Poll: would you still game when you get OLD?

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
I have no intention of buying more consoles and as steam gets more accessible that makes me even more set in that opinion. I'm not going to have the time or the space in my house to keep buying and keeping all this plastic crap. Digital downloads and a kick-ass gaming laptop for the win.

That's how i'll live out my gaming life, not sure how much longer i'll even keep that up tbh.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
I get the feeling that when most people get old they tend to Wii uncontrollably... [small]hyuk hyuk hyuk[/small]
Har har har...

Seriously though, I probably will. It's a hobby I intend to keep up with.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Unless I develop terrible carpel tunnel syndrome that prevents me from playing, I don't see why not. I'm an adult now and I love playing games, I don't see my interests changing that drastically in the future, unless games evolve in to some completely different pile of crap... which is entirely possible.

Mar 30, 2010
pezwitch said:
I am closer to 60 years old than I am 30 years old and given that I have not stopped gaming since I was 12, then yes, I will still be gaming in my 60s.

Grouchy Imp said:
I get the feeling that when most people get old they tend to Wii uncontrollably... [small]hyuk hyuk hyuk[/small]

On a slightly more serious note, I doubt it. If I do in retirement what I've spent my earlier years doing, I've failed at retirement.
If you were a reader would your retirement be a failure if you still enjoyed reading?

Why would your hobby change in retirement?
Two reasons I can think of immediately are:

1) I use gaming as a form of stress relief after I get home from work. When I am no longer working I will not need this release (I would hope!).
2) I do not currently have time to pursue some of my interests and hobbies as much as I would like, or at all. I would hope that I could 'dust off' these shelved hobbies when I have more time available to me.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Lucifron said:
GundamSentinel said:
Maybe when I get old they've taken some real steps developing games for elderly. Who knows?
You do realize that you'll probably enjoy the same games when you're 60 that you do right at this moment, right? Our current elderly population never grew up with games, so why, given how conservative older people tend to become, should they like them at all?
When I'm 60, sure I'll keep playing Fallout and Half-Life. But when I'm 80, I won't be able to show CoD noobs all the corners of the map anymore. As we get older, the whole current gaming community gets older and want something more elderly-friendly or just more mature. Apart from introducing the Wii in old folk's homes the industry doesn't care about the elderly gamer now, but in 50 years, who knows?

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
I'm slowing down gaming now (12-13 yrs btw) for lack of stuff for me to really get into. I really have'nt found anything good since fallout: new vegas so i hope DA2 will fill the void.

dolgion

Nov 20, 2010
Hell, even these days I see myself struggling to actually get into modern games. Once games fulfill their potential then yeah, I'll totally be playing till I die. It won't be "gaming" so much as it is enjoying interactive entertainment I believe

Rubymuto

Jan 12, 2010
When im old and senile ill either actually be playing or think I am. Even if its not videogames there will be boardgames and card games and table top games. I've been gaming since i was old enough to hold the controller, i cant imagine my life without some form of game or another.