Poll: Would you let someone you don't know die horribly to save yourself?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...In one of those "You're in a completely inescapable room with two buttons..." scenarios, in theory I'd kill the stranger, but only after exhausting every escape option and nearly dying of thirst waiting.
In a more realistic situation, I'd try like hell to save us both.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Wow. Let's assume that I've suckled from the milk of human kindness for 22 years. I believe that that makes me owe people the opportunity to not die a horrible death. If I can die to save someone else, especially quickly and painlessly, fine.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Edit: Fuck it I should probably phrase this a bit better, I don't particularly care about my own well being over the well being of others and the thought of someone else being saved by me dying is something I would gladly sacrifice myself for

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'd save myself, I don't even know who they are so science says I can't feel sympathy for them :p

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
You need a 'Maybe' in that poll. I'll explain why.

I have certain sensibilities which would probably compell me to help others out of a horrible fix IF POSSIBLE. However, there is also the John Constantine defense, which states that sometimes you just have to leg it and don't look back.

anihilato

Feb 23, 2011
Lol, nobody (at time of posting) has answered they would only do it if it was a guy. Interesting.

Yea id do it without second thought.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
(Gahfuck, accidentally voted "no". I meant "yes")

Not gonna lie - I'd like to think that I'd have that altruism in me, but I know how people act when their life is on the line, and I know I'd probably take the selfish route.

Also believe that many (not all) of the people voting "No" are full of shit, but that's just me.

Vaer

Jan 24, 2008
Yes, I'd let him die, don't get me wrong.. if I could save him and not die myself then sure, I'd risk my own health to save someone if it's within my power to do so, but if there's no chance of me surviving then it's a pretty easy "YES I'd let him die" answer.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
My life isn't really particularily valuable to anyone. I'd probably relish the chance to go out in a blaze of heroism.

So, no.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
anihilato said:
Lol, nobody (at time of posting) has answered they would only do it if it was a guy. Interesting.

I noticed that as well. I thought it would be the case but I wanted to make sure. I guess people just don't find guys as important as girls.

oh well, it's not like we can go out and protest inequality or anything like that.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
A complete stranger, no.

I'd need to know a lot about the person to be able to make that sacrifice.

anihilato

Feb 23, 2011
darthotaku said:
anihilato said:

I noticed that as well. I thought it would be the case but I wanted to make sure. I guess people just don't find guys as important as girls.

oh well, it's not like we can go out and protest inequality or anything like that.
Maybe we should go protest about the inequality of the ability to protest about inequality? We men must reclaim our rights! :D

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
darthotaku said:
theoretical situation, a complete stranger is in danger, you can chose to save them and die quick and painlessly in the manner of your chosing or abandon them to a horribly painful death.

what do you do?
edit, that was meant to be let the stranger die and save yourself.
Depends on the situation. If they are in front of me, like I personally save their life and get killed because of it, I would save them. If it's something like I'm getting the liver before they do, or something more like that, I would save myself.

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
I didn't answer. If it was a child, yes, or they were in some way being victimized, but if they were in danger and it was their own damn fault, then screw them. Gender doesn't really enter into it.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
No, not even if they're Emma Watson, Nathan Fillion and the worlds last unicorn. I would watch and say 'well that sucks'. If it's a complete stranger then I'd probably laugh at it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Jonluw said:
Besides: I don't mind dying much.
I find this statement rather odd, I mean, you've never died before, so how can you know if you'd mind? :O

OT:

Yes, in an instant.

Outside my monkeysphere, outside my caring zone

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
I'd have myself to die instead as I couldn't bear to live knowing someone else had to die horribly and I had to choose to allow it. Although if I were to be more rational, I would instead have them die if they were older, but if they were younger I would let myself die.