Poll: Would having real-life superheros be good or bad for the world?

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
What I think the most interesting possible outcome would be is that some 60 million suddenly gain extraordinary power...and do absolutely nothing with it. Like if the only people that got super powers were the same kinds of people that win the lottery and keep their jobs at the post office.

"Would you look at that, I've spontaneously gained the ability to walk through walls. Well, better get on to work. Those appliances aren't going to sell themselves."

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Anyone read X-Men lately? What happens when good heroes go bad - multiple cities destroyed, thousands possibly killed, fishing industry crippled due to the ocean being on fire, oh and the possibility of a small ice age from intense amounts of volcanic ash being forcefully released into the atmosphere. It's an ecological doomsday scenario even after the cities are repaired, infrastructure put back in place, and the funerals. Having actual superheroes in the world would be very very bad.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Go watch this little film, came out on DVD recently... it's called The Avengers. Watch that and tell me how New York benefited from that scenario.... Because last I checked there was utter chaos/destruction and NYC almost got nuked.

With Great Powers comes bad people with OTHER great powers.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I would say good...but most people don't think the way I do or have the morals to become superheroes.

IF it was me...well BEHOLD the Archangel of Lightning is here. Then everything would good. I would expect something like...*sigh* Hancock. It's the most likely thing that would happen...

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
The great thing about superheroes is that evil wears a costume and is out there for everyone to see. In reality evil wears a suit and blends in with lesser evils and the occassional not-so-bad. That's why the fantasy about being able to find evil and destroy it is so compelling. In the real world, if you attempt to find and destroy evil you'll get arrested or, even worse, sued by Electr... um... yeah. Evil will sue the pants off you.

There's also the argument about vigilantes don't solve anything. OP should watch The Incredibles. Oh and read more of the news about Phoenix Jones.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I'm one of the few saying good. It's not like people would suddenly become evil if they had super powers, they'd have way too much to lose like family, friends, careers, basically their whole lives. Plus the government would be paranoid and keep a close eye on these people sending in elite combat operatives to take them out if they so much as threatened to do anything illegal.

Having super powers wouldn't be that awesome because the rest of the world would suddenly be jealous of you, and there would be enormous societal pressure to use the powers for good and not squander them.

Many people would end up using their powers for personal gain, but not in an criminal way. They'd probably hire themselves out to people or organizations to perform special tasks using their powers for money.

Essentially they wouldn't operate outside the system, the system would be change in order to accommodate them. I know it sounds boring but realistically it's the most likely scenario.

Tinygiant

Feb 16, 2011
Bad. People are unstable and evil. Now imagine that some are far past the rest of us in power. Anyone would misuse that.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Personally I think it would end up more like Misfits than Watchmen. The majority of people would just keeping living like normal instead of becoming superheros or supervillains. I'm going to say good. It could make the lives of people much easier. For example flying is a good way to get around. Sure some people will have bad uses of it but it is still worth it. Also it would give me a chance of getting superpowers.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Real life super heroes would mean guys like Eddie Blake, Ozymandias and Rorschach from Watchmen. Yeah... I don't see that ending very well.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Your question is misleading I think. Superheroes would be great. Random Superpowers would be a bad, bad scene man.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Overall good as long as they were not specially designed for combat. Could be useful for things.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well, a few would have vendettas or 'evil' things they'd like to do right off the bat. Most, I would think, would feel alienated and that could lead to all sorts. A few would use their powers in everyday life and impose justice as they see fit (I know that's what I'd do). But what it amounts to is a very large percentage essentially dicking around, with maybe a couple joining the police force or military or something. Not to mention there'd be infighting among the superpowereds, aliances could form later. The governments of most countries would get involved, trying to restrain, regulate, maybe kill them, a few would be killed and the rest would be split into a handful of "let's negotiate"s and the majority I would think going for the "screw governments" approach. Essentially, a cross between Chronicle and X-Men.

But what do I know, I haven't seen it happen.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
This.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiLOGi1T-a0
also there are films like Chronicle and Watchmen that also make good points.
"With great power, comes great responsibility" Now imagine someone in real life, who didn't live by the moral of this quote, it would be terrifying.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
1% of the population with super powers. That's about 60-70 millions, we can expect there to be quite a few in that crowd who lives in poverty, or have grown up in an abusive home, been picked on in school. I don't know how far I would trust anyone not to use powers for evil, but least of all someone who might hold grudges or want to escape poverty.

Having superheroes would be good, having random people with superpowers would be really, really bad.

ODWX9K

Oct 29, 2012
I think it'd be quite interesting, for better or worse.

I'd prefer seeing more Blades, Punishers, Spawns, Magnetos, and any number of other anti-heroes & anti-villains than Superman/Batman/Spider-man/etc., myself. But then again, I couldn't care less for "lawful " at all.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
As others in this thread have said, I recommend you read Watchmen to find your answer. It is an amazing graphic novel set in the 1930s to 70s to make full use of the superhero situation. For example, America won Vietnam because it had a superhero on its side. That, and the Comedian :p. You have to think beyond the 'guy who was picked on' and think about the economical and political consequences as well. What would happen if the rebels in Syria had a person with super powers for example? What if a group of people with super powers banded together and offered their services as super-mercenaries?[sub]You heard it here first folks, super-mercenaries![/sub]

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Short term? Bad. Really bad. There would be a long struggle to create a delicate balance which avoids either a) a non-super underclass, or b) unjust persecution or mass confinement of supers.

On the other hand, long term? The advancements to many fields of science would likely be enormous, and if the super population rises significantly, those advances would multiply.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I would like to believed it would benefit for the good but since this is reality we're talking about, it definitely will be bad. Sure I can guess a few who are inspired by comicbook superheroes would try to lived up to the superhero images but they will eventually subcome to hash reality.

In saying so however if those real life "superhero" (Shadow Hare, Pheonix Jones and etc) did get superpowers then it will benefit for the good abit depending if they get corrupted by the new powers or not.

I'm pretty sure most of the newly powered individual would abuse their powers but what if people in places like in war conflicted areas had acquire superpowers? Very bad indeed.

If the goverment were able to control them then it could be argue that they are opressing them or something like that (something like X-men).