Poll: Would you buy a game ONLY for multiplayer?

The Great Zegrool

Jul 29, 2009
If it's less than twenty dollars new, then yes, I would.

Or if it's REALLY good.

I (mostly) regard multiplayer as half of a game, so I'm willing to pay half the price.

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
No; I'm not against multiplayer mode, it can be fun with friends, but multiplayer games come and go, the next big game could be out in a month.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I rarley play thge multiplayer aspect of a game anyway, buying a multiplayer only game would be like burning £40

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
No. Multiplayer is a generally fun side experience of a game, a game has to have single player. otherwise, I'm not buying it. Tf2 is an exception because it came with the orange box.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Admittedly, it was packaged with Half-Life, but I only wanted multiplayer from Counter Strike (though a 'practice' mode with bots would have been nice; I realize mods now exist that do that). Same for Left 4 Dead, though single player mode was convenient so I could figure out what I was doing before embarrassing myself.

wikicated

Jun 7, 2009
LightspeedJack said:
So Escapists, would you buy a game only for the multiplayer (not counting MMORPGS). I mean games like MAG. For me there must be a decent campaign for me to buy it, no campaign, no purchase. Also are there any games you've bought and played only multi, not the campaign?
yes and im going to purchase mag in the near future the beta was good so yeah.
also i have hardly touched the campaign of MW2 ive played to the "controversial" level and that level for me was like giving pyro a box of flares in a oil refinery.

note: remember fairly good analogy for future use.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
I bought TF2...
Well, I bought the Orange Box which contained TF2 and it's only a multiplayer game sooo...
you get what I mean.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
if the multiplayer element is strong enough that I don't notice, I may buy it but I don't always like having to deal with people so Im kinda split even

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
No, I don't play enough multiplayer in general enough to warrant such a purchase. It isn't a "games need a single campaign" idea, because I could truly care less. For me it is simple money managing. I don't have the time or the effort to put into said games in contrast to the amount of joy I'd receive, so I don't buy them.

I think of it like a genre, and it just happens to be a genre I don't enjoy very much.

That being said however, anything half assed usually isn't worth it. Why waste development time and money on something that isn't a main selling point. Erase a campaign story mode and include an option to play vs. some bots like in the old days.

clipped crow

Nov 27, 2009
I'm a big Battlefield fan and and a hardcore F.E.A.R. freak.

I'll buy a main multiplayer every couple of years, but after that it has to be a campaign heavy game. The only real exception is if it's CO-OP, I love CO-OP with such a passion that it doesn't matter what game it is, I'll play it.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
battlefield 1942
battlefield 2
battlefield 2142
battlefield bad company 2
unreal tournament
ut2k4
team fortress 2
counter strike
DEFCON
wolfenstein enemy territory
quake 2
quake 3 arena

there are probably a lot more if i thought about it. but all of these games ive put at least 250 hours into individually over the years, with bf2, tf2 and css all having had more than 600 hours played since they came out.

yes, i buy games just for the mulitplayer, because good multiplayer games can offer so much more enjoyment than any single player game ever could (except super metroid and deus ex).

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
well, it has to be some brilliant, re-playable multiplayer, and quite a few game modes... and possible mods. this is why i bought TF2

ManiacEskimo

Mar 31, 2009
Yes, Team Fortress 2, Red orchestra, killing Floor. To some extent left 4 Dead though it does have single player which I never play.

Also DEFCON, UT04 (though I only played it twice), and one or two more.

ayuri

Sep 11, 2009
there are always new challenges in multiplayer and i enjoy always having new content.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I play single player almost exclusively. The majority of the games I have that offer multiplayer are used mostly for local multiplayer. I just don't have a big desire to go online, I don't see the appeal as much, I s'pose.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
No - I play games for SP, using MP as an amusement with people i know online and nothing else.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Team Fortress 2, just downloaded it. Also I bought Counterstrike: Source, but only because it came with Day of Defeat: Source, which is multiplayer only.