Poll: World Of Warcraft Catalysm- Too much?

Craig FTW

Mar 25, 2009
By the way, I did play WoW before Burning Crusade came out. I bought it about a month before Burning Crusade came out, and I got pretty into it. So I at least somewhat know what The Old Ways were like.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
The real world changes all the time, it's really cool seeing that idea pushed into a game. Especially one I currently play.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Amarok said:
TheDoctor455 said:
His question was about whether this messes with WoW's storyline too much, but way to spew some hate there, buddy.
Thank you, you reminded me of yet another reason why I can't stand WOW. It screws up the storylines from the RTS series that WOW takes all of its backstory from. Okay, I'll admit that much of Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne were largely setting this up BUT there is a MAJOR PLOT HOLE in WOW! How in the hell did Illidan survive his battle with Arthus in Northrend? And another thing... Assuming that Illidan was somehow able to bullshit his way back to life (as WOW would suggest), why the hell hasn't the burning legion tried to go after him yet? Lastly, why aren't all of the Blood Elves with Kael'Thas and Illidan in that dimension that the Orcs came from? I've asked a few friends who have been playing WOW since it came out (and still do), and all they can do is shrug and say "I dunno" (and before you ask, yes they were actually looking into the lore). Another problem that I have with WoW is that it has pretty much guarenteed that Blizzard will never ever release another Warcraft strategy game. Even worse, I sometimes wonder if they'll give Starcraft the same treatment. Speaking of Starcraft, I'm even more concerned that with all of the attention that Blizzard has been giving WOW with all of the expansion packs and endless plague of patches, is whether or not Blizzard will ever FINISH work on any non-WOW game. Starcraft 2 was supposed to be released 2 years ago! And they had reportedly been working on it since Warcraft 3 came out! I fail to see how any game would need THAT much bug-testing. And while I only have moderate interest in Diablo 3, I have a feeling that Blizzard will blow that project off too, in favor of the umpteen billionth WOW update.

KrackleJack

May 7, 2009
itss going to be cheap... be able to dive bomb on ur fly mount and kill noobs in pvp servers ugg

Salmaras

Sep 5, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Lastly, why aren't all of the Blood Elves with Kael'Thas and Illidan in that dimension that the Orcs came from?
Because "apparently" Those wern't all the blood elves, which it didn't mention before. But it's not unbelievable since it set up the fact that someone was still ruling over them at silvermoon. And the ones that Keal'thas took were in Outlands, since we got to them all.

Anyway, OT: Admittedly, Cataclysm does sort of leave a few things in a confused state lore-wise, such as Night elves being mage. But it still all sounds fun and personally iv'e been getting a little bored of Kalimdor and Eastern kingdoms.

Also, I <3 Worgen

AlisonPrime

Jun 20, 2008
I see it as blizzard rebooting their old content, granted im wondering what will happen to the old raids and such, but since almost nobody ever does those raids anymore, heck, Ulduar is now the new Naxxramus in terms of difficulty with the new ToC raid and ToC dungeon, but I digress, no one was raiding the old content anymore, no one wanted to spend weeks getting their T1 - 3 sets anymore, heck no one raids the old BC content anymore aside from achievements, and they saw it as a waste of good programming so they are revamping everything so that even new players who rolled a Death Knight or never did the old content will have a reason to do it.

AlisonPrime

Jun 20, 2008
Salmaras said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Lastly, why aren't all of the Blood Elves with Kael'Thas and Illidan in that dimension that the Orcs came from?
Because "apparently" Those wern't all the blood elves, which it didn't mention before. But it's not unbelievable since it set up the fact that someone was still ruling over them at silvermoon. And the ones that Keal'thas took were in Outlands, since we got to them all.

Anyway, OT: Admittedly, Cataclysm does sort of leave a few things in a confused state lore-wise, such as Night elves being mage. But it still all sounds fun and personally iv'e been getting a little bored of Kalimdor and Eastern kingdoms.

Also, I <3 Worgen
There is a difference between blood elves and high elves

Their eyes

Yes their Eyes can give them away to being either a blood or a high elf and frankly, I thought the alliance should have gotten a High Elf race over a Werewolf but werewolves are ok

To tell the difference - Blood Elf eyes glow Green, High Elf eyes shine blue - So Green is Blood, Blue is High

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
No, it's not too much.

An evolving world?
Flying mounts in 'old world'?

Things asked for for years.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I'd love to choke the folks that said yes.

Maybe not to death...but still...a good choking is in order.

