Poll: Would you rather live in a big city or a small town?

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
We all have our own preference for living space so tell me your preference and I'll tell you mine. Personally I couldn't live in a large city I'd just be perpetually bumbed out and I'd hate the smog and having people everywhere. It'd just be a hot sweaty shithole in my opinion. I'm glad I live in a rural area. To put it charitably life in a big city long term would just be hell for me.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
There's a difference between a small town and rural area - a small town would be fine, but I think I'd find a rural area too inconvenient, and rural services in the UK are shit. I'd pass on a big city in the long term, but I'd maybe like to live in one for a year or two, just to see how it goes. Not London though, 'tis a silly place.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'd rather live in a big city, even though I'm not fond of crowds all that much. Big cities tend to have far more variety when it comes to restaurants and stores.
Plus places in a big city tend to stay open longer than those in a small city.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'd rater live in a big city, they're much more lively and there's so much more going on. I love in a town with around 165,000 people and it's boring as shit.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
Hazy992 said:
I'd rater live in a big city, they're much more lively and there's so much more going on. I love in a town with around 165,000 people and it's boring as shit.
To each his own but I personally find living in large cities would REALLY suck! I like being able to go out into the back bush and shoot cans with a BB gun. Big cities are fine to visit but living there would be depressing as fuck for me.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I've lived in both, and small town is always preferable for me.

Not that I'd want to live out in the country or anything, but my current home has about 180,000 people last estimate and it's almost perfect. Traffic's still annoyingly thick on Friday but what can you do.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I live in Reno, NV. "The Biggest Little City in the World" as it's called. And I've lived here all my life, so my view is probably slanted a bit, but anyway, I think this place is a perfect balance between the two. It's big enough that there is stuff to do, jobs to find, and new people to meet, but it's not so large that you feel like a speck, or that you have to wait two hours in traffic just to reach your job.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Space is nice, but convenience and proximity to friends, family, and employment is always the deciding factor.

Personally, I'd like to go live in a shack in the middle of nowhere. But realistically, that shack would have crappy internet, and I'd never get to see my friends or hit up KFC at eleven PM. And God help me if I want to see a movie.

So, yeah. Suburbs it is.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Madmatty said:
Hazy992 said:
To each his own but I personally find living in large cities would REALLY suck! I like being able to go out into the back bush and shoot cans with a BB gun. Big cities are fine to visit but living there would be depressing as fuck for me.
I grew up in the country all my life, and I do kind of miss being able to fuck around in a backyard, but I much prefer living in the city.I like living in a place where I can walk to the grocery store, or walk down to a pub and have a drink and a burger, even if the closest shooting range is a thirty minute drive away

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I say big city due to have easier access to the stores I liked (HMV, Waterstone or a comicstore and video game store etc) and building like a cinema.

The last place I lived was a small town. The only decent store was Woolworth and I had to get my games from this small indepedant store. I had to take the next closest city to go to the cinema and even then that cinema suck!

I'm glad the current town I lived is bigger despite being a tourist resort. I can go to HMV and Waterstone and aswell the massive toystore and Currys. Sure I have to go the next town for the cinema but at least it only take 10 minutes by train!

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Depends on the city and the town.

I would LOVE to live in a small american midwest town or an english coastal town inside a lighthouse, should I have a stable income and career.

Or a big city, providing it isn't too polluted.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Saying that I currently live in a small town right now (and for the past...nearly 4 years) would be a vast overstatement of what exactly is around me. Just under a year ago we got a Dollar General which is about a 5 minute drive from my house and aside from that, there's some fast food places about another 10 minute drive away from that...and both are in the opposite direction of an actual town with actual stores. After so much time in this kind of environment, I want nothing more than to return to a city with people, diversity, mass transit...I went to DC last week for the first time in years and felt nearly overstimulated but so happy to be in a place where I could leave the place I was staying and WALK to places.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
So...where's the option for Suburbs?

I prefer to live outside a big city but not so far as to be in a small town. Geez, where's the non-absolutist options these days?

More importantly...don't you know that when you make a poll on the Escapist you have to include an option for BACON?!?!?!? Where's the bacon option?!?!?!?

*swoons for lack of bacon*

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I've lived in a small town all my life and I quite enjoyed it.

I've traveled to big cities and while they are great and interesting places to visit from time to time, I'd certainly wouldn't want to live or raise a family there.

Just my opinion.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I live in a small town very close to a big city, and I like it that way just fine.

Not to mention, I could never afford to live in the city. I can barely afford to live in the town.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
What is a small town or a big city?

The largest city in Norway has only 500K inhabitants, and the second largest only 250K.
I'm not sure if I could live in a "big city" even if I wanted to whitout leaving for another country.

That being said, I prefer living in a rural area not too far from "civilization".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
A big city. NYC or London more specifically. I wouldn't want to live in LA.

I want to live in a place with diversity and creativity.