Poll: Would you be ok with games going exclusively digital?

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Mixed feelings. For the most part, no...but only assuming there's a system in place that makes them (basically) permanent (i.e. ala Steam). I also feel like (limited) physical editions with cool stuff should still exist for games where it makes sense.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
No, I tried installing all my games to my Xbox hard drive, very quickly I almost ran out of space. I don't like the idea of deleting and then waiting an hour for them to download again when I want to play them. For example, I hadn't played Crackdown for nearly 2 years and last week I decided to play it again and had forgotten how good it was, if I'd have had to download it I wouldn't have bothered. Also you can't trade in downloads, as far as I know anyway.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Depends on the price, I really don't care either way. I used to think physical merch was better but honestly some of that stuff disappears over the years or just takes up space. Also got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and found that reading eBooks isn't so bad and changed perceptions of digital merch forever.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
No, I wouldn't. At least not for "big" game releases - you wouldn't catch buying GTA V in digital format, for example. It may be an increasingly old-fashioned these days, but there's still a lot to be said for having the game there in your hands once you've paid for it.

I tend to be partial to physical media for most things, not just when it comes to videogames. I'm yet to be convinced by the need for something like a Kindle. Can't really think of a time I'd need to have access to my entire collection of books - I'd maybe take two books on a holiday with me if thought I was going to be doing some reading on my downtime.

Plus buying games digitally is just one less reason to interact with the outside world. It may sound a little alarmist, but this sort of thing reminds me a program I saw on tv showing off what some people thought would be a home of the future. The centrepiece of the house was of course, a pod you could completely enclose yourself in, from which you could watch tv, use the internet and even order in food when you needed it. As the presenter of that show said, they weren't a great fan of this idea, as it just seemed like a way for a person to completely shut themselves off from any real form of human contact. After all, if we could order our food from our little pods and get all our entertainment delivered ot us digitally, what need would you really have to venture out your door?

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'll take a physical copy over digital any day.
Besides, I haven't even downloaded ten games in my entire gaming lifetime.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
eventually, i would love it if all games went digital. but right now the technology doesnt feel quite ready. its fine for pc but i can remember trying to download full length tripple A games on my ps3 and it was like an all day affair

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
w9496 said:
I prefer discs to downloads.

There are really good reasons to have both, but I like discs because I don't lose all of my games if something happens to my Xbox's hard drive.
This. Exactly this. With my 360 getting on up in years I don't want to risk losing all my games as well as my data.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Personally i think it's stupid people seem to think it's one or the other, thus limiting the possible sales either way. Just release games as both so that (shock horror) the customer can CHOOSE how they want their games. Personally I use both, I'll get games that I really love as hard copy (usually collectors editions to justify the higher cost), and then buy games I'm not so sure on or just checking out cheaply on steam (usually on sale) or other digital provider. Best of both worlds.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'd be okay with it... if there was such a thing as standard worldwide broadband internet with no data cap. I'm talking rural China, sub-Saharan Africa... everywhere.

Until then, hell no. We don't have the infrastructure to support such an industry.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
MajorTomServo said:
I spent ~$120 on virtual console games over the years. One day, my wii died, and I lost all of them forever. Haven't bought a non-physical game since.

Physical games are usually cheaper too. There's sales, used copies, rentals... But with download only, there's usually a monopoly. PSN shop is still charging like $30 for Duke Nukem Forever...
That's not digital distribution's fault, that's the Wii's fault. That wouldn't have happened on the PS3, Xbox360, or any PC digital distributor; it wouldn't be fair to discriminate against all digital distributors just because the Wii has a flawed system of managing it.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I'm not against the idea of going full digital. However, some criteria must be met.

1) Digital downloads must be cheaper by some margin. Not the biggest issue.

2) Digital media must not require a constant online-link aspect of any kind. That is just neo-DRM

3) MOST IMPORTANT. Once I have the digital download, I must have complete control over the purchased files. I should be able to move an entire functional copy of my new game onto a portable hard drive or SD card, for example.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
I would be ok with it, but companies would have to cut out the licensing crap they are doing now. I like to own the things I bought, not borrow them until further notice.

