Poll: Would you time-travel and kill Hitler?

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
As much as I would like to, I'd probably take the offer, go back in time, kick him in the nuts, and then get snapped back without killing him. Doesn't change the time line (in theory), and still very, very satisfying.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
If I went back and killed Hitler, that would mean he was already dead and so I wouldn't have to go back in time to kill him after the event. But if I didn't go back in time, then he wouldn't have been killed, so I'd have to go back in time to kill him.

So, Pepsi.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Depends. Whose policy would have taken hold instead?
Perhaps the holocaust would have been prevented, but war was inevitable. The Germans were (wrongly) blamed for EVERYTHING in WW1 (it's definitely a case of "everyone did it", though especially the Habsburg Monarchy, who was allies with Germany, not actually a part of Germany!) and I seriously doubt they would have let that slide with or without Hitler.

Even if they hadn't gone to war with half of Europe then, I suspect war was inevitably coming to Germany in the form of Red Russia, under the leadership of Stalin (Russian expansion would not be checked for long. Hell, WW1 was started in part due to pressures from England and France on the Habsburg Monarchy, asking the Monarchy to annex destabilized territories just so Russia wouldn't gain direct access to the Mediterranean! There were genuine reasons to fear Russia even before WW2 broke out).

BOBdotEXE

Nov 17, 2009
sorry, but No, time travelz tricky business, BE VERY CAREFUL, where you do it, Las time my friend got his leg stuck in a tree, because we forgot to take into account plant growth, and erosion. this was quite difficult to explain to his parents...
Plus stupid paradoxes, can get very annoying...

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No. Changing history screws everything up (butterfly effect, yo) and I personally don't think you can alter time that way anyways.

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
They were filled with feelings for revenge towards WWI. It would have happened anyway.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Stormpigeon said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Probably not. War is a terrible thing, but it also stimulates technological progress. Who knows, if WW2 had never happened, our technology may be something on par with the 50-70's.
That has got to be the single worst reason ever to allow a war and genocide to happen.
No, the single worst reason would be "because I hate Jews". Duh.

BOBdotEXE

Nov 17, 2009
....one good thing about time travel;
when you accidently become your own grandfather, you get to ground your parents!!!

...wait, your parents, would no longer be your parents...

..you would never have been born...

...so, if you were never born; you could have never time traveled...

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
LightspeedJack said:
I can't believe I'm the first person to say yes! As Stoic raptor states, the war would probably still happen, however I couldn't live with the guilt of knowing that I could have stopped the slaughter of all those innocent Jews and would probably take the oppertunity regardless of the consequences.

However an interesting point; if there was no war it would be likely that I would never be born.

Do you really think that Hitler was the only guy who wanted to murder them all?
Just saying.
But no I wouldn't want to kill him.
But I would love to kill some spiders and see what happens.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
No.

I'd time travel and advise him to put those plans of invading the soviets on hold for a while because the allies are going to be difficult to handle once they make their move. :p

Would be fun to see what the world would be like if he got that kind of intel.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
You can never learn to soon from science-fiction media that you should never ever screw with time.

Simply to many unknowns.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
You can't sweep up all the mistakes that humanity makes. All you can hope for is to not repeat them, and learn from the suffering of others. (Someone famous must have said that at one point... Damned memory!)
Even when equipped with a time-traveling device.

I myself didn't live when the war was made, so I have little knowledge of what ramifications applied in that time and era, ergo I never experienced it.
Still, I would serve as a really, really poor agent of time-traveling assassin. Someone else should probably take the job... Like Bond, for instance!

Nuada_Redd

Jan 11, 2011
Fuck no. Have you played singularity???!? 0_0 (though admittidly some of the surprises could be predicited, amazing game all the same.)

I also agree with Pips on this.

Ocoton

Sep 25, 2010
No. I couldn't, anyway. If I Kill Hitler, he never existed so I don't know to go back and kill him, and so begins the skullfuckery of a paradox.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Have you even seen Back to the Future? Fucking with the space-time continuum is a really bad idea.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
As appealing as the idea seems, I would not because who knows what that would alter in the time line. For all we know, it could make things worse.

Actually, Red Alert explores the idea of a time line where Hitler was killed before WWII started. I would rather avoid those scenarios, even if it meant J. K. Simmons being President one day.

DPutna17

Nov 18, 2009
I wouldn't. What was learned from WWII and the Holocaust was valuable even if we learned it the hard way. If it had never happened the world might be very different today.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
It wouldn't work; and the question doesn't make sense. If I time traveled and killed Hitler, then why did I time travel in the first place?

jspheonix

Mar 10, 2010
But humanity had to learn from that horror. Can you imagine any western country going down that path again? you take that lesson away and who knows where we would be? Better off in the short run, but long term? No-one can be sure and no-one has that right, we can only change the future