Poll: WOW on console

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
God no! I hate wow with a PASSION! I's only even consider bothering to play if A) I recieved it as a gift and B) thier were no monthly fees....but since its not on Consoles A&B can't possibly happen so I'll continue to be WoW Free!

Mar 9, 2010
Spectre4802 said:
It wouldn't work, in my opinion - the controller's too limited in buttons form immediate access. You could have it pop up a menu, that popped up more menus, but that's going to take so damn long to do that by the time you've selected your spell/ability you're already well under attack.

Can't see WoW on a console, ever. It's built for a keyboard.
And RTS games were built for PC, but that didn't stop them did it now?

OT: I see a lot of people saying that the controls would be too difficult to use effectively. This is the usual argument when it comes to porting from PC. Has anyone ever heard of combinations? Yes, the kind that you use in fighting games. You set yourself a combination for a spell, say right trigger then A, B, A and you have your spell.

Fighting games on the PC would be so much easier to control on PC with all those keyboard buttons, but you play them on consoles all the time. The concept may be different but the principal isn't.

It wouldn't be difficult to set up a combination, like a hotkey. If the combinations go up to four buttons then you could have a good 9999 different combinations. Do the same for the left trigger and you have 19998 combinations for spells and potions. There may be flaws, but there always are.

Sep 17, 2009
Sean.Devlin said:
Just curious, assuming I go back in time and kill someone so that WoW never exists in anyone's mind, who would that someone be?
Dude stop trolling, this is not the first WoW thread that you have posted an unrelated hateful comment on.

If you don't like the game that is fine, but no need to troll forums looking for people to agree with your opinions. Trolling is not the way to achieve for external affirmation, it is just sad.

OT: WoW could never be on a console, way too many keybinds, spells, items, etc. I can hardly see it working with a controller. I am impressed the OP could manage that.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Personally dont think wow and consoles are a nice fit, but in responce to those saying a console controller wouldnt be viable, i'm not so sure. Cant speak for every class, but as an active, raiding hunter (+ feral tank) i feel i could get by easily enough; main rotation could be mapped to the face buttons, with the d-pad for additional functions, cooldowns, cc, disengage. LB/RB could be tab targeting functions, triggers for further contextual menus. Wouldnt be perfect, but really, do you use more than 12 hotkeys in combat on a constant basis?

tawmus

Apr 28, 2010
It could be feasible. I never used a keyboard to play any mmo, used a nostromo pad which has 16 buttons. Granted you can assign macro's to them (which might be possble with an controller), but that is what is nice about a "game pad". I think certain classes could be played with an xbox controller. No mouse would be the hardest adjustment; targeting, etc... . One plus is its easier to throw a controller when you're angry than a keyboard. I miss the NES controller, that thing was darn near indestructible from game induced rage.

elcamino41383

Mar 24, 2009
I'd like to see it done on consoles. I highly doubt it will happen. If they could manage to make a console version similar to how they worked spells into macros like they did Final Fantasy 11, I could see it possibly working. But like many have already said, it would have to be scaled down, and changed a lot to make it work.

MeSomeGuy

Aug 10, 2009
I would love to have a "good" MMO on a console, but WOW wouldn't work very well. Fingers crossed for DC Universe on PS3; "Please don't suck!!!"

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
ok this is only tangentially related to the thread, but why can't people with consoles accept the limitations of them, every time there is a popular game for pc I see a thread like this "why no starcraft on pc?" it is just one of those things that the pc can do that consoles can't we have more buttons so we can do more complicated games.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
No, Id keep playing it on PC..... I in all honesty cant think of a single reason it should be on consoles

SadisticPretzel

Nov 29, 2010
I first played Dragon Age on the Xbox, and I almost just quit because I hated only having 4 spells readily available. Then I found out there was a PC version...Felt like I'd died and gone to heaven.

WoW is WAY too complex a game to be ported to a console, unless you plan on playing that Xbox game with a keyboard and mouse somehow.

MeSomeGuy

Aug 10, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
A few friends and I have tossed such an idea around while playing before and the conclusion we've always come to is that simply porting WoW as it is to a console would be impractical. While still on the impractical side inside we think it would be a better idea (should blizzard every get the itch to do such a thing) to instead build a game from the ground up based upon the 1-player ideology of console games.

Think of Oblivion except within the settings of the WoW universe. They could choose an overarching story line that qualified as "the main game" and use other content as the side quests culminating in the various dungeons. Raids could easily be implemented as DLC that introduce a new story-arc for the player to follow and at the same time bring the new armor and what not with it.

Of course this means it would require either a pairing down of classes to the three base archetypes with the ability to branch out into whatever type of character you desire to play. So in the respect of play style think Fable...just with less fail.