MindFragged

Apr 2, 2009
So long as digital download is cheaper and more convenient, yes. It's probably not okay how much I like Steam and its sweet, sweet, sales.....

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
shrekfan246 said:
Casual Shinji said:
No way.

I'm still a bit steamed I was forced to buy Okami HD on PSN, and I dread the day when my PS3 dies.
To play devil's advocate (since I stated my opinion in the mirror of this thread), how would owning a physical copy make a difference if the console were to die? Either way you need to replace the console and can't play until you do.
Well, you would still at least have it. It wouldn't have just desolved into nothing.
Worrying about the PSN dying out and leaving you unable to redownload should your console die is fair enough, but you're free to redownload any games you've bought off the PSN.
I know, but that's only available for I think three times. So should you be so unlucky as to have your console get busted thrice in a short number of years, it's bye bye downloads. Also I had my PS3 die once and I remember it being a giant pain in the ass to reactivate my account on a new console. When I look at the games I've downloaded I can't help but feel like there's a little timer above them counting down. I'd be okay if they gave you the ability to store downloaded games and such on flash drive or something.
That is not true any more Sony fixed that after they moved to the Sony Entertainment Network if I'm not mistaken. Now all you need to do is go to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.
With this you can deactivate any ps3 from your account allowing you to activate a new system and the redownload your game.

OP I am the type of person who will lose his head if it was not attached and I cant lose downloadable games so I voted for yes

OmniMoose

Mar 14, 2012
I'm rather adamant about owning a physical copy of any game I purchase. I like to go back and play games several times over, like recently I've been hitting up the Golden Sun franchise again. I'd rather not see video games transition from something akin to buying 'artwork' to being a service that can be removed or disappear as companies go under and pop up. Dramatic, but I think it's a relevant concern.

Now obviously, a lot of digital games are downloadable, but there's a finite amount of space on a hard drive as games are getting larger in size. I'd never have enough room on a non-$300 plus HDD to store digital copies of all the physical copies of games I currently own. That seems like a fairly small price to pay, but I don't trust future OS to be compatible with all the games I enjoy forever. I've worked with computers enough to know that in general data is stable, but more often then you'd think things can get corrupted. Plus, what happens if the download server is taken down, and I've switched OS or some other such thing, and I want to go back and play it? Can I go to my shelf and pull it out, nostalgia-ing the whole way? No, I'm SOL.

Now, obviously others have different perspectives, and some people aren't as inclined to replay a game once they've gone through it a few times. To sum up, I like to have a physical copy of any game I buy, because I am then responsible for it, and in charge of it, not some service or company.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I'd be fine with an all digital system as long as it goes with these rules:

1. You can redownload as much as you wish.

2. It is account locked, not machine locked.

3. You can interupt a download.

4. It will ALWAYS be available to redownload.

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
I prefer having the discs, it just feels more personal that way. But if we do end up going digital only, it might take some getting used to but I could manage.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
While I do greatly prefer to actually have a physical copy of the game I own, I think I could be ok with digital only. But a few things would need to happen first, such as the price of memory units dropping, keeping it like Steam or Silver XBox Live where the service itself is free, and having purchases locked to the account not the machine.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Hell no, I like my games in hard copy. If my Xbox hard drive gets damaged in transport or my computer needs formatting and a re-install of my OS then I'd have to download everything again, and this is assuming that I have some sort of ID that lets whichever supplier know that I paid for the game and own it. That would get complicated.
Then there's the issue of living in Australia and sometimes NZ, where the internet is slow and expensive. We get charged different amounts for each data plan, so downloading even a small game like Blood Dragon takes FOREVER and can end up maxing some plans out for the month depending on any other stuff I've downloaded. The network seems to fuck up all the time and I have to constantly check to make sure the game I've paid for is actually downloading.
So yea, fuck digital. And seriously fuck always online stuff. That shit will eat every Australian and NZ gamers' money right up.