Poll: Would you take a one way trip to mars?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Nnnnnooo... gotta go with no. I'm not the guy who's trying to be the first to do something nor am I the guy who cares if his name is in the history books someday. So I'm definitely not the guy who would elect to die just so his name would be mentioned in a few news articles and university classrooms. I'll salute the men and women who do elect to go on this mission but I would rather not join them.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Not quite, you'd not be carrying as much weight on your return voyage. On the other hand, you have to move the weight of all the fuel you are saving for the return voyage all the way out to Mars, for example.

And, that only applies to direct flight, not mucking about with partial orbits of things.

Otherwise, yeah, more or less.
This is true. I should've actually looked up the delta-v rocket equation, but I got lazy. But yes, I kinda (unintentionally, I should add) left the requirement of taking that much mass in fuel on the initial voyage implicit. And yeah, I don't really know how to do much more complicated than the direct flight, not without trying to solve PDEs, which I avoid like the plague.

EDIT: Though I suppose there's the possibility of acquiring fuel on Mars, but that's going to require some pretty significant equipment of its own regardless, not the kind of thing you'd consider unless you were going for some pretty serious colonisation.

iseeyouthere

Jan 21, 2010
Hmmm... No.
I don't see any positives of going there to die.

Humanity will get there one day. No need to rush straight away.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TimeLord said:
Only if I had Wi-fi access to the Escapist on the way there...
Bingo.

OT: No, I have way too much I love here on Earth, like oxygen and the people I love.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
i would, but because it would be a nice way to go.

slowy watching death aproach coming to terms with your own mortality beyond the interferance of humanities collective cultural consciousness would be nice.

The silent contemplative end, kinda romantic.

and it would be a breathtaking for it to end alone on mars with just your thoughts and an emtpy red planet.

for glory not so much, i couldn't care if no one knew i had left.

actually it would be an alright survival horror setting.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Yeah, if being the first person to Mars is the best thing I would ever accomplish I think I should quit while I'm ahead, get put down in history you know.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
A one way trip would only be worth it if life on Earth was so bad that I had nothing worth to live for on this planet or that I was very close to dying anyway. I doubt anyone that is trained well enough to fly a spacecraft feels that way.

Anyway realistically NASA would never send a human being to Mars or any other location if they couldn't get their astronauts back safely. Space travel has never worked that way and if we have any semblance of morality we should try our best to avoid stranding people in space. No one should ever give a mission to Mars a green light unless we can get those astronauts back to Earth, they would give them plenty of fuel for just that purpose.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Kind of on topic, does anyone know how the development of the Solar Mast is going? Or whether it was just a theoretical piece of equipment.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I'd go to mars, no doubt.

And I'm just saying that to troll your mother. Tell her the internets said "hi".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That_Sneaky_Camper said:
Anyway realistically NASA would never send a human being to Mars or any other location if they couldn't get their astronauts back safely. Space travel has never worked that way and if we have any semblance of morality we should try our best to avoid stranding people in space. No one should ever give a mission to Mars a green light unless we can get those astronauts back to Earth, they would give them plenty of fuel for just that purpose.
Not exactly...in the days of the Cold War space race, both sides were willing to take risks if it meant beating the other.

Nowdays, of course, that sort of thing would be unacceptable.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
is there an internet connection and food?
if so then hell yes! I'll declare myself king and declare 1,000,000 marsiadollars for entry to my planet also I'll change its name to Awesome cuz who wouldn't want to go to planet Awesome

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Ignoring all the jokes about the lack of internet, do you really think that many people are that selfless? Sacrificing their life to walk somewhere? I have a hefty amount of faith in humanity, but that... that's far too much. Even for me.

I sure as shit wouldn't. I'd love to step foot on another planet, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life with only a few people on a barren planet. I have too much here, and me stepping on Mars wouldn't do anything to help us as a whole.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Let's put things into perspective here.You can either be like Gagarin,or like Laika.One goes into space and dies there and provides the world an easy "lost dog" poster joke,the other goes into space and returns a cosmic badass.
Who the hell wants to be a footnote in history books as the first lab rat to go to Mars?

I'd go if I was offered shuttle tickets back home to go along,even if there was some risk involved,but 100% chance of death? No scientific purpose?
No thanks,I don't want to die just to win a dick waving competition.

Thk13421

Nov 22, 2009
Well, presumably I'd be going with a team, and we'd probably be laying the ground-work for future missions, and eventually a colony, so there's probably be enough work to do to keep from getting bored.

Yeah, I'd probably die up there, but honestly, getting the first human being to ever set foot on another planet? That's big. HUGE. The sort of stuff that divides "before" and "after" on calenders. Everything before would be antiquity, and everything after, a bright and limitless future.

Plus, there's always single player games. Just Sayin'.

biggles1

Sep 1, 2009
No-one except for maybe china would consider sending a person on a one-way trip to mars. This is where the mars direct idea comes from, with sending 2 spaceships, one filled with fuel for the second one with people in it to use for the return journey.