Poll: Would I Enjoy Mass Effect?

Skalman

Jul 29, 2008
Anyone will enjoy Mass Effect if even remotely sane...

Yep, I'm a fanboy, could you tell?

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Dele said:
I agree with the above. Mass Effect had serious problems with nvidia drivers and it took me around 80 reboots to finish the game.
Have you had any problems with Dawn of War 2 suddenly crashing and having to hard reboot?
Didn't happen to me first time I played it for like 10+ hours, now it happens on avg every 3 stages.
Sorry I have not played it but the problems in Mass Effect were just like that. First addicting 10+ hours with no crash or one tops and in the end I had to save before every battle and hope the game didnt crash.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
I don't know if you'd like Mass Effect. Don't know what your tastes are. I liked it, but then again I like RPGs a lot. And stuff from BioWare. Shame EA got their hands onto BioWare.

Elim Garak

Jan 19, 2008
No, you won't like it. It is very slow. And the story could be better. Basically if you enjoy reading through all of the backstory, go for it - otherwise don't bother. As an FPS it sucks quite a bit too.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
It sounds like there's a wide range of response. Unless you know some people that share your tastes fairly well and can give you their opinion, I'd have to say go with the rental/borrow approach to be sure.

Zaydin said:
I don't know if you'd like Mass Effect. Don't know what your tastes are. I liked it, but then again I like RPGs a lot. And stuff from BioWare. Shame EA got their hands onto BioWare.
I can't say I see the shame in the amount of money being pumped into the two Bio studios now.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
No. It's about 1/3 interactive novel, 1/3 rpg and 1/3 action. If you only like the action, you're going to be very bored.

I personally loved it.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
RollForInitiative said:
It sounds like there's a wide range of response. Unless you know some people that share your tastes fairly well and can give you their opinion, I'd have to say go with the rental/borrow approach to be sure.

Zaydin said:
I can't say I see the shame in the amount of money being pumped into the two Bio studios now.
The shame being IT'S EA! They tend to pump stuff out at a rate that's embarrassing with the least gameplay changes as possible. See the Madden series for an example. For games like Mass Effect, they can get away with it for a while, but part of what drew people into Mass Effect was the combat, as it is pretty fast paced compared to previous RPGs. And as enjoyable as combat is, it does start to get repetitive after a while. Don't get me wrong, it's still exhilarating to pick off enemies at a distance with an assault rifle by ducking out from behind cover. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game & am looking forward to the sequel, I'm just hoping EA doesn't rape the series till' it's dead.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
Dele said:
Anonymouse said:
Well I tried to play Mass Effect. First I had to dl all the upgrades to even get it to start, then I had to roll back my drivers to a earlier version because the stupid fucking game would not work with the new batch of nvidia drivers, then when I finally got it working when I talked to the first commander every time it froze and I had to hard reboot my system.
Mass Effect and Bioware can go fuck themselves.
I agree with the above. Mass Effect had serious problems with nvidia drivers and it took me around 80 reboots to finish the game.
Any idea whether the driver issue has been fixed yet or not? Because I really want to get this game at some point in the future, and I'm worried that it may take issue with the Nvidia card in my computer...

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
whyarecarrots said:
Dele said:
Anonymouse said:
Well I tried to play Mass Effect. First I had to dl all the upgrades to even get it to start, then I had to roll back my drivers to a earlier version because the stupid fucking game would not work with the new batch of nvidia drivers, then when I finally got it working when I talked to the first commander every time it froze and I had to hard reboot my system.
Any idea whether the driver issue has been fixed yet or not? Because I really want to get this game at some point in the future, and I'm worried that it may take issue with the Nvidia card in my computer...
It seems to me that the game was recently patched and patch claims to fix such issues.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
Dele said:
It seems to me that the game was recently patched and patch claims to fix such issues.
Hmm, that sounds good, but after my experiences with Fallout 3 I've learnt not to trust patches... My game ended up crashing whenever I went into the Jefferson Memorial

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
whyarecarrots said:
Dele said:
Anonymouse said:
I'd just like to say that I bought this game months ago, my pc uses Nvidia graphics and Vista x64. If it were to fail to work on any machine, it would on mine. But it didn't, so I think his problem must have been specific to his systems configuration. Perhaps I just have a magic touch of compatability, because so far I've been able to make every game I own (even ones from the early 90's) run on x64 without much effort, which seems to be the exception to the rule.

On topic: I think you might find Mass Effect a bit slow paced. Basically, if you're looking for a shooter, buy a shooter.