Poll: Would you colonize Mars?

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
well ultor did that and now the red faction owns mars, and they are pretty happy to be there.

But in all seriousnes, yes we should settle on mars it wouls be the first steo into solar expantion.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Yes, but until it is economically viable it isn't going to happen, and we are some way from that still. The ISS is for research, and research outposts wont change Earth by themselves.

Nopodop

Jan 2, 2011
It would cost way to much. First, the trouble of getting people there who, once they arrive on Mars, would have no support or chance of rescue for a few years if anything went wrong. Secondly, you would either have to convert the atmosphere to mainly nitrogen and oxygen, or build some kind of building that simulates Earth's atmosphere. Then there's the gravity. Since Mars' gravity is a bit less than Earth's (not sure by how much), people living there would adapt to that gravitational situation and if they came to Earth, They would have trouble supporting their own weight.
It would be much more cost effective to cull off a few million or so people. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen any time soon because it's 'unethical'.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Here are some of the problems with colonzing Mars, it would take trillions of dollars, it would be incredibly boring, who would actually want to live on Mars, you would need to take a massive amount of supplies with you (which includes oxygen, food, water, shelter, all the other supplies for other people too, and more), there is only a small window of time to go from Earth to Mars (and vice versa), the surface of Mars is a desert meaning that it can be -90 C (at the mid winter poles it drops to -200 C) at night and then 110 C in the day, there are no usable resources on the surface (examples: food, water, so bring even more supplies), there are sandstorms every day, AND the most important thing is that it is utterly pointless
Edit: I just clicked the poll results, 75% yes, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, but it would suck with the ping for multiplayer matches. I mean, I get 400 to the other side of the world, what would I get from Mars to here?
Let alone Internet loading times *shudder*
Oh, and would my games get shipped up to me?
How much would I have to pay?

Mad Sun

Jul 15, 2011
Yes. But it would have to be contained in domes and other buildings. Mars' gravity is just too low for a think, right atmosphere like we have on Earth. Most of it would escape into space. And, because the core is inactive, there's no magnetic field to protect the surface from the Sun's harmful rays. But it'd be good practice for when we find an actual inhabitable planet. We could get mobilized to colonize sooooo much sooner. And mining. While we do have a lot on Earth, our staggering population WILL find a way to make a sizable dent in it before too long.

TL/DR: No terraforming, but a good stepping stone for greater heights.

Also, if you skipped to the TL/DR section because my statement was too long, then I REALLY don't want to live in this world anymore.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
If I could go back after a brief visit? I might. For actually colonizing it, settling down and living there possible for the rest of my life? Hell no. What are you going to do on Mars, seriously? Live in a dome on a hostile environment, with (quite likely), being required to work harder simply to get by with fewer resources.. No thanks.

Now, if it was a bit further in and it's become a fairly developed and populated place, maybe.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Yes, at the very least just to prove we can if nothing more. If we are not even willing to colonize the closest planet that we can put life on then we fail as a space fairing species. True, that world isn't exactly the most pleasant to our species, but that is part of the challenge to prove we can because it would be too simple to learn anything from if it was a lush wilderness we could simply survive in. That being said, we did sort of take our space program out back and put a bullet into it... so maybe we deserve to be stuck on this rock forevermore.

So I vote that a small, scientific, colony has to at least be tried.

Joshey Woshey

Jul 11, 2011
I think we should go about colonising the moon first if at all possible. The problem with colonising other planets would be that someone would try to claim it. Now this would inevitably cause a lot of problems.

Personally i think if there's no aliens it should be shared or at least partitioned and if there are aliens then the English should get it because we're good at starting colonies, committing genocide and stealing peoples land.

Then again my knowledge the possibilities of colonising other planets is minuscule.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Of course I would! Imagine climbing Olmypus Mons, or building cities within the canyons! It would be a whole new world, one larger than life in comparison to what Earth has.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Pierce Graham said:
I'm sure that some of you have noticed that this planet is getting a little crowded. It sure will be in less than a century. So... why haven't we even sent a human to the nearest planet, let alone thought about colonizing? Now before you start posting what an idiot I am, I know that there is no air to breathe on Mars. But neither is there air is space, yet the International Space Station is crewed 24/7. I'm certain that we could build sealed areas on Mars with oxygen. Like a dome city.
Say that it happens. TV adds, internet pop-ups and posters on the street all ask for you to go down to a recruitment center to see if you're a viable candidate to become one of Earth's first off-world colonists. Would you go? Personally, you couldn't get me on that shuttle fast enough.
PS: It's sad that I have to do this with every thread, but since trolls abound on the internet, I must: no, I'm not looking for validation, no, I'm not trying to get people to argue. So let's stay on topic, shall we?
Sure why not.

Im pretty sure they are economical reasons to go to Mars and colonize just like we do with the moon. All that precious minerals up there.

Doing nothing.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I'd prefer giant ships that harvest materials from asteroids to support a dying planet, that'd be cool. But yeah, if it was a viable way to make humanity survive then I'd be up for that. I'm sure something in my physicist education would be useful there. I can do nuclear reactors, they're handy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
A common argument against colonization seems to be, "It's boring up there, who would want to live on Mars?" 'Grins' you'd be surprised. Some people have an OVERWHELMING desire to explore. People used to volunteer to get crammed into pods so small they could barely move (I would go nuts) living on Mars would be a cakewalk by comparison. Also what some people don't seem to get is that colonizing Mars is a stepping stone to so many things.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Our world is screwed.
I will flee to mars, to escape this economy.
who knows, maybe they have internet?

anyway, I see why not. I have no life here, might as well make a living on mars.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I think that mars should be colonized, first with a small dome city type thing, and eventually with full on teraforming, but I wouldn't go myself. I like where i live now, and my favorite hobbies: hunting, fishing, hiking, ect. wouldn't be much fun on mars.