Poll: Would you want Bioware to make KotOR 3?

Sep 24, 2008
Allow me to take you

Adam Jensen said:
No. I want CD Projekt RED to make it.
and introduce your ideas to

Silentpony said:
How about a Jade Empire sequel instead? Or just an HD remake. The years have not been kind to that game.
CD Projekt Red doing Jade Empire 2.

I would fist-fight Satan for that using only Spirit Thief.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Diablo2000 said:
I was trying to play the Steam version of Jade Empire and I kept getting my ass kicked, and I remember being pretty decent on the original version. The controls are so delayed, ever on my controller. And I found it damn near impossible to play on mouse/keyboard. Simply too many buttons, and 3rd person never works well with mouse/keyboard.

Ubersupersloth1

Dec 15, 2015
Nah, Bioware hasn't made a good game since DA:O. I think Inquisition was better than 2 but worse than Origins. The fact that, in the open world, since combat can be initiated anytime, you are often the one to attack first makes you seem like the bad guy, at least in my eyes. Seriously, the body count for the inquisitor alone by the end of the game is ridiculous. (Yes, DA:O has a high body count as well but it's generally reasonable and, barring dialogue options that engage a fight, they attack first so I just imagined my character not wanting to fight but being forced into it, anyway, a bit of a tangent but, yeah, that's one of my biggest complaints with DA:I, even if it seems so minor, the massive amount of human enemies killed without anyone batting an eye (it's why I romanced Josephine when I played, she shared my distaste for it).

TLDR:

DA:O>DA:I>DA2 EA Sucks.

(Oh, and just to make sure this comes across, I do NOT think Video Games cause violence or that no video games should be violent [Hello Spec Ops: The Line] it just doesn't mesh with the story and characters).

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I'd definitely rather Obsidian made a new Knights of the Old Republic, if one were to be made. I have nothing against Bioware but Obsidian are responsible for the signficantly better and more interesting writing that makes Knights of the Old Republic II my preferred game in the series. Bioware might be able to make a new Star Wars game that fits with the more action-based style of The Force Awakens but Obsidian questioned the nature of the Force and made the mythos far more engaging and introspective and that's what I'd rather see again.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
at this point, i would prefer Obsidian. EA interferes too much with all of their major developers. Bioware would just be rushed and the game would be released after just two years in development while Bioware is working on two or three other titles. it would probably be about 1/5th the scale of the first Kotor, the story would be half-assed, and the choices wouldnt matter much.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah I'm just gonna up and say it,
I hated Dragon Age Inquisition and everything that it stands for. A player SHOULD NOT have to behave extraordinarily meta with their player character in order to get even a FRACTION of entertainment out of an otherwise dull, overly safe, restrictive and bland game that wants to make sure the player realizes that this is BioWare's story that THEY control, not the player and their choices.
Oh also, the abnormal pandering when it came to the changes in designs. GROW SOME BALLS BIOWARE AND DEFEND YOUR DAMN DESIGNS FOR ONCE. They hear orc comparisons, TURN THE DARKSPAWN IN TO THE PUTTIES FROM POWER RANGERS. They hear people going in to what's basically an RTS with normal third person only for console users (A very, VERY stupid idea not to implement it on their part) and coming out wishing for an action game instead, they break the system in to a boring slodge of a button masher with the game itself turning in to an irritated parent telling their children that they aren't the right skin color for the clothes they want to wear and the toys they want to play with.
And you know what?
It just shows what they're doing now with their games. They're not as good as they once were and I don't see any hope on the horizon.
I just up and hate BioWare in general after Mass Effect 3. At least I ENJOYED Mass Effect 3 mostly! At least Dragon Age II had characters and story and still had the cool red blood dragon theme for the menus instead of a green fart gas!
The Old Republic would have been FAR better just being a normal sequel with MAYBE a co-op feature with the same story mechanics for anyone wanting it. But they made a damn MMO instead that no one asked for.

So no, don't let BioWare do ANYTHING with KoToR anymore, also mentioning how they essentially made any character YOU made Revan or the protagonist of the first game Non-Canon to the entire continuity. Have fun with that.
If CD Projekt Red has proved anything, its that they knows what they're doing. They won't cheat us out of anything with pointless tripe. They'd do a REALLY good job if they did it. Obsidion....eh, it could be good considering Alpha Protocol, KoToR 2, Pillars of Eternity, Mask of the Betrayer and South Park: The Stick of Truth. Though that's a very big COULD.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Angelous Wang said:
sheppie said:
Adam Jensen said:
And take time out of making the Witcher 4? Insanity!

