Poll: Would games be better without snipers?

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Absolutely not, in my opinion. Not only would it be unrealistic, but it would also take some of the spice out of the game, I think.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I still don't comprehend the unbelievable amount of hatred that's directed at snipers. I see no reason for them to be anymore hated than a corner camper or an aggressive rusher. Besides, sniping is among the easiest strategies to counter in most games.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Erana said:
I may actually be doing whatever I can to distract them in order to protect my teammates. I'd probably be dismissed by that sniper a stupid n00b for trying to build the same turret over and over right in their line of sight, but that's an extra second in which my teammates can get to cover, isn't it? Unless there are multiple snipers, a tactical turret needs only a few seconds to be able to withstand a noncharged shot- then a few more to weather a charged shot, and then hinder the sniper's entire team.

Really, though, if a sniper's making an absolute killing off the other team, they're not displaying their skill to their peers- they're being an asshole whose playing against people obviously not to their skill level.
Same goes for every class and every weapon in every multiplayer game: if you're dominating the enemy team, either go find people up to your skill level, play as something else, or find a way to not ruin the fun of everyone else while doing what you're doing.
As interesting and selfless a tactic as this is, it is pointless. Whilst you are essentially taking the enemy snipers out of the game by distracting them with pointless targets, you are also taking yourself out of the game by spending so much time, setting them up. It doesn't offer much of an advantage.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Snipers can add the 'realism' of combat... making you actually think before running balls-to-the-walls down an alley or into a courtyard. And, frankly, it actually takes a seriously good player to use a sniper effectively.

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
I only like rifle only battles when it is a small number. Like one on one. No more than four people playing. Those battles can get bloody intense. The tiniest movement can betray your enemy. Gently pull the trigger and blam your enemy's head explodes. Quickly move to a new perch and hope that no other snipers saw you move. This is the best part about sniping to me is that stealth is so key. You have to stay hidden or your enemy will easily out maneuver you.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
118Cashmore said:
Snipers make a game more challeging.
after being killed by one, you get a snipers grudge which means you want to get asniper yourself find the Bastard and snipe him back and so starts a litle batle between two players.
Or you sneak around and try to find a way to get behind the sniper and then you jam a knife in the back of his head and tea bag the hell out of him.

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
I detest snipers, especially because 90% of them are kill whores and never help in objective games. The only time most of them cap a point in say domination, is because its in their camping area.

Still once you know where the camp spots are they are easy prey.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I've never been a huge fan of sniper rifles.

Sniper rifles don't keep the herds of noobs in check, good players do. If you've ever played any of the first three Quake games at their peak, you know what I'm talking about. I suppose you could argue the Railgun was similar to a sniper rifle, but... well... it's different.

Maybe it's a generational thing.

Without going on too much of a rant, I think sniper rifles slow down the pace of FPSs far too much, and if anything, actually enable noobs. To me, FPSs these days come off as little more than rehearsed tactics based on whatever map you may be on. Through experience you know where the sniper spots are, you know where to expect grenade bombardments, you know the wall to wait behind for enemies to funnel into a shooting gallery, etc. There is less skill involved, and more basic memorization of canned strategy.

Twitch is the only real test of skill in an FPS, unfortunately most people don't have it. So the game developers pander to the lowest common denominator by putting in weapons like flame-throwers for those with heavy trigger fingers and no regard for aiming.

Also, I'm not saying anything bad about the people who play snipers. I actually have a great deal of respect for those who play the sniper position well; those that aim quick and are able to remain mobile.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
RedMenace said:
Suuuuure.

Because running and spraying bullets is the only legitimate way of playing any FPS. Anything else is for a "f*ggoty a$$ cheating n00b b*tches".

[/sarcasm]
Hah, well said, good sir.

It looks like someone isn't very good at avoiding potential sniping areas. If you keep dying, it's not the snipers fault, it's yours.

I'm a sniper, yeah I said it. It's the safest role to play in FPS games.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Snipers are fun to watch, kill, be etc. A game without them ends up with guys with assault rifles just charging head first into each other.

However I would like a limit on how many snipers there should be on a team. TF2 does this well. The max for any game (depending on team size) should only be about 1-2 snipers. Games like CoD are not fun when your whole team have snipers and nothing else.

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
Boy do I hate getting sniped with a 'curving bullet' in TF2 (hitbox lagging 10 meters behind you and getting killed although from your perspective you're completely safe) but I don't think removing them would be a good idea. And "would games be better" is really impossible to answer with a yes/no, since some games might benefit from it, but most propably not.

FutureHousedad

Oct 15, 2009
RedMenace said:
awesomeClaw said:
Because running and spraying bullets is the only legitimate way of playing any FPS. Anything else is a "f*ggoty a$$ n00b cheating".

That is acually how i see it.
Than I have only 2 thing to say to you:

1) Quote button. Use it. Love it.

2) Learn to play. Snipers are good, but they have their weaknesses. Locate a sniper and use cover strategically to get close. Than gun him down. Its as easy as 3.14159.
Haha i see what you did there, missing a few digits though.

OT: As many people have already said, snipers are a neccesary evil, they help steady the pace of engagement. It would be too frantic without them.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
There are 3 basic ranges for me:

1. Shotgun/SMG/Pistol
2. Assault Rifle/LMG
3. Sniper Rifle

The middle range is generally the most used one in most games, but by taking out snipers, you would remove about 1/4 of the multiplayer gameplay, by my (very rough) estimate, and drastically reduce the level of tactical gameplay.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
No. Most of the time, people are just whiners. Some of the times, it's a matter of design choice which will naturally delight some, and horrify others. A very small percentage of the times, it needs to be balanced. One in a million times, it needs to be removed.

Nebr66

Aug 8, 2008
only if the sniper is also a screen-watcher. not as much a problem online but still.

MasTerHacK

Apr 15, 2009
HELL NO!
Then I would have no reason to play. I can't play without being the sniper(mostly) and this would ruin any game for me.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
I don't really have a problem with them, unless its all they do. Then I have a problem with it.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
No way man! It's a good feeling you get when you're in a good position and there's a guy about to capture the flag, but you gots him right between the eyes! Zing!