Poll: Would you jump?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
The story goes like this:

One day you wake up a solid concrete room with no way out. All around you are people wearing dirty togas. In the middle of the room is a well. There are some people sitting on the edge of the well, dangling there feet in the water. You suddenly realize that you are dead, and that this is kind of a bus stop in the afterlife. You look down the well in the center of the room. It is filled with a slimy liquid, and stretches down into an infinity of darkness (but it opens up into a wider chamber farther down).

Suddenly, one of the people jumps down into the well. As they are falling, they are enveloped by a blue light and disappear. You also see people who have taken the plunge, but have not been enveloped by the blue light, falling forever in the darkness of the well. You realize that those who have lived a good life will be taken to eternal bliss by the blue light if they jump in the well, but those who have not lived a good life will fall forever in the darkness (again, if they jump in the well). You can stay in the room for as long as you want, but nothing will ever change unless you jump in the well.

My question to you all is this: Would you jump into the well, and risk damnation, or would you stay in the room?

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Why not? Worst case scenario is that you don't get to go wherever the light goes. So it comes down to an eternity of nothing in a room or an eternity of falling and possibly at least getting a change of scenery? May as well go skydiving forever.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Aris Khandr said:
Why not? Worst case scenario is that you don't get to go wherever the light goes. So it comes down to an eternity of nothing in a room or an eternity of falling and possibly at least getting a change of scenery? May as well go skydiving forever.
True that.

But actually the best part of skydiving is the view. You get used to the falling actually really quickly.

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
I felt kinda awkward reading that. But thanks for the thought. I clicked Yes because I believe I am a good father and loyal partner to my beloved family. Also I dont like sharing rooms with strangers...

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'd delay for awhile but I'd eventually jump in the well. I think I've lived a good life so far, so I can be reasonably sure I'm going to paradise rather than damnation.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Yup. Don't really see an alternative; staying in that room would result in permanent madness after a while, so I'll take my chances with the well.

major28

Feb 25, 2010
so my only choice is hang out at the bus stop or jump and possibly hang out in infinite free fall those sound pretty similar

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Well yeah I'd jump what use is their sitting around forever in a room with people in togas. I'd take the chance because I shrug at the idea of what the toga people do all day.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
There's no contest, I'd jump. Even if I wasn't selected, falling forever isn't that bad. It's better than staying in some room forever.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Well, jump of course.
An eternity falling will be no different from the eternity in the room; so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by jumping.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I'd probably stay in the room for a while, and eventually take the plunge after enough time. If it was a stop on the way to the afterlife, I'd assume I wouldn't have to deal with a number of bodily things, such as hunger, perhaps pain. I'd spend time trying to figure out how to get out of the damn room, and spend time chipping away at it, if there is something to chip away with. If there are others, we could keep ourselves company if we wanted.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
i would stay, make some friends with the toga people, then jump with them all at the same time, so then if i dont make it, chances are someone else wont and i will have someone to talk to whilst falling for eternity

and if they all go through but i dont, well that would just plain suck.....

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I'll jump, got nothing better to do. if i get taken by the blue then awesome, if not then i'll just play 20 questions or roleplay with the other bad people for the rest of eternity xD

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Whilst I answered yes, my reasoning being sitting around waiting for nothing is waste of time, ultimately any conclusion reached is one done from complete objectiveness- the inevitabel emotional backdrop is absent and therefore it is impossible to decide.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
...well i guess i would..meh falling forever isnt THAT bad
unless of coruse i get impaled on a spike
..or land in the cavern...then i dont know what ill do
or the blue light will take me

the rye

Jun 26, 2010
No thanks, eternal bliss isn't my scene, it would just be mindless, meaningless self indulgence.