Poll: Worst Major Mainstream Actor:-

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Adam Sandler is truly terrible. The only movie of his that I liked was Funny People and that was because Seth Rogen was great and it was pretty good as a drama.

I guess I also liked Mr. Deeds but that's probably because it was the first of his movies I saw and once you see one, you've seen them all.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
*huddles up in a corner*

I like Keanu Reeves as an actor though...

But anyways: Worst actor for me goes to Nicholas Cage, he's been in some absolutely retarded movies, but Ghost Rider 2 took the cake for me and my brother...who went to see it with me so we could both laugh at it.

Ahh, he's so bad...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Leonardo di Caprio

I'm sure he can act circles around me, but the guy has about an acting range of two feet. This wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't given parts to play these larger than life characters, like Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover. Seriously, whose fucking idea was it to let him play those characters.

I can't help but find his rise to the top of the acting world baffling.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I'm going to have to go with Michael Cera, with Jonah Hill not far behind.

When you get right down to it and think about it, he really does play the exact same type of character in nearly every movie he starts in. He's just so awkward and mumbles in his dialouge delivery. I don't know whether that is him trying to act, or if that is just his straight real life personality. I really feel sorry for him if it is the latter.

Jonah Hill is at least sometimes humorous, as I was ok with his character in Accepted. Most of his other roles though, are just...awful.

Superbad is one of my most disliked movies ever, mostly because of these reasons. Not a big fan of those types of "comedies."

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Mark Hamill is a fantastic voice actor.

Keanu Reeves is obviously a time traveler so he's awesome.

I can't think of many actors I dislike. Actresses I have a list as long as me (soooo many of them are just cast to be something to look good ;_;)
The main guys from Twilight are pretty crap but Pattinson is awesome because he at least knows he's shit.
I haven't seen Will Ferrel in a serious movie which I think makes him a pretty crap actor.
Oh, and I don't like Michael Cera. Scott Pilgrim would be perfect if they cast someone else :/)
Gah! I don't watch enough movies.

(By the way, NICHOLAS CAGE IS PERFECTION. *waves a banner saying I ♥ Nicholas Cage*)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
EeveeElectro said:
(By the way, NICHOLAS CAGE IS PERFECTION. *waves a banner saying I ♥ Nicholas Cage*)
All hail the Cage! He will destroy us with his perfection otherwise.

Oh and his laser eyes, he'll destroy us with them too.

Anyway my answer is Jack Black. I like him as a musician but as an actor he seems to make everything he is in worse.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
I'm a little surprised that Mark Hamill is on there. He did a good job in Star Wars, not to mention his fantastic voice work.

Anyways, I have to say that I really loath Will Ferrell. Elf is one of the worst movies I've ever had to sit through over a dozen times. I never understood why people liked that trash-heap so much.

I also really, really don't like Seth MacFarlane. Mainly because of his personality, the man makes nothing but awful, stupid cartoons that get inexplicably popular among immature children and he suddenly thinks he's God's gift to Earth. He's just such a smug prick about everything, never letting a second go by without rubbing his asinine opinions in someone's face. Despise the man.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Your list is bad, and you should feel bad. Ok, joking aside.

Mine's probably Sam Worthington. It's not his fault, and he seems like a stand-up guy, but he can't act, especially, he can't change his accent or vocal mannerisms. He's always a slightly friendly, very Australian sounding guy, and his roles keep being him playing Americans. And he can't pull it off. If we could get out of this "Everyone is American rut, unless they have a "Character" (Cue vaguely insulting stereotype) that we've got going, it'd be nice. Maybe we could cheat the casting, and call a spade a spade, and an Australian an Australian?

His part in the film "Rogue" was actually really good, simply because you weren't sitting there going "Has anyone else noticed he's Australian?"

And of course, the low point was when I paid him $100 to yell "The fucking numbers" in my head for 7 hours, whilst supposedly being from Anchorage.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
bartholen said:
Tom Cruise defense snip
Thank you, sir. I think Cruise is great, but he's become a punching bag and the butt of a lot of jokes. Kinda like the Olive Garden. Their food isn't bad, but you know, they're the Olive Garden. Somewhere down the line they became everyone's favorite restaurant to hate. Anyway.. Collateral is one of the best action movies ever, and no one could've played Vincent like Cruise.

