Poll: Would the world be a better place without religion?

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
When people learn to accept thing for what they. Untill then yea we need religion

Know what now that I'v thout about it I take my comment back. Religion is a complicated subject to even be talkin about and it all waaaaaaay too easy to offend someone over it. So for now the que. if we need religion yes/no it all depends. personaly i find it hard to believe theres a higher power and all just from my exsperiances in life.

Anoos

Dec 10, 2007
If you think about all the negative things religion has caused (wars from the crusades to various atrocities and genocides and such in modern times) plus all the hate and bigotry from one faith to another, the persecution of science back in the olden days it seems to me that without it we would probably be far more peaceful and tolerant and more socially and technologically advanced now. Although I may be completely wrong it is hypothetical.
And to those who say it is the reason for maorals etc etc whats the problem with doing good things for the sake of it? thats what i like to think i do occasionally and i'm very very non-religious.

Ma2ReeD

Sep 8, 2008
personally, i think that there should only be one religion that goes something like this:

if you're a good person, the world around you will become a better place. the better you are the better the world will be. if you lie, cheats and steal, the world will become a worse place. the worse you are, the worse the world will be.

as far as i can tell, all the other stories (that may or may not be true) create conflict between people. while these stories can re-enforce the rules, they create more trouble than they are worth, and should be left out of religion.

this is all IMO, and i'll admit that i don't know/think very much about religion.