Poll: Would you buy the hd remake of a game you already own?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Yup. I would. Depends on the game. I picked Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD, because my new monitor doesn't have a component cable slot, and hooking up my Gamecube is not as convenient as it used to be.

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
I would and I have, sometimes for pretty good reasons; our FF 7 discs are so old and worn out that they don't play well or at all.
And sometimes for not so good reasons; I dunnoe where our old Baldurs Gate 1&2 installation discs are.

It all depends on the game. I'm ok with buying a remake (Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin) and even digital versions of older games (the Playstation 1 Spyro games) just because I like to have them at hand if the old discs are unplayable.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I went with option 3 but only if the remake is actually good. I would also buy the remake if for some reason I could no longer play said game.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'll buy an HD remake of a game I really like (SotC + ICO) or an HD collection I've never played (Ratchet & Clank, Resistance).
There's a Resistance collection?
*googles*
And Killzone?
Don't judge me, it's warm under my rock.

Anyway.

Yep, totally would, totally have, a good chunk of my PS4 library are remasters. Haven't finished a single one except for Uncharted and DMC (over God Of War and The Last Of Us, what the heck is wrong with me?) but I like having them.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I have done that. I got the HD re-release of the Splinter Cell trilogy. I also got the HD re-releases of Shadow of the Colossus and ICO. What surprised me in both cases was the discs cost less than $25 each, the former having 3 whole games and the later having 2 whole games.

I'm not sure if this counts, but there is a disc you can buy that is a complete collection of all the Borderlands content in a single case for $40 brand new. It reminds me of the Game of the Year edition for Fallout 3 that had all the DLC that I got for $20. It's just too good a deal to pass up.

You can get amazing deals out there.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
I would play the shit out of a remastered FF6 but that's about it unless its a game I didn't get a chance to finish since I didn't own the system it came out on(FF-x/x2 and kingdom hearts)

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I haven't seen an HD remake of any of the Secret of Mana games, nor have I seen HD remakes of any of the older PS1 RPG games (Wild ARMs, Grandia, LUNAR, etc) so...no, I wouldn't buy any HD remakes. That said, if any of them do get made, you might hear loud, gender questioning squeeing coming from the upstate New York area.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I'm on the PC, so depends how old it is, and how much I liked the original. Backwards compatibility has never been a problem here.

Warcraft 3. Love it. If they came out with a HD version with updated graphics? Gimme. Gimme now.Thankfully I think they were supposed to be releasing a patch that would update it to run better on HD setups, even though the graphics likely won't see an improvement.
Stronghold series. They're starting to look pretty dated, but its rare to find games with the same features. I'd buy them and play them.
Hell, to be honest, its half the reason I've bought every Civ since 1. The slightly different gameplay is a cherry on top, though sometimes [Vanilla Civ V] its just the pip. Getting to play Civ, but actually looking decent instead of looking its age? Yes please.

Bioshock though? It'd want to be one hell of an improvement. I'm talking Crysis level graphics or better here. The old game looks slightly dated, but with its art style it works, and it really still doesn't look bad. Same for 2. Same for 3. It'd have to be an incredible upgrade for it to be worth it, which I honestly doubt it will be.

But yeah, if I love the game, and it just doesn't really hold up to modern standards, or if there's a really high end improvement on it, I'll get it. Sure, graphics aren't everything, but sometimes they are noticeably old, or the new ones are truly incredible and that's a selling point to itself. So long as the gameplay is good though. I mean, I'd buy something just for its amazing graphics - if it was cheap. For a full price game? Yeah, gonna need good gameplay and good graphics there.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Depends, really. I'm unlikely to buy an HD remake of games I dislike or don't care that much about (e.g. most games getting HD remakes) or already look fantastic (e.g. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, BioShock Infinite, any Crysis game). However, I might buy it if it adds something along with prettier graphics or if I think the game could do with a makeover. For instance, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game, but it looks absolutely hideous on the Wii. Making the visuals less barf-inducing until you get used to how bad they are would be nice.

verdant monkai said:
(no I didn't forget pc I just don't care)...Are graphics so important to you that you need to see a game updated?
I don't know why, but I get the suspicion that this is as much a criticism of PC gaming as it is of HD remakes.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Depends on several factors:

1. How old is the game?

2. Does it fix any old issues and/or add anything worthwhile?

3. Does it remove anything good from the game?

4. How expensive is it?

Three is the biggest deal breaker, followed by two, four, and one.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Generally not. I own all the old systems and have no problem plugging one in if I want to play an old game. I love Zelda but have zero interest in the OOT/MM/WW/TP remakes.

Cryselle

Soulless Fire-Haired Demon Girl
Nov 20, 2009
It's all about value for money for me. Does what they have added/improved to the game seem worth the price point. Some HD remakes add a fair amount of improvement (be it systems improvement, graphical, or added content) at a reasonable cost, and I'll pick them up. Some HD remakes barely slap an acceptable coat of paint on things and then charge a premium, and I'll never pay for that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Extra-Ordinary said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'll buy an HD remake of a game I really like (SotC + ICO) or an HD collection I've never played (Ratchet & Clank, Resistance).
There's a Resistance collection?
*googles*
And Killzone?
Don't judge me, it's warm under my rock.
Yeah, the PS3 has some pretty decent HD collections. Fetch a good price, too.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
The third option is the one that most speaks to me but favorite is a strong word.

I was thinking of buying Twilight Princess again but I wouldn't put that on my favorites list.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
If it's a game I really like then sure, I'd love to play it with extra prettiness. If it's a game I didn't care for or one that's only worth playing through once then no, I don't care.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
As long as it's an ACTUAL HD COLLECTION ala the Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary game.
And if so, I'd pick Metal Gear Rising. Can't get enough of that game even now. But seriously put some damn Realtime cutscenes already!

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I've bought only one HD version of a game that I already own, namely Final Fantasy X HD, and I did so only because I really like the game.

Other HD collections I have are of the games I've never played in their original version. Having my hopes up for FFXII HD.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If the remake fixes some glaring technical issues, maybe. I would have to really like the game in the first place.

Tommy1138

Oct 22, 2015
I picked up sleeping Dogs on the Xbone in supposed HD despite having the game on the 360 simply for the remaining DLC and I'm starting to regret that just because they didn't change a blessed thing. The only difference I can visibly see is the way some of the DLC interacts, some parts opening up at later points in the story or chases being non-repeatable, otherwise it's the same game I already had. I did buy the Metro 2033/last light and Saint's Row 4/Gat Out of hell packs on sale for $14.50 each recently too. I grabbed SR4 for the completion factor and Metro simply because I'd long since lent my 360 to my cousin and didn't feel like trekking across town to get it just for two games. I grabbed Beyond Good and Evil back on the 360 because I had hoped Ubisoft might see the sales on that and finally release BG&E 2 so screw you, Ubisoft, you pricks.

Cryselle said:
It's all about value for money for me. Does what they have added/improved to the game seem worth the price point. Some HD remakes add a fair amount of improvement (be it systems improvement, graphical, or added content) at a reasonable cost, and I'll pick them up. Some HD remakes barely slap an acceptable coat of paint on things and then charge a premium, and I'll never pay for that.
I'd just like to say kudos on the Sunstone avatar, that's pretty awesome :)