My pick? Gosh.. there are so many stars to hate. Rob Schneider & Adam Sandler seem to be the obvious targets, but they don't bother starring in any roles that require actual acting. I wouldn't even call them actors. I'm gonna say Chris Pine. I don't think he'd be cast in anything if he wasn't good looking. And I don't even think he's particularly good looking. But he's young, and I guess most people think he's good looking, so that's enough for him to get cast in roles like Cpt. Kirk. (And suck at them.)

Also: I wish to declare my love for Paul Giamatti. Figured here's as good a place as any to say that. The OP mentioned Clive Owen, which made me think Shoot 'Em Up, and Giamatti was great in that. Go see Shoot 'Em Up. If you liked Collateral, you'll probably enjoy it.

Giamatti demands it!

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
David VanDusen said:
Nicholas Cage would be my choice.
Nick is mine too, its like rolling the dice.... 1-4 he is gonna be horrible 5-6 it is going to be a really good film. You never really know when yo see his name attached to a film but you can bet on the bad side and come out on top more often than not.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
The random average pale guy playing something that's supposedly meant to be a vampire of sorts in all those horrible Twilight movies. Not sure if he's just not doing it right, but I find little of that actual acting stuff in his acting. He already has all the facial expressions of a recently deceased in Twilight, but then he did it again in that one movie where he mostly just sits in a car for most of the film, looking dead and bored and like some random male poster child for how cheerful botox injections to the face are. Rowan Patton. Robbie Wilkinson. Can't remember his name, he's the Ken to Kristen Stewart's Barbie impressions. They're atrocious and a waste of film tape and meat and blood.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
GSP66 said:
Adam Sandler. Fuck that guy.

Unfunny, tedious, and frankly a con man if Jack and Jill is any indication (the movie feels less like a movie but more like a freaking commericial).
And yet he's wealthier, more famous, and more successful than all member of this forum combined.

I'm with you though, he's just terrible. I liked him a bit on SNL, but FFS he's never been movie material, at least not as a lead.

Unrelated: my captcha said white ass now. wth?!

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
BarbaricGoose said:
Haha, yeah, seen that a couple of times. It's a great drunk movie. For every word of dialogue in that film ten shots are fired. It also has some really creative shootout scenes.
jigaboon said:
Christian Bale. He goes all cross-eyed whenever he looks straight at the camera, and his Batman voice was terrible. Sounded like Rorschache with a cold. Sorry, I know that's synonymous with pointing out the cake is a lie at this point, but I can't help it. Tired joke, AWAAAAAY!!
You really should watch his other movies, like The Machinist or American Psycho. I'd almost say you're just wrong, but that's beneath me.
MrPeanut said:
Mithcha said:
Jason Momoa of Stargate and Game of Thrones. Don't know how mainsteam he is but the guy has all the range of a chopstick.
What was wrong with his role of Khal Drogo?
Yeah, I agree. He's not a very big name yet, but what he can do he does well. Whilst watching Game of Thrones S1 I couldn't help but be hypnotized by his mighty pecks every time he was on screen. He probably had the biggest breasts in the entire new Conan movie.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
OT: One actor... one actor alone... who has played the same whiny, wimpy, crybaby piece of crap in just about everything he has been in. Typecast to a point, every role has reprized his role in the television crap he started in.

Take a bow, you piece of crap... MICHAEL CERA.
YES! Without a doubt one hundred percent YES!

When I watched "Scott Pilgrim vs The World", I was totally rooting for "The World".

I'm also going to throw in Zooey Deschanel. If Cera is the one-note whiny, goofy underdog, Deschanel's the one-note "quirky girl".

And her stilted monotone delivery just sucks the life out of anything I've seen her do.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
Seth Rogen. There is not a single movie including him that I can't stand.

Wait...he was Mantis in Kung Fu Panda...DAMMIT!

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Jeremy Renner. He is so mediocre and forgettable that his roles could be filled by honestly anyone, and I have to assume that his dog is more charismatic than this hack. His only distinguishing feature is his scrunched, mangled face that fills me with disgusted contempt.

Although, I suppose he was a perfect fit for Hawkeye in The Avengers; an uninteresting and useless side character that could be replaced by anyone. For someone who has been in so many movies recently, you'd think he had some on-screen presence or some ability to act, but no; just an ugly, infuriating face.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
bartholen said:
Tropic Thunder is more the exception, in Collateral he's just nasty Tom Cruise. Which is pretty perfect for the role, but that's still how I think of him in it, and him playing Tom Cruise is what I think of in most of his roles.

OT: I don't see how Mark Hamill is considered a mainstream actor, but anyway...

I can't stand Clive Owen, if we're going off of that list.