Salmaras

Sep 5, 2009
AlisonPrime said:
Salmaras said:
TheDoctor455 said:

Also, I <3 Worgen
There is a difference between blood elves and high elves

Their eyes

Yes their Eyes can give them away to being either a blood or a high elf and frankly, I thought the alliance should have gotten a High Elf race over a Werewolf but werewolves are ok

To tell the difference - Blood Elf eyes glow Green, High Elf eyes shine blue - So Green is Blood, Blue is High
The high elves don't come into it, theres high elves in azeroth who stayed behind and the ones that followed Keal'thas into Outlands with Illidan.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Thank you, you reminded me of yet another reason why I can't stand WOW. It screws up the storylines from the RTS series that WOW takes all of its backstory from.
No. No it doesn't; it progresses it.
TheDoctor455 said:
Okay, I'll admit that much of Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne were largely setting this up BUT there is a MAJOR PLOT HOLE in WOW! How in the hell did Illidan survive his battle with Arthus in Northrend?
I forget the precise specifics, but suffice it to say, glancing blow.
[Edit: There is a questline in Icecrown that shows players the progression of Arthas from paladin charging after Mal'ganis to evil bastard Lich King who cuts out his own heart.]
TheDoctor455 said:
And another thing... Assuming that Illidan was somehow able to bullshit his way back to life (as WOW would suggest), why the hell hasn't the burning legion tried to go after him yet?
Because he holed himself up in Black Temple.
TheDoctor455 said:
Lastly, why aren't all of the Blood Elves with Kael'Thas and Illidan in that dimension that the Orcs came from? I've asked a few friends who have been playing WOW since it came out (and still do), and all they can do is shrug and say "I dunno" (and before you ask, yes they were actually looking into the lore).
Then they should've done the first quest you get in Shattrath, it explains everything.
[Edit: Essentially the leader of the rather large assault force sent to march on Shattrath received a vision from the Naaru telling him that the survival of the Blood Elf race pretty much depended on Shattrath not beinf razed to the ground by said Blood Elves.]
TheDoctor455 said:
Another problem that I have with WoW is that it has pretty much guarenteed that Blizzard will never ever release another Warcraft strategy game. Even worse, I sometimes wonder if they'll give Starcraft the same treatment. Speaking of Starcraft, I'm even more concerned that with all of the attention that Blizzard has been giving WOW with all of the expansion packs and endless plague of patches, is whether or not Blizzard will ever FINISH work on any non-WOW game. Starcraft 2 was supposed to be released 2 years ago! And they had reportedly been working on it since Warcraft 3 came out! I fail to see how any game would need THAT much bug-testing. And while I only have moderate interest in Diablo 3, I have a feeling that Blizzard will blow that project off too, in favor of the umpteen billionth WOW update.
That's a lot.
Right; WoW subscription pays for use of the servers and development of content patches. Is it really a plague when it's giving you more stuff to play?

Blizzard is famous for not releasing something half-finished (hurr durr WoW and its patches doesn't count), so you're really up in arms that they're trying to make their other games as good as they can before shipping them?

TalonsOfWar

Jul 1, 2009
i played it at blizzcon it was really fun the worgen ftw they look really cool and the transformation is really cool the goblins are ok there like gnomes for the horde nothing to special and there not werewols there worgen get it straight

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Yes; get it straight, or he'll CUT YA!

Not too keen on Goblins tbh, a Worgen will probably be the only Alliance character I ever roll but hey ho.

RoyalStranger

Aug 22, 2009
Amarok said:
OT: I don't think this messes with the story too much (top prize goes to TBC for adding space-goats), the only thing I'm wondering about is that I thought Deathwing was incarcerated by the other dragons, and kept in Grim Batol.

But it seems not.
Exactly what I was thinking, but then I started wondering if this expansion was some kind of alternate universe-esque occurrence, considering it seems that Deathwing's plans succeed.

OT: I really don't feel like its too much.
Its enough for me. I like the whole idea of the changes that are going to be in it, and I would definitely love to try out the Worgen.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
frankenpimp said:
Darkshore- It wasn't interesting in the first place and the quests sucked
Desolace- look at me with a straight face and tell me you have ever quested in Desolace

The only zone I will miss is Azshara. Never quested there, but I fear for Azuregos. Without him no more doing the SotSS quests for funzies. And he is soloable, soloing a raid boss made my balls feel big.
I quite like questing in Darkshore, but I agree about Desolace, out of all my friends, and all my guildies, no one I know has quested there, ever. And I must see more of Azshara, just to see if I can solo this raid boss.

yossarian787

Sep 5, 2009
Personally, I like the concept of the new expansion changing a large amount of the "old world," while adding less new high level content. In BC, 2 new races were added, with new leveling areas that get the characters to level 20-ish, but the rest of 20-58 was entirely unchanged. WotLK did nothing to change the game for low level characters. At this point, many players have a character, or even a few, at the level cap (I have 2, and another that's within spitting distance). Once you're at the cap, doing your dailies and the 12 or so instances gets repetitive, and an alternative is to level an "alt." However, you are presented with the exact same race/class combinations you had when you made your first character (with the addition of one 'heroic class' in WotLK and 2 races in BC, if you're really old-school). The leveling areas haven't changed at all, and it's easy to get a feeling of deja vu. Changing the leveling areas and introducing new race/class combinations can, if done well, make the game seem new again, even to experienced players.

