Poll: Would you vote for a presdential republican candidate...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
That was an atheist? He shares the same views as most of the Republican party except for the ones backed by theology. Not necessarily pro-gay marriage, more apathetic to it then anything else.

And for the sake of keeping the argument legitimate, this candidate is crazy rich so he can afford to run with out the help of lobbyists funding. Also he publicly states that while he lacks a "christian" moral compass he lives by a code of What Would Superman Do? ("You believe in your fictional character, I'll believe in mine" he defends)

The person running against him on the democratic ticket is Obama.

This is probably a poor discussion topic, I was just thinking to myself that though I agree with the republican party on some very major fundamental things (Small government) their extreme non-secular opinions on things like Gay marriage is something I can't compromise on (as well as certain social changes I agree with)

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I vote... for Sakura.

She is the best choice. :p

[sub]Damn, sleepy... need... rest...[/sub]

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Honestly? Religion is not a fundamental reason for making the choice, I choose based on whom I agree more with. If this Republican had a campaign I agree with and I feel that they can pull off what they preach then I'll vote for them.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
A candidate's religious beliefs mean exactly nothing to me. I vote based on what they plan to do for the country or town or state or whatever. If I agreed with the Republican candidate's policies then yeah I'd vote for him.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I remember (well, I dont, I wasnt born yet, but my grandfather talks about it all the time), when Kennedy was elected and he was and Irish Catholic in the 1950-1960s. And that was considered the worst thing possible.

So honestly this wouldnt bother me. As long as they werent like Obama or Bush. Besides, I doubt I would vote (or if I did, really cared. I know, I should, and Americans dont appreciate it and all that, but i just dont see the huge deal, considering that the guy usually screws you over in the end).

Also, I dont think Obama will run next election. I know he said he will, but I doubt he'll be hte Democrats man.

Now if it were Hillary on the ballot, then I would vote fo her, just to get bill back in, cause he kept the US in good economic times.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I still think Mitt Romney was the best presidential candidate in 2008, period, and he was Mormon.

Maybe I'm weird, but within reason, religion has no bearing on my voting habits.

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Atheist Republican? That's the same as saying an Atheist Christian. Anyways, Scince I'm Canadian, I don't really have much say. But Republicans are all about monopolizing everything, making everything a buisness that keeps screwing you over. No.

*EDIT* After consideration, I suppose him being an Atheist would make him less prone to...insanity (Glenn Beck, Bill O'reilly, Rush Limbaugh.) So, I'd give him a chance.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I would refuse to vote period. By voting the only thing being heard by your vote is "I approve how this doesnt work"

As for Atheist? Its not going to happen. At least not from the republican party. Too much of their base is tied into the bible belt demographic. They wouldn't support someone enough to let them get anywhere near a primary with their ticket.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I will vote for anyone whose platform I agree with. Whether they choose to put a (D) or (R) or (L) or (G) or (Ò) or whatever on the end of their name on the ticket doesn't matter for shit, and neither does their religious affiliation, or lack there-of.

The question as presented is a foolish way to think and is exactly what's wrong with the fucking party system as it stands. The whole thing would be better off dissolved. Too many people vote strictly party-line and fundamentalist politics, and never even give a damn about the issues, even after the election is done. (D)s always hate (R)s no matter what they do, and vice versa, and anyone who's not a (D) or (R) or doesn't prescribe to the strict agendas of (D)club or the (R)club get utterly disenfranchised every single fucking time.

It's maddening.

DVnotDivvy

Sep 17, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
That was an atheist? He shares the same views as most of the Republican party except for the ones backed by theology. Not necessarily pro-gay marriage, more apathetic to it then anything else.

And for the sake of keeping the argument legitimate, this candidate is crazy rich so he can afford to run with out the help of lobbyists funding. Also he publicly states that while he lacks a "christian" moral compass he lives by a code of What Would Superman Do? ("You believe in your fictional character, I'll believe in mine" he defends)

The person running against him on the democratic ticket is Obama.

This is probably a poor discussion topic, I was just thinking to myself that though I agree with the republican party on some very major fundamental things (Small government) their extreme non-secular opinions on things like Gay marriage is something I can't compromise on (as well as certain social changes I agree with)
Is this in any way a reference to Ron Paul or Gary Johnson?

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Your country is falling apart because you guys won't pay enough tax to support a first world nation, and you want even SMALLER government? Just think how it looks to us in Australia - we take for absolute granted that every single person in the country is insured by Medicare for all procedures except purely cosmetic surgery (nose-jobs and facelifts require private insurance, though things like lap-band surgery are covered by the government if there's a serious health issue involved), not to mention public funding of tertiary education, training etc, and our national debt is only 3% of GDP (yours is around 68%). The fact that you guys can't afford what we take as the basic minimums of civilised existence is astounding, and every time I hear you say 'we can't afford universal healthcare' it just sounds to me like 'the US is a nation of freaken' morons who can't even manage the basics of nationhood'.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
If I thought he would be a good president, I don't give a shit if he's atheist, agnostic, pastafarian (although that would be awesome), gay, transexual, an alien, made of zucchini glued together with peanut butter, etc.

I vote for the one I think will suck the least. That's it.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I don't vote based on religious affiliation.

But being part of the political parties already discourages me.

Nov 12, 2010
Phlakes said:
If I thought he would be a good president, I don't give a shit if he's atheist, agnostic, pastafarian (although that would be awesome), gay, transexual, an alien, made of zucchini glued together with peanut butter.

I vote for the one I think will suck the least. That's it.
You just won the internets.Now get a broom,we gotta clean the politics out of this place.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
One of my biggest problems with the Republicans is the whole "Getting back to God." thing that they try to pull all the time. Now, I'm a registered Republican, but that doesn't mean that I have to toe the party line whenever I get the chance.

Religion has no place in government, period. I don't care what the person's religion is. If they have views that I agree with, I'll vote for them, Democrat, Republican, or otherwise.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
I'd vote for Obama, the reason is the republican party has become infatuated with the "tea party/tea baggers" who have horrible policies. For sanity reasons, Obama is the best we got.