Poll: Would you want to see settlement and/or weapon crafting in a Obsidian designed Fallout

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
So as we all know Fallout 4 is a bad fallout however I do think settlement and weapon crafting do have potential in later games. When I was scavenging for loot in Fallout 4 I actually found some use for misc items, compare this to New Vegas where I mostly just sell it to the higher bidder but in 4 I was more inclined keeping Fission batteries and glue. So do you think Obsidian should drop settlements/ weapon crafting or keep them in next game.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
There should be an ?Other? option in your poll; I would like to keep the crafting features, but they need to be simplified. Any game that has you spending half your time in menus is flawed, and that?s why Fallout 4 only got 3 hours out of me. I did like the idea of finally having a use for all the clutter, but when I got to the first settlement and found myself scrolling through my inventory more than I was actually crafting anything, I lost all interest.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Xprimentyl said:
There should be an ?Other? option in your poll; I would like to keep the crafting features, but they need to be simplified. Any game that has you spending half your time in menus is flawed, and that?s why Fallout 4 only got 3 hours out of me. I did like the idea of finally having a use for all the clutter, but when I got to the first settlement and found myself scrolling through my inventory more than I was actually crafting anything, I lost all interest.
Agreed.
Weapon crafting I actually didn't have a problem with, but by the time I was done making up all the settlements they looked like bland, sheet-metal Borg cubes with rockets and robots.
Like 40k Hives, just...cubed.
'cause no way I'm spending dozens of hours meticulously placing individual bottles and chairs in a dozen different bars and hotels throughout the wasteland.
Everyone can be happy in one large room with all the mattresses, food stuffs, bars, and just be happy with the legion of kill robots guarding the everything.

So maybe an option that you can just leave a bunch of decorations in a pile and an NPC will occasional pick something up and place it somewhere...

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I liked making homes.

But I hated settlement managment. So I'd like to be able to custom build a home base. With perhaps prefab options for those who don't want to.

I liked weapon mods too.

Lodgem

Dec 11, 2009
Country
Australia
I tend to think that for settlements to work well the game needs to be designed around them. I'm not sure they fit well into the fallout style gameplay. As a spin-off game it could work but not as a kind of mini-game within a game of a completely different genre.

As far as crafting is concerned, I don't really think that it makes much sense. Making weapons and armour is a skilled profession and the idea that a talented amateur could do better with bits and pieces from old appliances doesn't really make much sense.

I don't like it from a gameplay perspective either. It can make items found either in the world, or for sale at a merchant, less valuable, or special. I find that it also makes dealing with clutter much harder. If vendor trash is obvious, managing it becomes simpler. If everything has a use I find it much harder to determine if I'm going to want it. I'd rather less junk than trying to find a use for the junk that's there.

I do like weapon mods, however. A system that allows weapons, and possibly armour, to be enhanced by adding mods from a large number of pre-designed modifications is something that I like to see. Cosmetic cusomisation would also be appreciated. If my bad-ass soldier wants his gun to look blue, or pink or something, it would be nice to give him that option.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I never really understood folks problem with settlements in FO 4, did they not play the game because they heard it was a part of the experience? Because anyone who did play FO 4 knows the settlement building is entirely optional. You eventually need enough space to build a big machine, and to get to that part you have to choose a faction. And each faction GIVES you enough space to build the machine. You need take over 0 settlements... ever. And you will probably take over a settlement or 2 by mistake just by finishing quests. And you have to build... 0 anything on that settlement... ever.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
You had me at "Obsidian designed Fallout". I love them to bits but Obsidian have never been the best engine makers. Giving them the Fallout 4 engine to play with would probably garner good results. However I hope they will explain everything better than Bethesda did. There are a lot of things about settlements that are never told to you. So yes, I hope that in the circumstance where a miracle occurs and they get to do one, Obsidian should keep both features.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
I never really understood folks problem with settlements in FO 4, did they not play the game because they heard it was a part of the experience? Because anyone who did play FO 4 knows the settlement building is entirely optional. You eventually need enough space to build a big machine, and to get to that part you have to choose a faction. And each faction GIVES you enough space to build the machine. You need take over 0 settlements... ever. And you will probably take over a settlement or 2 by mistake just by finishing quests. And you have to build... 0 anything on that settlement... ever.
You need to settlement build for a faction and the main quest makes you dabble in a it a lil bit. It is not entirely optional. Either way, I prefer if there were more unique weapons again like in previous titles but with a few unique mods instead of a bunch of samey guns with alot of mods that are practically the same. Settlements though in my opinion were horribly implemented and I don't think they are that good for a fallout game imo

