Poll: Worst reboot franchise this gen? Tomb raider or Wolfenstien?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello friends,

In this thread we discuss about what is worst Reboot series happened this generation?

so my friends, i found both of series easily worst reboot this gen. Tomb Raider is uncharted wanna be with QTE, cinematics, terrible combat, see through walls and bad stealth mechanics. while i never like any TR game before but most TR fans prefer original games. infact latest tomb raider reboot game become so bad that square enix has to put it on rest.

wolfenstein on other hand become some of the worst FPS games ever this generation. i mean machinegames turn wolfenstein into one of my most hated franchise. as RTCW was amazing game of its time. the new one is coming this month and it looks like it will be worst FPS this year along with borderlands 3 imo.

so which reboot series you think is worse of 2? lets vote and discuss.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Is there supposed to be a poll?

Anyways, I?d rather play a good Tomb Raider than Wolfenstein, but lately it seems Wolfenstein has had a slight edge in terms of solid game mechanics. So I?d go with TR being the worse reboot effort. It?s better when focusing on good platforming and puzzle solving, not turning it into an action RPG wannabe full of upgrade systems and ?Kill Streak!? multipliers.

At least Wolfenstein didn?t betray its core for the most part.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Umm... That's hard because both reboots are fantastic. But both sequels are not so much. I guess even though I liked Tomb Raider better, I'd have to say it had the worst overall reboot because the 3rd game's story was sooooo fucking garbage and disappointing that it just killed the whole thing for me.

Jan 27, 2011
hanselthecaretaker said:
lately it seems Wolfenstein has had a slight edge in terms of solid game mechanics.
Ok, so I didn't play the new tomb raider games, nor The New Order, but The New Collosus Wolfenstein's game mechanics were woefully lacking.

The pseudo stealth was awful, the insane fragility of the main character compared to the HORDES of enemies made combat intensely frustrating, and the game felt like it just ENDED like 2/3rds of the way through.

Like, I'm not the best at shooters, but I'm no slouch either. And I had to drop the difficulty down to the absolute lowest level to get any enjoyment out of the game. I did that stupid annoying new york "hold the penthouse" type mission like a dozen times and could not pull it off.

At which point I threw up my hands and said "!@#$ this, I'm playing this to get the thrill of gunning down nazi scum, not to suffer. This ain't even the fun kind of suffering like Dark Souls or Etrian Odyssey, or whatever!".

Once all the difficulty was gone and I could just effortlessly dunk on my enemies, it was a passable shooter experience, although it still ended before there was enough proper narrative/emotional payoff.

B-Cell said:
it looks like it will be worst FPS this year along with borderlands 3 imo.
This again? You didn't read my post about it in the other thread? :(

TLDR: Borderlands isn't really a shooter. It's a loot-based and ability-based RPG where you happen to attack with guns.

Better shooter mechanics would be nice, but that's not what the series is actually about.

It's about continually finding bigger, fancier sticks to hit your enemies with, that make bigger numbers pop up, and it's about being able to pop your ability to feel like a badass every 10-30 seconds. It just happens to express that gameplay loop with guns.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Tomb Raider easy because it's no longer about puzzles and platforming but being as close to Uncharted as possible. Lara Croft GO is a better Tomb Raider game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I didn't think that Wolfenstein was technically a reboot. Like, you could argue it is from a production standpoint, but my understanding is that it shares continuity with the previous games. Like, soft reboot sure, but not a hard reboot like Tomb Raider.

Anyway, I can't compare the two as I've only played Wolfenstein, which was mixed - good gameplay, lacklustre story.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
I didn't think that Wolfenstein was technically a reboot. Like, you could argue it is from a production standpoint, but my understanding is that it shares continuity with the previous games. Like, soft reboot sure, but not a hard reboot like Tomb Raider.

Anyway, I can't compare the two as I've only played Wolfenstein, which was mixed - good gameplay, lacklustre story.
Ironically, Wolfestein (2009) from Raven Software was meant as a soft reboot too. The 2009 version still canon too.

Now as far as worst reboots neither. That goes to Syndicate, DmC, Bionic Commando, Turok (2008), or Need for Speed (2015).

