Poll: Would you time-travel and kill Hitler?

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Time traveling to kill hitler to prevent world war 2 is bad idea. Temporal causality and The Doctor have shown us messing with the timelines is bad. (see Rose's Dad)

The only quasi-acceptable non-paradox inducing method is to Time Travel to near the end of the war, into his bunker and kill him at the exact time he suicided, then time travel out. However as my knowledge of forensic methods of the 1940's is non existant, wether this would be believed to be suicide or not is a varaible we cannot risk.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Y'know, I'd accept a kick to the balls in exchange for an interesting photo op, and the firsthand answering of a few unanswered questions. (No, I wouldn't kill the douchebag, too much risk.)

ENKC

May 3, 2010
No. Because there will always be bad people doing bad things. Throwing off the entire course of history would have unfathomable consequences.

PhoenixBlade

Jan 2, 2010
Nope.
Paradoxes are tricky things plus humanity seems to preform best when at war look at the technological jump from pre WW2 to post WW2.
Without Hitler the world would be a total different place and who's to say its a better one than this.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
The past is done.

And if you somehow feel obligated to prevent the mass-slaughter of innocent people that have already been dead for decades, you might want to consider that you'd also have to go back and stop the crusades, the witch hunts, etc., etc., and you might return to a world that would be screwed up in ways beyond what you can imagine.

Better to work in the present, for a better future.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I think I've got a pretty decent idea about what WW2 and it's aftermath did to the world, and I also have a decent understanding how the western world was doing before WW2. So I dare to say that I think overall it had a negative impact on the world.
But if I was given the choice I would time-travel to where it all began, which is just before WW1 and kill everybody in charge of Great-Britain, France and Germany. (Russia is not needed their leaders got killed by their own). On the other hand WW1 and WW2 made Europe realize that war is bad. We take this understanding for granted, but I'm not quiet sure we would have it without the world wars.

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
It's kind of a silly poll. In my case, I'm Jewish and live in Israel, so if I killed Hitler I sort of would never ever been born, soooo I'm gonna skip.

Me aside, I probably would do it though. Millions of lives and no Israel, sounds legit.

B2kCyclops

Apr 28, 2010
No, because Hitler kept Stalin at bay, who was an even worse genocidal asshole.
I mean, if I could kill both and some more leaders of the early 1900's I would without hesitation.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
To all the people who said no. Most of you based your ideas on the fact that we can not know how the world would be like if not for WW2. But is that argument really valid? Of course you're right we don't know what the world would be like, it might be a lot worse. However you forget the possibility that it also might be a lot better.
Chancing history would be a big gamble, and would involve a lot of risk. But people died in WW2, and a lot of them at that! Are you guys really saying you would let millions and millions of people die, just because you don't want to bare the responsibility that you might have changed the fate of the world in a bad way? For me that's on the same plane as not saving a child because he can grow up to be a mass-murderer.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Don't know if anyone posted it yet, but I'll go ahead anyway.

It's as simple as that, people. :p

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Leemaster777 said:
Lets say you were offered the chance to time travel, only once, and only to the beginning of World War 2, to kill Hitler.
As we all know, removing Hitler from the time-line results in a never-ending time shifting war with the soviet union.

I refer you to this documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABDm2JcnTPs

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
No. I'm happy with how the world looks today and I'm sure it would look very different if it wasn't for Adolf.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Probably not. War is a terrible thing, but it also stimulates technological progress. Who knows, if WW2 had never happened, our technology may be something on par with the 50-70's.
"So no escapist?"
"Should have chose no" :/

TundraStalax

Jun 8, 2010
Hitler was only a figurehead, playing Fallout:new vegas taught me that killing the Leader of a group doesn't necessarily disband the group, even if said group is named after the leader... *cough*Caesar*cough*...*Iexplodedhishead*cough**cough*

oh, sorry, I've had this terrible cough lately...