Of course this is just very general conceptualization of how one could translate WoW to the console, and in my opinion results in an almost "WoW Lite" version that trims the fat of what can sometimes bog down the game's story progression. To put it simply a console version of the game would be something to market towards people who don't want to/have the time to waste on the hours one must pour into an MMO to make progress of any kind. If you want to be cynical about it, this would be the solution for all those hardcore players that say casual players are destroying their experience since it would most likely be casual player who'd gravitate towards such a product.
I agree completely! If the game is built from the ground up for consoles it would be great.
The number of different classes would have to be reduced initially. However, if the class system was designed as a mix of Boarderlands/Mass Effect it could work very well on a console.

- But the Idea of just porting WOW onto Xbox live or PSN would fail faster than APB

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I like how people say "WoW can't go anywhere after Cataclysm". It shows that most people have the least amount of creativity or imagination when it comes to fantasy games.
More on topic though, WoW cannot be played on console for 3 main reasons:

1. Addons. I doubt Xbox 360 would let you install 3rd party software on your box without charging arms and legs for the service to be downloaded in the first place. And raiding is not done without addons, ask any healer what they'd do without their healbot (or insert healbot clone here).

2. Mouse targeting for AoE spells such as Blizzard, Death and Decay, Flamestrike, etc would not port to a controller.

3. Macros for rotations.

There are more reasons but those are three off the top of my head.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I have a level 30 shaman. JUST LEVEL 30, and there are already too many abilities to use a controller for it.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Sean.Devlin said:
Just curious, assuming I go back in time and kill someone so that WoW never exists in anyone's mind, who would that someone be?
You'd have to drop an A-bomb on the entirety of Blizzard. But then i'd have to kill you, cuz i love Starcraft (1 and 2).

Cypher10110

Jul 16, 2009
Chunko said:
ciortas1 said:
Chunko said:
What's the point? This means you'll have to have both a 360 and a PC, one version will be completely gimped and shitloads of work will have to be done to make these changes. All this just to get to sit your ass on a sofa?
I think with the amount of money blizzard has they could afford to port the game. And I don't think I'm alone when I say that I get sick of staring at a computer screen all day.
Staring at a TV is different? I've used my PC monitor for consoles for a few years now. I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse so I can play from my bed, and I use a 360 controller on the pc for some games. I really don't see why you would want to play an MMO on a console unless you didn't have a PC in the first place.

I'm all for console MMOs for those that want them, but you cant port a PC MMO onto a console without losing/changing ALOT. I mean you could make the keyboard a necessary piece of kit to play, effectively turning your console into a PC anyway. Or you could strip down the game to function with simpler controls.

For me the whole deal with WoW was the fact I could run it windowed+maximised and have other things open. Like web browsers, instant messengers, ventrilo, music, maybe a film if I'm grinding; show it on a second monitor, or "always on top" in the corner.
If it was on a console I would get bored incredibly quickly. Everything would be harder and more laborious to do.
For me it would be tantamount to playing an RTS with a controller - absurd. I've played full spectrum warrior on xbox as a "console rts" and I've played red alert on the n64 too. It's just stupid.

If you've played a game on PC that makes you click a button on screen that says "select" or some such after clicking an option button, you may think "why have me click two separate buttons when it could have just used the first click?". If you notice these things you are probably very used to using a mouse and keyboard, and having instant access. You think, you do, it happens as fast as you can make it happen.
On a console it's different, you have to plan your inputs, watch the screen. You may have to scroll down a menu, be prompted to "confirm" much more often. It's natural when you're using a D-pad or whatever to control the game, but when you move to PC you've got a much more accurate and quicker method of navigating such menus.

TLDR; The user-interface between the player and the game is drastically different for PC and consoles. It irritates me to no end when menus are designed for a console and then ported over to PC, and I feel it's near impossible to do this in reverse. The platforms are vastly different. MMOs on consoles are certainly possible already, but I think they'd be very different affairs from WoW.

On a side note, finished Alpha Protocol recently, great game, tons of fun. The user interface pissed me off so much at first, but I eventually learnt to obey it's unconventional rules and almost forget about it by the end of the 20+ hours of play. It is a prime example of a Console ported UI, totally functional, but very fiddly and unintuitive. Shame they didn't take the time to re-design the interface for the mouse and keyboard. I remember oblivion suffered a similar problem, however at least it had a budding modding scene to fix stuff like that post-release (something consoles are incapable of having currently).

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
I know a few PS3 games that allow the use of usb Keyboard and mouse(don't know about Xbox360 though),so MMO on console isn't entirely far fetch.

I like the idea of MMO on consoles,but i don't think WoW itself would works on console,because of how complex it is.