that just ended up being annoying, and literally nothing more.

Will take me a while to get used to the new interface and all of the OS's quirks, but it should be fine. I doesn't seem all that different from Win 7. But at least now I can play Halo Wars 2 when that comes out, which is niiiiiiiiiice.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
DoPo said:
Just a quick headsup to let you know your post wasn't wasted, did end up getting win10 after all, mostly cos of the "future games will be made with win10 in mind" and seeing how win8 is the black sheep of the win family, it's likely to have more problems down the line.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I've resolved most of the blatant data sending issues by just placing blocks in my firewall.