More seriously, I found those games to be pretty good. Would play a third one.
They are not making a Witcher 4, Cyberpunk 2077 is their next project.

However they are going to be spending most of 2016 focused on DLC, supporting and selling the Witcher 3 some more, hence the recent article on this site saying "they are not done with the Witcher yet".

Obsidian,

KoToR 2 was great (though a bit unfinished and buggy - though there is a mod to finish it).
New Vagas was great (though buggy).
Alpha Protocol was great.
pillars of eternity showed that when you get rid of the publisher interference they are actually quite a capable studio

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Obsidian would be a cool choice, though I believe they aren't actually that superb at making games. They do understand their source material though, and have a damn good writing team that can add alot of mystery and cool concepts to any story they're working with... They just can't ever literally bring those cool concepts to life.

Bioware however, isn't Bioware any more. They're pretty much an entirely separate group of people just carrying the name for marketing value. They write good characters and dialogue, but they don't respect or even understand hardly any source material they're given these days. Casey Hudson did not understand what Mass Effect's story nor its deeper mysteries and motivations behind its universe was. He threw in Synths V Organics in ME3 as the entire plot, which couldn't have been further from what it was actually about. KOTOR online does not give a fuck about KOTORs story, so much so that they ruined Revan, not giving a damn care about how enigmatic and powerful the character is. They threw "HIM" in for marketing value; they couldn't even respect the characters gender being in question as KOTOR2 did; and thats all Bioware(EA) can do, attempt to make a game more marketable, they don't have the talent to make a great game.

KoToR 3 would be sick, but it wont ever happen due to the bastardization KoTor online has already succeeded with. Sad, but for the best, KoToR stopped at 2, and left a legacy of great, though somewhat flawed star wars games.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Allow me to take you

Adam Jensen said:
and introduce your ideas to

Silentpony said:
How about a Jade Empire sequel instead? Or just an HD remake. The years have not been kind to that game.
CD Projekt Red doing Jade Empire 2.

I would fist-fight Satan for that using only Spirit Thief.
I wouldn't want CDPR to make a Star Wars game, I think that they would be too constrained by the IP.....but this....this is an idea that I can get behind!

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Gundam GP01 said:
Zhukov said:
If someone else wants to make a KOTOR game I couldn't care less one way or the other. Give it to Telltale or something.
Wait what? Why TellTale? They've literally never made an RPG before ever.
I wouldn't mind a SW adventure game, actually. A bit like the Tattooine and Gungan areas on the Phantom Menace game.

Hey, since clone wars is apparently still canon, maybe we have Ventress roaming the outer rim and finding holocrons and other things telling about the past, which you then play through, and based on how you complete the past (ie the information she gets from the holocrons) determines her course of actions back in the 'present day'

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
No. I still desperately want KOTOR3 but not the kind of dumbed-down, hollowed out, DLC vehicle with crowbarred-in multiplayer that the Bioware of today would produce.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
TallanKhan said:
No. I still desperately want KOTOR3 but not the kind of dumbed-down, hollowed out, DLC vehicle with crowbarred-in multiplayer that the Bioware of today would produce.
Gather around your ship's war table holo table and send your companions forth to gather resources for the Inquisition Rebellion! Explore our "open world" zones planets and experience the rich game play possibilities that inhabit them. Find lost druffalo Banthas! Pick up random shiny things! Collect other random shiny things! Mine for ore! Mine for other ore! Mine for still more ore! If you mine 2,000 ore you can make a hilt for your sword lightsaber! Go on quests for resident farmers aliens! They will need you to pick up shiny things and/or mine for ores! Hundreds of hours of gameplay! Dozens Tens Several hours of story! Buy today and reserve your copy of the season pass to get our More Ores and Shiny Things Valley expansions!

atomic304

Feb 28, 2015
Absolutely not. KOTOR 1 and 2 are both a cut well above the trash they've been putting out in recent years.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I've mentioned before that KOTOR II is my favorite game of all time, and in the running for my favorite thing ever produced by a sentient creature. So it should come as no surprise that, if it were up to me, I would hand the fate of the series over to the creative team that made the most of it.

