Poll: Would you pay a subscription fee for Call of Duty online?

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
It's no secret Activision want subscription fees for COD. The analysts think it's inevitable and the user-base is certainly there for them to give it a go.

The question is: Would you pay any sort of subscription for COD? For arguements sake, let's say that a 'reasonable' price is similar to that of an MMO. Around $13 a month.

Let's also say that an 'inexpensive price' means somewhere around $7 a month.

For arguements sake, we'll say that the COD multiplayer is expanded to include tournaments, more playlists and content updates (new perks, weapons, killstreaks, maps.)

What would you do? Would you validate this kind of business strategy, potentially giving other developers the 'ok' to do a similar thing because the price is worth the entertainment? Or would you prefer not to ecourage such a venture?

Oomii

Dec 17, 2009
I won't pay while I still have other online shooters that I can play online for free.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
God no, i don't even buy the new MP map packs let alone pay any subscription fees. I refuse to pay what is it? 1200 points for 4 maps, half of which are rehashes? The call of duty franchise needs to die, period. All the more so now IW have pretty much gone down the toilet. And as somebody above me said, i have other online shooters i can play -for free-.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
No, What perks do I get for one. Second would they get off focusing around multiplayer. I actually liked COD's single player once. That was a lllooonnnnnnnggg time ago. Okay so I get new perks, killstreaks, tournaments, maps, and more weapons.....well they have never done anything except give SOME new maps, So I don't think they would do it even know, And even if they did give you all that stuff that would just take up soooooo much of your Ps3 or xbox hard drive. No, if every one does that for their online gaming then I am saying fuck it and break all my gaming systems except my computer.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Absolutely not.

I don't like online FPS games that much, and played the CoD games predominantly for the single player. A subscription plan would not put me off buying the game per se, but I would not pay to play online.

-m

findler

Jun 19, 2009
Not likely, MMOG's are way more fun if you're going to pay for your game monthly anyway. The content just isn't there to support this move. I'm not planning on buying Black Ops even if the multiplayer is free.

DeleteMe1112311

Sep 18, 2008
Hell no. I'm not paying to play CoD online. They don't release or patch enough free stuff to warrant it, I've already paid for the game in the expectation of free multiplayer - why should I? I will never pay for it.

Incredibly Proud of the Escapist users here, 28 votes saying that we will never pay for CoD online, 100% of the vote so far.

EDIT: 39 votes no before we had a single voter say that they'd pay. I'm pretty happy with the unity here. Might send a message to the retarded chimps they call analysts at Activision.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
No. I love Call of Duty but I would never pay to play it online, there are other/better games out there to be spending my time and money on.

It angers me that the COD brand is being destroyed this way ¬_¬

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Must say I'm so far glad at the poll respone. I can only hope such feeling is mirrored throughout CODs user-base.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
The other poll options are pointless.

No one with half a brain cell would pay for this shit. That being said looking at some of the people who play MW2...

The DLC packs sold even though they're grossly overpriced. Activition know they can get away with a lot with the MW2 community, and that's exactly what they're doing.