Poll: Would you undergo a treatment that made sleep unnecessary for you...

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
No. Sleep is wonderful. Seriously, I love it. I was looking forward to tomorrow for a long time because I get a proper day off, and I can get an extra 4 hours of sleep.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
That's really hard to decide... On the one hand, I sleep too much or too little and I am ALWAYS tired. Would the procedure finally kill this chronic fatigue I feel? If it would, then yeah I would definitely do it. On the other hand, I love sleeping because I dream a lot and I get many of my story ideas from my dreams. Eliminate the sleep and I might run dry on inspiration.

But if it would make me no longer tired, then I would do it. Being tired all the time is painful.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Heronblade said:
Take make it easy on my feeble math skills. Say you live to 100 and you said you sleep a third of your life, wouldn't losing 20 years be better than 33?

On topic. I don't think so, going to bed gives you time to relax, I don't mean sleeping but just laying there. Plus, if you're awake all the time, you would be worked into the ground.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Mr Fixit said:
Nope sleep is awesome & I plan on being that crazy old man that lives in the spooky house on the hill. Honestly if anyone is so busy that they would need to be awake all the time, then they may want to rethink their entire lifestyle.
That.

The whole "shortened lifespan" thing implies that I would want to spend less time in a dreaming state than I do now. But, dreaming is the most enjoyable part of my day, at least at this point in my life. Heck, I even enjoy the sensation of drifting in and out of consciousness, snoozing, daydreaming... come to think of it, maybe I'm just the wrong person to ask. XD

In brief, though, productivity isn't as important as enjoying life to the extent you can. Cutting out sleep would be like cutting out food; yeah, it would save me time, but I usually enjoy eating, as long as the food is pretty good.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Probably. I'm an insomniac due in no small part to my brain routinely convincing me that any time spent sleeping is time wasted.

I like my job and my family and all that but sleepy time is time I could, and would rather spend doing my own thing and winding down from the stresses of the day.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
No, because if I do, a giant, Hulked-out version of me will start crashing my Halloween parties.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm honestly not sure, it's pretty tempting, for work you'd just pick up a job somewhere that has a overnight/midnight shift and then dick around with people all morning/afternoon/evening. It probably wouldn't be that bad of a deal if you took it at a younger age.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
My sleep-wake rhythm is always fucked up. If the procedure really removed that, I'd get more benefits than just the 9 hours from each 24. And worried about lonely nights? It wouldn't take long for the non-sleepers to find each other and party all night! And my dead body would be prettier too!

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
That would depend on how popular it became. If most people still needed sleep and I was just stuck having to entertain myself during the time when everyone else is fast asleep, and would live a significantly shorter life, then no. Really doesn't sound worth it. But if it's so popular that it's the norm and I could hang out with people or work just as naturally at 4am, as I could at 4pm, then yeah I'd be down for that

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
I think the big problem with this treatment is the assumption that sleep is wasted time, when in fact its actually being spent pretty well. Well sleeping your doing more than just turning your brain off and letting it recover its actually still working though the problems you have in your day to day life. One of the reason why a good nights sleep can really help when your stuck on a problem.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Not a chance. Every time I try to pull an all-nighter, I end up calling it quits around 9am and going to bed. But it's not the tiredness that gets me, it's the boredom. So it'd be that, but forever. Hell no.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
omega 616 said:
Heronblade said:
Take make it easy on my feeble math skills. Say you live to 100 and you said you sleep a third of your life, wouldn't losing 20 years be better than 33?

On topic. I don't think so, going to bed gives you time to relax, I don't mean sleeping but just laying there. Plus, if you're awake all the time, you would be worked into the ground.
Average lifespan for someone like me is about 80 years, that's 20 vs 27, not quite as generous.

Regardless, not really. I would love to gain that extra time for both work and play, but there is only so much I can do with it in any single 24 hour period. In reality, I'd probably only gain about four hours a day on average. Certainly not insignificant, but it "only" adds up to a bit more than 13 years.

In addition, having more free time at night is nice, but living long enough to see long term changes to society, particularly since I fully intend to have a hand in those changes, is much nicer.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
not as it is. eliminating 20 years is nice and all, but the last thing i'd want to do is be awake more than i am already. if it made me sleep more and shortened my lifespan, i'd do it in a heartbeat. bonus points if i become a complete vegetable and never have to deal with waking life again, ever.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Hell no. Sure there have been times when I wish I didn't need to sleep, but I'm not giving up 20 years that easily. Now give me a medication that could control exactly how long I sleep and I'd be all over that because I hate over sleeping.

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
Sounds great!Think of all the room I'll save by not needing bedrooms!Hell, houses would just become dens,kitchens and a pot to piss in. It would kinda throw me off though especially if not everybody had it done.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Taking 20 years off my life is a hard call because I don't know how long I'll live. I mean, if I make it to the point of the singularity or the point where we eventually are able to stop ageing, then I'd see no reason not to. Otherwise, no. I fear death more than anything.