Poll: Would you stop tipping if they made minimum wage?

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
There's a current trend I've seen where all the tips are collected and evenly given out to all the servers- regardless of service. So in my area, tipping is more akin to payment for services rendered rather than gratuity. I mean, what?

Which begs the question- why not just raise the prices and get rid of the tipping system?

Servers really should be receive the same amount of pay that any other worker among that pay-scale receives. Tips should really be added on top of that for good service, but not required to supplement the server's base pay.

Why is this better than the current system? The current system creates an awkward dilemma when you receive poor service. You don't really want to give that person any money for doing a horrible job, but they don't make minimum wage because they're supposed to be getting tips.

That might be the point though. Tipping out of obligation.

Dularn

Nov 7, 2006
In Australia you don't see tipping very often.

It does happen, if you receive exceptional service for example you might tip but it is not really expected of you to do so and is not the norm.

The form of tipping I see most often in Australian restaurants is putting a few dollars into the 'staff party fund' jar that a lot of restaurants have at the counter.

The reason is that here you are guarenteed a minimun wage of (of the top of my head) about $15.50 per hour for adults. Most places offer much more than this so the average waiter/waitress probably gets more like $20+ an hour.

Our minimun wage is reviewed constantly, it has steadily gone up every year for the past few years.

So I guess the poll is not really applicable to me...

Why does the US have such archaic minimun wage laws? How is it a minimun wage if an employer can pay less than the specified amount and why is the minimun wage so low?

As a result of our higher wages things do cost a bit more here and we are taxed more but the benefits far outway the cons imo.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
krazykidd said:
No . But then again i personally don't understand why we tip waiters to begin with and why they don't make minimum wage . I mean , give extra money to a person that a) just takes an order and brings food and b) is doing thier job . Here is some extra money for doing what you are supposed to do . I will admit i am ignorant on this subject.
Prepare for tons of ignorant comments about how you don't respect the people who bring you your food.

The minimum wage thing in the US is stupid, by supporting it all you do is increase the price you pay at restaurants and the only people who benefit are the higher ups in the business.
You actually have that backwards- The higher ups don't benefit at all because they have to deal with increased costs, decreased profits and layoffs. Minimum wage laws are only good for increasing the purchasing power of the workers who keep their jobs.

ReverendJ

Mar 18, 2009
Waitstaff are essentially your slaves. The guy at McDonald's, he deals with you for maybe a minute, but every little damn thing a customer wants is a waiter's responsibility...sometimes for hours on end. More water? Let me run over to the other side of the restaurant and bring that over to you so you're not inconvenienced by having to stand up. Oh, you're having a bad day? Well, feel free to act like a prick to me; it's my job to sit there and smile at you, followed by extensive ass-kissing. Made a mistake in ordering, and now you want something else? Sure, let me get rid of this and I'll bring your new choice right out. Oh, you're going to act like it was my fault? Go right ahead! Food taking too long? Well, even though we're at peak capacity and that's technically the kitchen's deal, I'll go ahead and take your abuse on the matter.

The tip system provides incentive for waitstaff to put up with this BS. It keeps us smiling at you when you're acting like a jerk. (Low blood sugar, for the record, is no excuse for treating strangers poorly, especially when they're there to do things for you.) Yes, I'd keep tipping; most customer service jobs aren't nearly as intensive when it comes to making sure the patron is not only happy, but freaking ecstatic. Additionally, there isn't a lot of room for advancement in restaurants. The only way to that raise you probably deserve for working your ass off is to get better tips by providing better service. And when you're bent over backwards for someone and they stiff you, well, suck it up, thems the breaks.

Can you tell I've been waitstaff for damn near a decade?

EDIT: That said, I'm seeing some horror stories here about shit service received, to which my reply is: Tip low. Don't stiff- they may assume you forgot. A quarter or nickel tells them you were displeased, and hopefully they'll get the message and try to do better in the future. It swings both ways, only tip if they did their damn job right, don't feel obligated to tip rude or incompetent servers. And with THAT said, try not to blame the server for the food- that's the kitchen, and while waiters can affect the quality (by leaving food sitting too long before delivery, for example), it's usually the kitchen.

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
jklinders said:
Michael Logan said:
In sweden the tip is already included in the price, so no need to tip here!
I do not approve. Enforced tipping is the same as saying "you will enjoy your meal and service" before you are even seated. It should be performance based. Good wait staff get more tips. Good workers in other fields get higher wages. In Sweden the good and the bad get paid the same? No thanks.
Im not a fan of it either to be honest, to make it worse alot of people dont even know about it so they tip even more on top of the "enforced" tip.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
krazykidd said:
No . But then again i personally don't understand why we tip waiters to begin with and why they don't make minimum wage . I mean , give extra money to a person that a) just takes an order and brings food and b) is doing thier job . Here is some extra money for doing what you are supposed to do . I will admit i am ignorant on this subject.
You are pretty ignorant on the subject, but at least you admit it.