But a couple of things muddle the mixture. First of all, I will freely admit that KOTOR II does almost nothing to improve the original from a strictly mechanical perspective; by modern standards, it's nothing more than an adequate turn based RPG, and the few places where the game fumbles it's narrative arise due to the utterly idiotic morality system.

The real problem is that the game seems to sometimes just... assume extremism on the part of the player, despite the fact that the story devote so much time to arguing against that kind of behavior, so you get situations where your only available responses are to act like a raging psychopath or otherwise be a fucking doormat!

Obsidian and Bioware are two sides of a coin; the inversions of each other. Bioware are so concerned with technical perfection and efficiency that they seem to have forgotten how to take any artistic risks. With Inquisition, they practically flushed a complex, challenging story down the toilet in favor of putting a new coat of paint on The Hero's Journey AGAIN!

Obsidian regularly ship their games in a state of total disrepair, because they pay so little attention to the mechanical aspects of game design, in favor of focusing entirely on the ethereal, emotional aspect of the art. They're like a brilliant sculptor who works exclusively with cheap plastic.

I might be more eager to hand the next Star Wars game over to an eccentric artist who might muck up the gameplay if we weren't in the midst of an absolute DROUGHT of lightsaber combat action games. I am seriously tempted to choose Bioware, despite the fact that I'm almost sure they would take the absolute worst direction possible for one of gaming's all time great stories, because of the kid in me who used to always play around with sticks pretending they were lightsabers.

But at the end of the day, I care more about KOTOR as a story than I do as a toy, so yes, I would choose Obsidian. In an ideal world, I would just bring in Chris Avelone to handle the story and let Bioware design the game mechanics.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
A month after KotOR has been released? Absolutely.

A month after KotOR 2 has been released? Nope. Obsidian outplayed Bioware at their own game.

Now? Depends.

A "spiritual sequel" kind of game? TL:DR version - "Fuck off, EA".

A game that functions as alternate path starting at the moment KotOR 2 ended? (while I agree the ending wasn't exactly on par, it *could* work if we treat TSL as Empire Strikes Back) Sure, let Obsidian finish it. And while we're at it, I'd like it 5 years ago. With a cherry on top, seeing how unrealistic is temporarily allowed.

Low-end Force version, focusing on bonty hunters, smuggling, technology, politics? I don't see how SW has much to offer, aside from "smuggling, BUT in Star Wars!". If it's too close to the "main events", we have issues with canon and PG-friendly setting. If we drift away from it, there are much better settings to consider, let alone settings that require no prohibitive fees.

CDPR? After they are done with Cyberpunk, I'd like them to bring completely original IP to the table.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zhukov said:
Give it to Telltale or something.
You had to name the one group that would do a worse job than Bioware; An episodic game (released whenever the hell the wanted), and having the player make choices that don't mean a thing, with lightsaber combat reduced to a series of quicktime events. Yeah.... No.

OT; I'd like for them to rework TOR in to a single player game, yeah I know you can single player it now, but it's laggy as hell playing on the American servers. Maybe if they turned the Asia/Pacific servers back on... but I digress.

A third game would be nice, but it would mean having to close down the MMO so the story wouldn't contradict. Maybe a game set in the EU, after the original trilogy.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Doesn't matter to me, as they won't pass the DA:2 test. I'll see Kotor3 in the store and ask myself, "self, did you buy DA:2 and play it for 15 minutes before returning it for a $30 loss on the day Bioware became dead to you?" Then I'll tell myself yes and move on with my life. When you release a cash-grab, you're selling a shit game based on your reputation and will damage said reputation.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Personally, I couldn't care about another KotOR game.
While I liked it, I wasn't much a fan of the fighting gameplay, and after the average ending of the second game, I don't feel I'd enjoy another one, ESPECIALLY after the "eh" recent performances of Bioware.

Also, isn't the series non-canon?
That's annoying, I really liked the Old Republic world, but hey, it goes the same for my favourite Jedi Knight/Academy series.
Annoying, but... hey, better than EA getting its grubby hands on it.

Overall.
I'd prefer a Jedi Academy reboot.
I'd want Project Red/Obsidian to do a KotOR reboot.
I'd like the Star Wars license away from EA (unless I'm wrong there).