With that said, I never cared for either version of Tomb Raider. I played the original trilogy and never looked back.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Neither, had fun with both. Compared to older Tomb Raiders the reboot was actually fun and the Wolfenstein actually seemed to care about making Blazkowicz an actual character and not piece of cardboard.

I honestly can't think of one awful reboot this gen. Most of the people complaining are just angry it tried to change the series's formula.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wolfenstein was pretty awesome, both of them, you just had to play the second like a run and gun, not pop and shot. Tomb raider, well the first reboot was quite great the other ones just kinda seemed a bit bland.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wolfenstein: The New Order had fantastic characters and story, and somewhat okay-ish though still pretty beefy gunplay. Tomb Raider had relatively fun action adventure gameplay with complete trash characters that I couldn't give a damn about. Also Lara's effort grunts.. fucking nails on a chalkboard.

The New Colossus was shit though.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
There were good parts of both of those reboots though. Someone already mentioned it, there was nothing good about the Thief reboot. Plus, I'd add in there was nothing good about the Dungeon Keeper reboot either. Both make Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein look pretty good by comparison.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
I like how you specify "reboot franchise", as if there were that many reboots this generation to actually become a series. If you wanted to guide people into agreeing with you purely on a technicality, you might as well have gone for "worst reboot franchise set in an alternate reality nazi-controlled world or featuring an acrobatic globe-trotting woman adventurer".

There were tons of stand-alone reboots this generation that were worse than any installment in the Wolfenstein and Tomb Raider remake series (Shaq Fu, Dungeon Keeper, Mass Effect Andromeda), tons of sequels to still-running franchises that were worse (Halo 5, Destiny 2, Dead Rising 4, any Call of Duty), and even when it comes to your restrictive qualifier of "remake franchises", I still prefer Wolfenstein and Tomb Raider over, say, Shadow Warrior.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Ok, so I didn't play the new tomb raider games, nor The New Collossus, but The New Order Wolfenstein's game mechanics were woefully lacking.

The pseudo stealth was awful, the insane fragility of the main character compared to the HORDES of enemies made combat intensely frustrating, and the game felt like it just ENDED like 2/3rds of the way through.

Like, I'm not the best at shooters, but I'm no slouch either. And I had to drop the difficulty down to the absolute lowest level to get any enjoyment out of the game. I did that stupid annoying new york "hold the penthouse" type mission like a dozen times and could not pull it off.

At which point I threw up my hands and said "!@#$ this, I'm playing this to get the thrill of gunning down nazi scum, not to suffer. This ain't even the fun kind of suffering like Dark Souls or Etrian Odyssey, or whatever!".

Once all the difficulty was gone and I could just effortlessly dunk on my enemies, it was a passable shooter experience, although it still ended before there was enough proper narrative/emotional payoff.
This. Though I will say that I didn't drop the difficulty down until the final boss. I slogged through this game, I won't lie there were brief sparks of fun which got my hopes up but then it would go back to the slog. I got to the final boss in the tiny room full of fire and by then the grind had made me really not care about anything but I'd come so far I thought I would see the end. The boss killed me a few times because that final boss is made of total bullshit and I had had enough so I dropped the difficulty down to Super Easy and killed the boss by farting on him.

So, Wolfenstein: The New Order is the worst of the reboots. My brother got me The Old Blood and its just as bad, if not worse. I have had fun with the Tomb Raider reboots so yay.

Having said all that, the demo they put out for the Doom reboot made me not want to play it, so that is possibly worse than Wolfenstein.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I swear all these threads seem to focus on, like, 5 games in total, with varying combinations. Like that chart radio station an acquaintance of mine always listens to and has basically the same 1 album they repeat each hour, it's the audio equivalent of Chinese water torture. I've had to cut down on visiting them since the tracks started repeating in my head the early hours of every morning. That is literal brain damage, I tells ye! Not long till the hemorrhaging begins.

Push the boat out a bit sometimes, play outside one's comfort zone, you never know what wonders you'll find! This is all rather cyclical otherwise. Variety helps expand the imagination!

Anyway, am gonna cheat and say Hunt down the Freeman, cause it is a reboot attempt in my mind, considering valve has left that IP to decompose in modern abstraction. Cheating is a videogames thing, so that is how am justifying this to self.