They make their paycheck in tips. For example, I make about $10 an hour at a regular job. A waiter makes about $2 an hour (which is pretty much always given back on tax day). If you don't tip, they essentially served you for free.

EDIT:

Dragonclaw said:
at fancier places like the one my sister works at she makes $19.65 an hour, full time with benefits...and they still want a tip on top of that. She told me once that if she has 7-8 tables in an hour and they "only" tip 15% she makes nearly $95 an hour on average.
Um... Yeah I call bullshit. I worked at a country club on the east coast of the US in a VERY VERY rich area and made about $3 dollars an hour. I've actually had more waiting jobs than any other sort of job (maybe about 10 different places... all suburban, rich areas) and I have NEVER seen a place go over $8 for the wait staff. It is possible your sister has found the only waiting job in the United States that pays it's waiters more than $30,000 dollars a year PLUS benefits PLUS tips.

Are you SURE she's not a manager or something?

At the very least you have to realize that is an INSANE outlier.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Jonluw said:
Hahaha!

People earn livable wages over here, and we have a working social security system, so there's no need to tip.
Time for me to put on my NASCAR hat and go into full retard sarcasm mode.

/Retard mode engaged

Oh yeah?! Well, at least here in America we're free and we don't have to pay 90% tax rates! And Greece! Yeah, look how well your euro-communism works! Climate change is bullshit lies! Like evolution (which is just a theory!).

Also, America has the best healthcare in the world!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
This is slightly off topic but here goes to all you Americans who tip.

It's all done off % so what if you go to a top star place, buy 5 courses of the most expensive food and wash it down with the most expensive booze ... why do you pay more in tips than in fat Joe's truck stop where you have the cheapest food wash down with a free water?

Do the staff high class place worker harder? Why is what food you buy a meter on how much you should tip the person who brought it to you?

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Nah i wouldnt stop tipping if they did a good job they deserve a little extra for themselves no matter what their price bracket.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I consider myself a generous tipper, simply because these are hard times, and while I'm not well off by any means, I'm better than some. So I try to help when I can.

That being said, if all waiters/waitresses made minimum wage, I think I'd probably stop tipping for bad service. If the service is bad, I won't leave a great tip, but I'll still leave something. I'd still tip (and tip well) if the service was excellent though.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
I don't really get tipping, I don't particularly like the culture of it. It's complete bullshit that restaurants place the responsibility of a waiters salary on the customers. Have some decency and pay them fairly to begin with. On the rare occasions that I do eat at a place where tipping is the norm, I do tip a little if the service was good enough. I don't know if this is the case anywhere else, but I've heard of establishments that put the tip ON the bill, so you HAVE to pay it (probably goes straight to the owner). They probably expect a regular tip as well.

Basically, fuck it. Give good service and I might come back or send others your way, I shouldn't need to cover your staff expenses, adjust your prices accordingly instead.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Just because it's "Their job" doesn't mean they have to do it well. Tipping is a sign of respect, and an acknowledgement that the person went out of their way to make sure you had a good time. All a waiter HAS to do is take your order and get your food. Everything else is pure service, and worthy of recognition.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
In order to stop tipping, I would have to first start. And I've never tipped in my entire life. Even if I was rich, I probably still wouldn't, though. Isn't the original bill my way of paying for the meal or whatever?

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
I don't tip.

Granted we have a minimum wage in the UK but still .... they carried my food from the kitchen to my table, how the fuck is that worth a tip *well done, you can put one foot infront of the other while carrying a plate ... who's a special little one, here have some money for a lolly".
You must be a real charmer on a dinner date ;)

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Making the customers pay your employees wages is insane and it's bizarre that it's socially accepted in the US.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I wouldn't, because most the time I don't even remember that they get paid less. If they are a good server, I tip them well. I tip less if they are bad at it (like the guy who never refilled our drinks, and took 20 minutes to even get the drinks when there were maybe 3 tables).

I get bonuses at work, and that is basically extra money for showing up and doing my job. Hell, in 2011 they bought us all iPads. Not to mention my extreme hatred of greed, so other than what I need to survive, money is overrated to me.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I only tip people who do things I cant do.

I tip my barber, I tip my cab driver (I cant drive), and I only tip in restaurants if there is a tip jar (so I know some of that money is going to the cook).

I do not tip waiters. Bringing food over isn't a special talent. If I had to I could get the food myself.

Plus, waiters make minimum wage or more in the UK anyway.