Poll: Would you buy a PlayStation "Legacy"

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Okay, so let's call it, the Play Station Legacy. Imagine it as a console released alongside the PS4 (probably some time after) and it plays PS1, 2 and 3 games. And let's say it was released at the price PS3's/360's are currently going for.
Also assume we're living in the next gen (PS4,361)
Would you buy one?
If not, explain your reasons? Do you have a better idea?
ALSO, this also applies to some theoretical Xbox Legacy, same thing, but for 360 and Xbox games.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
So it's basically a PS3 with full backwards compatibility? You know that'd require three independent processors, right?

I mean, yeah I would buy one, but it's not going to happen.

nexus

May 30, 2012
No, I emulate older generations..

It's the only way, as far as I'm concerned.. unless you're a physical collector. Otherwise I enjoy keeping, and sharing game libraries.

I am not a fan of "Classic" re-releases where they make no effort other than re-selling it for an undeserving price. In my opinion, +15 year generations should have their entire libraries released in their respective online stores, entirely free.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
ResonanceSD said:
So it's basically a PS3 with full backwards compatibility? You know that'd require three independent processors, right?

Why 3 processors? The PS3 already plays PS1 games, so you'd only need a single additional processor for the PS2. Essentially you'd just need a launch PS3 to have full backward compatibility wouldn't you?

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Considering I already own a PS2 and PS3, it wouldn't be worth it. If my dream came true and Sony released a PS4 with full backwards compatibility, HELL YES, even if it cost a lot extra. But if my PS2/3 broke down in the future I would definitely invest in this hypothetical "Legacy," so I voted "Only if..."

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
All my PS2 disks are all scratched up and non-functioning so it would basically be so I could continue playing PS3 games.

With that in mind 1)It would need to be cheaper by a bit than a PS3

and 2)There's the issue of usability. When we first got the PS3 we assumed we'd be using our PS2 for our PS2 games but it quickly turned out that if we were going to have to fiddle around with wires and spacing before playing a game, in practical use we'd stick to the PS3. So it would need to be small enough to fit comfortably in a space with the second console and it would need to come with the right wires to have both plugged in at the same time.

(Also 3) Sony would have to have made no real progress with the idea of streaming PS2/PS3 games onto a PS4)

I know 2 is easily fixable but in my experience it only takes small niggles before we don't bother. Thats sort of why consoles exist in the first place, no messing around with user settings and editing ini's to get it running, can be used on a sofa. Small things that shouldn't matter but actually do

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Dirty Hipsters said:
ResonanceSD said:

Why 3 processors? The PS3 already plays PS1 games, so you'd only need a single additional processor for the PS2. Essentially you'd just need a launch PS3 to have full backward compatibility wouldn't you?
Well no, because the Backwards compatibility brought by the PS3 Emulating a PS1 was complete arse.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
I have a PS3 and PS2, so I'm pretty much covered. I have multiple ps1s too, I just never use them. I find them at garage sales for $5 and can't pass them up...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shuu said:
Okay, so let's call it, the Play Station Legacy. Imagine it as a console released alongside the PS4 (probably some time after) and it plays PS1, 2 and 3 games.
So...An original PS3? I already had one of those. Still would if it didn't die.

Yes, yes I would. I would love to have a launch PS3 in new condition.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yes. BC PS3's are expensive, limited, and break easier. I'd buy a few and stockpile them.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Well, I've got a BC PS3, so I have no need for a PS 'Legacy'.

Though I suppose I'd buy it if my PS3 were to crap out on me.

Jan 12, 2012
Yes, if they allowed you to download games as well as having original disc copies. There's plenty of games I'd want to play or try again, and that sort of console would encourage worthwhile re-releases.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
No because my PS3 plays PS2 and PSX games already plus my PS2 and PSX still work anyway. Also you can buy a PS2 for next to nothing now anyway so that would leave just PS3 and im pretty sure they will drop sharply in price when next gen is in full swing.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I would! I have a PS2, and unfortuanately have never had a PS3, but I would definitelty have one for the compatability!

I still find PS1 and 2 games I missed the first time, and recently have been purchasing the whole games for demos I enjoyed from my OPM and PSW magazine subscriptions! Having a single console for all 3 platforms would replace my PS2 and make me a happy man... especially if it had full PSN support, the ability to have a massive hard drive and they would still support making downloadable old game ports for it!

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
ResonanceSD said:

Well no, because the Backwards compatibility brought by the PS3 Emulating a PS1 was complete arse.
The thing is i can't see any real excuse for emulators being shitty :/ if the hardware is more powerful someone or a team just need to invest the time to get it working.

But that's where it falls flat time = money and if they spend money on getting backwards compatibility working it's not going to yield any real money.

Hence why some of the home brew emulators for PC are so good the people who have made them have sunk a HUGE amount of unpaid time into them to get them to work as well as they do.