Poll: Would we all be cool with a female Link?

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Nope. Link is Link. Besides if you want to change things about the LoZ series the protagonists gender is probably near the bottom of the list of things that indicate it's in a gigantic creative rut and actually needs changing right now.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I'd rather have a Zelda game where you play as Zelda (And not like the CDI game). I think it would feel much fresher, and can open up to many new mechanics, like using magic to solve puzzles and fight enemies. Zelda has proven several times that she's more than capable to handle herself, and in several instances she's been on her own adventure. I'd like to see something like Skyward Sword but you're playing through Zelda's adventures, with her facing her own trials and obstacles, and learning how to rule a kingdom, and you can still have Link go on his journey without turning him into a "damsel in distress" instead.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I don't play Zelda games and would wonder why they just didn't use the titular Zelda if they wanted a female protagonist but I wouldn't mind.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
All a Link needs to be able to do to be Link is swing a sword around, wear green clothes and shout "Hyaaaa". I'm reasonably certain none of those requirements preclude having a female Link.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I would be fine if it was done well.
I'd be happy if it was put in there just as a change of pace or to add interest or something. But if its in there just to say its a girl protag and be all modern I would be annoyed.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I hate it when established characters have their gender or race changed just because it would be different.

Yes I do have an issue with Link suddenly being female. Though I'm 100% fine with a Legend of Zelda game where you control Zelda and she goes on her own adventure.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The only people who would have problems with it are adult babies.
I don't see why the concept would not work. In all the games descriptors of Link, he is described as a hero in green garb. Sex, race, bodyshape, etc. never played a factor in that.
Hell Link could be a Goron and it could work.

All I care about is that the game is good.

Antendo

Feb 8, 2010
I'd like the option of male/female more than just a gender-swap. I don't think it'd even require all that much work either. As long as you gender-swap the princesses that are crushing on Link. Or heck, be bold and leave them as they are!

Link itself wouldn't need much work, I think. Just a slightly more feminine face, maybe puff up the chest a bit (so that there's SOMETHING, I'm not expecting huge J-cups) and that's about it. And a female voice-actor of course. Hmm... Just imagine Zelda from Skyward Sword wearing Links clothes.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
I'd be fine with it.
Gender swapping for the sake of gender swapping can be fun.
The Fiona and Cake episodes of adventure time for example.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
Couldn't be worse than changing him to be right-handed.

Though it seems somewhat stupid to change Link's gender when the series already has a female character that could fill the roll. Make Zelda go on an adventure and kill chickens and break pots 'n' stuff.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Hell no. Just make a new character or use Zelda. Why do people keep bringing this up? You cool with Hollywood "white-washing" a cast? No? Then why be cool with "Vag-washing" one? It doesn't make Link more interesting just because now he has something else under his little skirt. The idea brings nothing to table for the series. I seriously cant wrap my head around why this is pushed on so much other than an internet personality once said they thought it would be a good idea. Plus, the whole sexism in gaming thing. I have yet to see 1 good reason why this should even be wanted.

It feels cheap and gimmicky because Link is a well established character every bit as much as Mario and even more than Kratos. The only reason to do it is to try to be "edgy" with the whole female protagonist thing going on. However, it isn't edgy because you are piggybacking on Link's previous success. What would be "edgy" is making a new well written female character and actually trying to buck the trend with something fresh and unique.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes, I would be completely fine with a female Link.

But can't think a way that would be welcomed. We are talking about a fanbase that didn't like Wind Waker because it was too cartoony, even before it was released.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, I don't even play Zelda, so I don't have any stake in it, so I guess yeah, I wouldn't be raging and rampaging in the streets because of femme-Link.

But a pretty major question is "Why?"

If you're going to break the formula, why not go all the way and use a completely new character? That would be far more interesting.

Jun 11, 2008
No because it would be weird. I mean Nintendo change something in a Zelda game, I don't think I can envision a world such as that. Joking aside, I honestly don't see the point in making Link a girl other than to do it arbitrarily to be different. If it works in the context of that particular Zelda sure as why would you change it if you don't need to. It isn't like we already have an established Tri Force user that has ovaries already. They could also just do a spin off and have Link train an apprentice that fights Ganon's apprentice. That would certainly be less gimmicky than changing an established character.

It would also be strange having Zelda be a man for a game too. Zelda has been a girl in every other game I don't see the need for the change.

Feb 22, 2009
There's a common misconception among non-Zelda fans that Link is in fact called Zelda. I think this in itself indicates we are ready to accept a female hero.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I think a female Link would be a fun idea. Though I'd probably be more interested in a good Zelda-centric game.
It's not like Link's penis is particularly central to the franchise.
They can afford to shake things up and it might be more interesting if they did.

Zhukov said:
I'm sure it would piss off some people though.
- "It's political correctness gone mad! Stop being inclusive!"
- "Change something?! Not on my watch!"
- "Them conniving woman-y types are muscling in on my male spaces!"
This made me laugh a lot.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
No. I wouldn't be cool with a female Link for the same reason I wouldn't be cool with a male Samus Aran. They're established characters. One is male. The other is female. That's it.

But having said that, I'm pretty sick of Link. I'd be happy for them to give the series over to Zelda herself now.

Edit: Actually, now that I've said it, why *would* you waste Zelda by gender-swapping Link instead of moving the spotlight over? I'd much rather play a Zelda game than another male OR female Link game.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
delta4062 said:
That just screams changing for the sake of having a female character. Why not just create a Zelda like game with a female?
Yeah have to agree. Why not make a spin off game and let Zelda kick a little ass for once instead of just being Link's MacGuffin.