Poll: Would You still Early Access / Pre-Order a game today?

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
So a friend of mine got to talking about this last night, when I was showing him a trailer of Medieval Engineer as tempting game to try at some point. While both of us agree that it may be fun, neither of us are willing to purchase the Alpha version of the game.

A big part of this comes from the utter flop that we've seen Early Access becoming on Steam and Alpha releases in general. Some background, both of us play Space Engineers on and off every couple months it seems. We'll generally play for a week or two before we complete everything we want and get bored again. Neither of us make mods, or use mods in our games.

One of his big comments was that the company has been working on Space Engineers for about a year and a half (with Early Access, around two year in total) and the game still shows no signs of being done in early access. To this I countered that a game like Minecraft, which we also have invested countless hours into was in Alpha for an extremely long time.

Anyways, what it ended up boiling down to was a lack in confidence for development studios to finish their games. With stunts like Double Fine's Spacebase DF9 and 22cans' Godus, there have been many studios now either giving up on their games before they are done, or simply under delivering on expected features. I should point out that the development team behind Space Engineers still works on it, and have a new update for it every couple weeks it seems, which is great.

Anyways, so as the subject asks, what are people opinions on Early Access for any games? Will you chance it, have you given up hope and will always wait for full release?

Personally it comes down to the developers for me, there are some I trust to make a game still, (Bethesda, Firaxis, etc) and some that have lost that trust (Creative Assembly, Maxis, etc). Those I trust I'll still do an early access, or a pre-order with (which is more often the case for the AAA companies) those I don't I find myself waiting for the reviews, or heck for the Steam specials before I even look at the games.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I can tell if I'll like a game or not due to having very specific tastes so if something that fits the bill comes around I'll preorder it. Early access is pointless though. I wanna play the full game. I can wait. I have a huge backlog as is.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Depends if they can prove themselves.

I bought Darkest Dungeon early access and I've yet to regret it.

nesbitto

Nov 25, 2013
Straight up no.

I'm not paying to help you fix your game. That's what betas are for. UNPAID BETAS. Why are gamers willing to put up with purchasing unfinished products? If you're happy spending X amount of money on Y amount of game, fair enough, but spending X amount of money on Y amount of game hoping that it multiples into 2Y games is a gamblers fallacy.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
No, I refuse to pay for the privilege of beta testing a broken game (especially infuriating when it's from a big enough company that should be able to get by without such practice). And no more Kickstarter either. I mean, sure, most of those I backed ended up being made (and they're good, too!), but I'm not taking any chances anymore.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
In the age of digital downloads, what is the point in pre-ordering?. When I was a kid it was kind of important as some games would sell out in minutes or hours. But now it's very rare not to be able to find a game. But then I play PC games mostly, not sure about consoles.

I've never paid for early access before, the horror stories put me off that and particularly the risk of funding a game that might stay unfinished forever.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
KarmaTheAlligator said:
No, I refuse to pay for the privilege of beta testing a broken game (especially infuriating when it's from a big enough company that should be able to get by without such practice). And no more Kickstarter either. I mean, sure, most of those I backed ended up being made (and they're good, too!), but I'm not taking any chances anymore.
I actually thought about adding Kickstarter games into the mix as well (they are, but I didn't single them out specifically) The reason being games like Star Citizen... it has made just shy of $74 Million according to their site as I type this. That is a HUGE amount of money, it is what some games won't even make after they are released. My question becomes, what will they do for income when they do actually release the game? everyone who wanted the game, probably has it save for those who won't do beta/alphas.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Demagogue said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I actually thought about adding Kickstarter games into the mix as well (they are, but I didn't single them out specifically) The reason being games like Star Citizen... it has made just shy of $74 Million according to their site as I type this. That is a HUGE amount of money, it is what some games won't even make after they are released. My question becomes, what will they do for income when they do actually release the game? everyone who wanted the game, probably has it save for those who won't do beta/alphas.
In that kind of situation, they already have the money from sales (same as early access, but unlike early access, there usually isn't even an alpha or beta build, just a concept), so it's up to them to manage that money to not only finish that specific game, but make another one as well (unless they do another kickstarter, but after the first one gets that much money, you'd have to be a huge hypocrite to even think about it) and from there make money the normal way, by selling stuff. At least, that's how I see it.

Javetts Eall Raksha

May 28, 2014
depends on the genres. I can never quench my thirst for rpgs. old school mostly. though some rough-like games have been rpgish enough at times.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Outside of 100% safe bets? No. But I suppose safe bet would qualify as "depends on the developer".

