Poll: Would you try heroin if it were legal?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah no.

I don't care if it suddenly became legal, I'm not touching the stuff. I've heard enough horror stories about that drug to make me think you have to be crazy to do the stuff.

DoubleTime

Apr 23, 2010
Fuck no! I've seen MRIs of what ONE time will do to your brain. It permanently rewires your neural circuits and the last thing I'd want is to be addicted to some ridiculously destructive drug like heroin.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Heroin takes its place on a very, very short list of drugs that are highly dangerous and destructive, and I would never touch it, use it, or knowingly associate with those that do regardless of its legal status.

No legal status of anything has prevented me from flirting with it should I find it interesting. But common sense certainly has.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Assuming it had never been illegal and that it hadn't gotten the associated "trashy" stigma attached, which would have possibly reduced the level to which my parents discouraged any involvement with drugs or people who take them: Maybe.

If everything was the same but tomorrow they legalised it: No.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
dagens24 said:
The question says it all. Well, would you?
I was working at a restuarant a few years back and a lady came in with half a head of hair and a crappy-looking coat. As she waited in line, she would quitely talk to herself and have one-sided conversations with the people around her. When she took a seat at one of the tables, she constantly tried to talk to people at other tables and was asking for food. She soon left after only ordering a coke, but she returned again and again for a couple nights in a row. One of the cooks saw her outside and tried to engage in some small talk, and he learned that she was a patient of the now-closed mental hospital (budget cuts, all that jazz). Anyways, she said that she was addicted to heroine and Methamphetamines, and she started back in the 90's, and was on and off of them since. So, she was diagnosed with Acute Schizophrenia and demensia.

SO, i guess what i'm trying to say is, no, i'd never try them.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
No. I've already got an addictive personality, I don't need that addictive a substance in my life. Especially one that fucks you up as bad as it can.

This is coming from someone who smokes a lot of pot. Legalization isn't an issue for me, if I wanted some heroin I wouldn't worry about the criminality of it.

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
No way. The illegality is the only thing keeping me from smoking marijuana, but heroin is too dangerous.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
SovietX said:
ultimateownage said:
SovietX said:
I have no desire to try any drug, regardless of whether or not it is legal.
Ever drank coffee? Tea? Coca Cola? How about had a prescription from the doctors? Ignoring the obvious ones, most medicines you apply to a part of your body (such as a remedy for a blocked nose or hay fever) will include Steroids.

Why do you have no desire to use a drug? The definition of a drug is a substance that alters the human body in some way when taken. I guarantee you have probably had a drug in your system at least once a week. Hell, your body produces it's own drugs. If we take those into account then you're on a drug at least once a day, or whenever you're excited, sad, or injured.
That's a bit nit-picky. Considering the topic at hand, I believe it's quite obvious what I meant when I said 'no desire to try any drug' I was referring to the hallucinogenic and recreational drugs (Marijuana, Cocaine, Acid etc)
You never know. I know a lot of people who seem to consider drugs to only be the recreational ones, or other ones with a bad reputation. They never consider what they use every day to be the same things.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
No, I would never try it regardless of its legal status. Laws have little sway in my decision making.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Very hard to answer.
You see, if you are asking would I try it if it became legal, then no, never.
But would I try it if I lived in a world where it had always been legal? Hmm. I shall drink Alcohol when I'm of age, so who's to say I would use heroin? Would heroin have as bad a reputation as it does now if it had always been legal? Who's to say?

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
Only when I was really old, like 70+. At that stage, its unlikely that I'll achieve anything else and I don't have to worry about its heath effects: if its a choice between dying slowly of some inoperable disease or dying while completely off my face on some heroin, I'd choose the latter.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I'd probably rather smoke a cigarette.

And I hate even the smell of that shit.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
tzimize said:
Abandon4093 said:
willis888 said:
No way. Tobacco is hard enough to stay away from one you get hooked, and I've heard that heroine is comparable in terms of addictiveness. If tobacco was as unhealthy as heroine, I'd have died years ago.
You're kidding right? Tobacco is like candy compared to heroine in terms of addictive properties.

The jury is still out on whether smoking is anything more than habitual addiction. I'd certainly argue that it isn't chemical like heroine.
I've actually read this too in a science magazine. While you dont get hooked as fast on nicotine as on heroine, the addictive properties of nicotine are HUGE.

There are two kinds of addiction, mental and physical. Afaik for example acid is not physically addictive (as in you dont go into withdrawal if you dont get it). Nicotine and heroine on the other hand, is.
I completely disagree. There is massive contention about the addictive properties of a cigarette at the minute.

There's a reason things such as hypnotherapy and substitute cigs are more effective at combating cig addiction than nicotine patches and gum.

The act of smoking a cigarette is more important to smoker than the nicotine hit they get from it. In mine and a lot of other peoples opinions, it's a habitual addiction. The act of smoking is the reward people are looking for. Not the rush of chemicals.

You can quite cigs cold turkey and have nothing more than psychological withdrawals such as irritability (in very extreme cases). If you try to quite heroine cold turkey. There's a slight chance of death because of the chemical dependance you've built up.

They are not comparable addictions, and any scientist who would tell you otherwise is merely sensationalising.
I'll trust my non-sensational science magazine until you dig up some sources. That said, this is really not something I care a lot about, and I'm just retelling what I've read. So, feel free to feel you're correct, have a nice weekend :D

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Short answer, no.
Long answer, nooooooooooooooo
I don't avoid heroin because it's illegal. If I wanted it, the law wouldn't stop me from getting it. I avoid heroin for other, very obvious reasons.
To quote the late and the great George Carlin:
"I'm on point, on task, on message, and off drugs.
I've got no need for coke and speed; I've got no urge to binge and purge."

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
nope.
only drugs i will use are alcohol, menthol (i actually use this regularly and legally for migraines), nicotine and marijuana.