As to whether the new combinations (like Tauren Paladin or Night Elf Mage) make sense, I offer this: The horde and alliance are both the union of different cultures. At the beginning of WoW, right after the events of Warcraft 3 + expansion, these unions were brand new; there had been little co-mingling between, say, night elves and gnomes. However, for the past several years, There has been constant interaction between the races of the factions. Doesn't it make sense for, say, a young night elf to be curious about arcane magics, or for a Tauren to ask a Blood Elf about the path of the Light? I think it's a natural progression of the untied factions.

Wow, I wrote a lot. Sorry about the walls of text!

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Thank you, you reminded me of yet another reason why I can't stand WOW. It screws up the storylines from the RTS series that WOW takes all of its backstory from.
No. No it doesn't; it progresses it.
TheDoctor455 said:
Okay, I'll admit that much of Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne were largely setting this up BUT there is a MAJOR PLOT HOLE in WOW! How in the hell did Illidan survive his battle with Arthus in Northrend?
I forget the precise specifics, but suffice it to say, glancing blow.
[Edit: There is a questline in Icecrown that shows players the progression of Arthas from paladin charging after Mal'ganis to evil bastard Lich King who cuts out his own heart.]
TheDoctor455 said:
And another thing... Assuming that Illidan was somehow able to bullshit his way back to life (as WOW would suggest), why the hell hasn't the burning legion tried to go after him yet?
Because he holed himself up in Black Temple.
TheDoctor455 said:
Lastly, why aren't all of the Blood Elves with Kael'Thas and Illidan in that dimension that the Orcs came from? I've asked a few friends who have been playing WOW since it came out (and still do), and all they can do is shrug and say "I dunno" (and before you ask, yes they were actually looking into the lore).
Then they should've done the first quest you get in Shattrath, it explains everything.
[Edit: Essentially the leader of the rather large assault force sent to march on Shattrath received a vision from the Naaru telling him that the survival of the Blood Elf race pretty much depended on Shattrath not beinf razed to the ground by said Blood Elves.]
TheDoctor455 said:
Another problem that I have with WoW is that it has pretty much guarenteed that Blizzard will never ever release another Warcraft strategy game. Even worse, I sometimes wonder if they'll give Starcraft the same treatment. Speaking of Starcraft, I'm even more concerned that with all of the attention that Blizzard has been giving WOW with all of the expansion packs and endless plague of patches, is whether or not Blizzard will ever FINISH work on any non-WOW game. Starcraft 2 was supposed to be released 2 years ago! And they had reportedly been working on it since Warcraft 3 came out! I fail to see how any game would need THAT much bug-testing. And while I only have moderate interest in Diablo 3, I have a feeling that Blizzard will blow that project off too, in favor of the umpteen billionth WOW update.
That's a lot.
Right; WoW subscription pays for use of the servers and development of content patches. Is it really a plague when it's giving you more stuff to play?

Blizzard is famous for not releasing something half-finished (hurr durr WoW and its patches doesn't count), so you're really up in arms that they're trying to make their other games as good as they can before shipping them?
No, I'm not against them making the game as good as they can before it ships. What I AM concerned with is that with all of the attention they've been giving WOW (let's face it, that behemoth has been dominating their time for the past several years... getting close to a full decade at this point), I'm concerned that they won't ever work on anything else ever again. And that all we'll ever see in the future are more WOW patches and expansions. Remember, Blizzard has its roots in Real Time Strategy games, it would be nice to seem them return to those roots for a change. And let's not forget that the last time they promised a new Starcraft game (that would be Starcraft: Ghost), the project never panned out.

And as for the assertion that WOW just "picks up" from where Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne left off... okay... it does, sort of. But most of what it does is treat everything from all of the previous Warcraft games as backstory, as something that has almost no impact on the current state of Azeroth.

Reep

Jul 23, 2008
Amarok said:
TheDoctor455 said:
His question was about whether this messes with WoW's storyline too much, but way to spew some hate there, buddy.

OT: I don't think this messes with the story too much (top prize goes to TBC for adding space-goats), the only thing I'm wondering about is that I thought Deathwing was incarcerated by the other dragons, and kept in Grim Batol.

But it seems not.
Actually Deathwing faked his own death, went into hiding and used a human avatar to take control of Alterac and had his sights on a position of leadership in Stormwind. I cant remember what happened to his human avatar but i know that it was replaced with Katrana Prestor/Onyxia in the Stormwind throne chamber