Atlus rarely disappoints. I might not love all their games, but it's obvious a lot of care and effort goes into making them. SNK often disappoints (Or rather, the dimwits they hire to port games), but I love their games anyway. Arc System Works, I buy their games when they bother releasing complete editions (I just don't like DLC - Especially not on consoles). SEGA usually puts out decent stuff, except for the Sonic games.

I still try my best to not hand over any money before I know if the product is good or not. But I generally have a good idea of what I will like, something I've learnt over years of trial and error. I've pre-ordered some garbage, I know what crushing disappointment feels like.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
I have to say I'm not sure. Any AAA-title would be a no-go, because I don't like those games enough to bother buying them, even on sale.

Lately however, I've come across a bit of a conundrum. I'm not one to go for games that aren't completed yet, beta, early access or whatever, but a game popped up on my radar, thanks to an AGDQ speed run (I've been watching a lot of those lately), called A Hat in Time. It's about to be released in beta, and I'm so intrigued by the style that I want to buy into the upcoming beta release. It reminds me of the Wind Waker-style, and I loved that style so much!

Seriously, if you like the cel-shaded cartoony style and platformer gameplay, check out this game, it looks totally rad! (If this sounded a whole lot like advertisement for the game, I must apologise if that's the case. Do check out the game, though, it's indie made and apparently quite a feat for such a small developer).

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Yep. Any other answer and I'd just be kidding myself.

I'm definitely more wary of early-access, but I'll still snap on it if it is cheap enough. Or, y'know. I just WANT the game. I am not a patient man.

I also pre-order stuff all the time. I'm not above a day 1 purchase. Perhaps I'd be more shy of it if I got burned more often, but the only game I recently felt burned by was SimCity, and I played it heavily when it was in beta/demo form, so I made an informed decision. They just did a good job of hiding the cracks in the foundation.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Dreiko said:
I can tell if I'll like a game or not due to having very specific tastes so if something that fits the bill comes around I'll preorder it. Early access is pointless though. I wanna play the full game. I can wait. I have a huge backlog as is.
That sounds a bit like a contradiction - why would you preorder a game, despite your backlog, but not get an Early Access game? Makes no real sense to me - surely, preordering is as pointless, if not more. I mean, I don't preorder, because I've got a big backlog myself and I see very little reason to, even if I didn't.

I have, however, bought Early Access games. It seems less pointless to me, assuming I actually want to play them right now. Crypt of the NecroDancer is lovely, for example and I've played it every day for the past couple of weeks. Even though I initially got it for the soundtrack, which rocks. I also just got Darkest Dungeon, as I intend on playing it today. On the other hand, titles like War for the Overworld or Nekro I haven't bought yet.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Nope, never going to do it.

Well, I guess you could argue that I've done it once because MechWarrior Online was the equivalent of "early access" when I paid $60 for the founders program open beta. It took about 2-3 years for Community Warfare to release, which is what I was most excited about, and that game mode is still actually a beta. And its not really as much fun as I was hoping.

I don't even preorder finished games anymore. It doesn't matter what tier of game we're talking about, how big or small the developers are, we've seen enough examples of broken or disappointing games in the last few years where my trust level is zero. Release your game, I'll read the reviews, I'll read the forum comments, I'll watch some videos on youtube, and if it looks like a good game, that's the time I will spend my money.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
To me it still depends on if the game already has what I want from it and if it has that for the price I am willing to pay it for. It what I want is still a promise then fuck no.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I've never been desperate enough for any game to buy it in anything less than an "officially released" state.

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
It really does depend on the game. I don't think I'd ever buy an early-access AAA game. Since they should have the resources to get some quality QA. (Even though they never seem to do so.) It's the indie guys that don't have the resources for some QAs.

In that case, I just try to get a feel for the developers to see whether they'll stick to their project. I've yet to be wrong in my estimate. Same thing with kickstarter.

Find out how much work they've already done, how quick they do their job and how much experience they have with gamemaking.

Sep 14, 2009
erttheking said:
Depends if they can prove themselves.

I bought Darkest Dungeon early access and I've yet to regret it.
pretty much this.

kerbal space program is leaps and bounds ahead of half the trash AAA games that are released these days, and it's still in early access, it's definite proof that I'll check out a game regardless of if it is "done" or in "early access".

I might not get it right away, I'll have to wait until a certain point in development before I'll sink "X" amount of cash into it.