Poll: Would you emigrate to another country if gaming was banned/outlawed

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
In reality, no, I would not move, at least not in the immediate future. I'm going off to college next year at Rice University and I'm really excited about that, so I wouldn't leave the country. I'd probably still do some illicit gaming, but banning gaming alone--unless the wording "all interactive entertainment media" and thus would encompass time wasters like a lot of the Flash games out there--I wouldn't be too upset.

However, depending, I might leave the country after college but that might happen anyways.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'd stay.

Maybe start a "group of friends".

Maybe "work out" with them for a while.

Then maybe assassinate the shit out of those sick game-hating politicians.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I have grown up moving to a new country once every 3 years (on average). Now I am currently in the transition of moving again, as I am on my way to University.

I'm afraid I have to LOL at ppl who have to seriously consider "defecting" or moving away from their country to avid a law they don't like. Personally, in my 20 years of life, I have only lived in my Country of citizenship for a total of 7 years (5 of which were during my first 5 years of life).

Answer to the Question:

Would I "defect" from my country to avoid a new game-banning law?: I don't have to, I don't live there.

Would I move from the country I'm currently living in to avoid a new game-banning law?: Probably, though reluctantly.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
No, I'd stay and protest.

I'm supprised by the amount of people that would just leave immediately.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I am Irish and my last year of secondary school is next year so I would just move to Northern Ireland afterwards if for some reason gaming was banned.

May 29, 2011
TacticalAssassin1 said:
brumley53 said:
I already kind of want to leave Australia. Only problem is I don't know where I would move to...
Same here. Australia sucks. But America has way too many problems of it's own. Europe mabye?
Coming from someone who has been everywhere in europe (ok not literally, but i've lived in germany, sweden, finland and britain), any of the nordic countries but iceland (winters are annoying there) are the best places I can imagine to live in.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
I doubt Governments are ignorant enough to not foresee the absolutely massive amount of backlash they would receive by taking away such a popular liberty.

It would be like banning a Sport because it's dangerous.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Banning games would probably be just a symptom of much greater problems, so yes, I'd go.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I'd definitely leave. Regardless of whether or not gaming is that important to me, avoiding countries that'd ban an entire hobby, industry, and medium is.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
I'd stay. Because if alcohol can be legalized after fourteen years of being banned, so can video games.

Grickit

Mar 2, 2011
The word "Defect" implies some sort of military. But yes I would seek citizenship elsewhere.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
I wouldn't want to live in a country that banned any form of art/media. Its just wrong.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I would not let that happen in the first place. It's really best way to deal with majority of "political ideas"/ You hear about the plans - you create an uproar. In modern days it was already proven that it's not that hard to rally people using community portals. I'd just start protests weeks before such silly bill would even get going in the legislation process properly.

If that would fail, which is very unlikely considering political parties do not generally want to loose larger groups of voters, and legality of gaming is hardly pressing economical matter, i'd simply go guerilla gaming. I would not feel the need to move out, i'd just be even more agitated to play games to prove how absurd such idea would be.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Hell yes, I'd move. The same way I would move if they banned books or dance or film...
I'd be headed to Germany in a heartbeat.