Not to mention that it encourages stripping what could be actual interesting cities and locations from the game

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
kenu12345 said:
Kyrian007 said:
You need to settlement build for a faction and the main quest makes you dabble in a it a lil bit. It is not entirely optional. Either way, I prefer if there were more unique weapons again like in previous titles but with a few unique mods instead of a bunch of samey guns with alot of mods that are practically the same. Settlements though in my opinion were horribly implemented and I don't think they are that good for a fallout game imo
Incorrect. I did a low INT high luck character and did not build a single settlement. I couldn't really. With an INT of 1 you are really limited on crafting or building of any kind, so I didn't bother with it. I didn't want a settlement I couldn't defend because I couldn't build anything but lowest tier turrets. So I never built a settlement. When I needed to build the machine, I did, at the airport (where you can't even build a proper settlement anyway), and that's all I ever built there. Just the one machine. And that build is more of a quest than actual settlement building. Its just a follow the instructions and get the stuff quest. If you want to call that dabbling in settlement building... it just really isn't.

But to the OP question. A pretty hypothetical one considering Obsidian isn't doing any Fallout. Sure, as long as settlement building remains completely optional. Like it is in FO 4. Then there's no issue and only Bethesda haters will complain. Its there for the people who like it, and for those who don't, they don't have to do it. Or like me on a second or third character I didn't want to build settlements, and PROVED it was possible finish the game without building settlements.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Weapon and equipment crafting was okay. At the very least it let me have the look I wanted and the stats I wanted without having to rely (entirely) on the RNG.

Settlement stuff can go suck on a sweaty ferret though.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Would be nice if they'd make a new one in the first place, and show Bethesda once again how a RPG should be done....

But anyway, I gladly want that stuf removed. It really came at the cost of weapon variety. And settlement building was tedious at best. And actually force upon you on occasion.

Mar 30, 2010
Before I go onto my actual point, can I be that guy and point out that in New Vegas fission batteries and glue did have crafting uses (being able to be turned into energy cells and weapon repair kits respectively)? Sorry.

Right, back on point - I liked the weapon/armour crafting in Fallout 4, and I actually really liked the settlement building, but it threw up a rather annoying quirk that I didn't like - it made me hate settlers. Seriously, raiders (the 'scourge' of the wasteland) were a proactive bunch, building walls, guard posts, setting up defenses and actually working to make sure that their little corner of the world could survive on its own. Settlers (the 'future' of the wasteland) were a bunch of work-shy assholes content to sleep on a scrap of cardboard out in the open without lifting so much as a finger to help themselves. Now I know why they did this, it was so that the player always had well built fortresses to assault and potential homesteads to construct, and from a game mechanics point of view it makes perfect sense, but from a roleplaying point of view it just didn't hold water. I swiftly began to develop a kind of twitch whenever I would arrive at a settlement and be told "Oh, we don't have enough food!" or similar. I would think to myself "I've built you a house, I've built you generators, defense turrets, beds, water purifiers, provided you with fertile tracts of land in the middle of a radioactive fucking wasteland and saved your bestie from raiders. While I was out doing all of that is it too much to ask that you plant enough crops to feed your damn selves?!?". This was all very manageable when you only had a half-dozen or so settlements, but towards the end-game when nearly every settlement site was a small town in its own right tending to all the needs of every settler swiftly became an all-consuming chore. I think if they were to keep settlement building in a future Fallout I would like to see some attempt made at small scale automation where settlers could take care of the minor stuff themselves and leave you to handle the bigger tasks - perhaps a Charisma perk that allowed you to promote a settler to the rank of mayor so that you weren't constantly being hounded with endless requests for trivial shit.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
It doesn't really matter. They can still write circles around Bethesda's milquetoast team.