Poll: WWO2 shooters

Quala

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think there are too many, just too many doing the same thing. They tried to innovate on games like MoH:Airborne by adding parachutes, and it was pretty cool, and The Saboteur is set in WW2, but its actually pretty unique so far. Most WW2 games are just "American soldier with guns shoots natzis with a gruff sargent(SP?) and useless squad." he CoD series at least includes more than one nationality of soldier, but in the long run it doesn't make much of a difference.

(P.S. Why WWO2?)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Weren't all the WW2 games out about 6 months ago?

Besides the aforementioned "the saboteur" I can't think of another WW2 game coming out, although I am a bit behind on games that are coming out soon.

(ps. whats (sp?) in "gruff Sargent(SP?)")

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, but then other genres are still free to explore it. Also, what does the 'O' stand for in WWO?

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
WW02? Is that some sort of battle between British mobile phone companies? (02? No? Never mind then...)

Anyway, to answer the question that I think you asking...Sort of. There are way too many as it is such an easy genre for developers to set their games. Now-a-days, (In my un-learned opinion) it's pretty much becoming a mark of laziness if a game is set in WW2 because its the obvious setting for a shooter...

But on the other hand...I like playing WW2 related games, so that kind of shoots my argument in the foot really

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
I love the WW2 era, it's so amazing and important.

But I am sick to death of hearing about it, and playing it!

FFS KOREA! It's got similar stuff to WW2 but some new toys and an interesting ideology. Make a game about it!

They made a TV show about it which lasted longer than the bloody war!

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
I personally enjoy WWII games, so I will have to say "no". I don't know what it is about them, but I like them (although they could desperately use some new material, if that is at all possible).

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Well we need to start another huge war... China does a lot things to piss me off so i say we get them! D:<

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
WWO2?

yeah world war 2 shooters are a bit overdone. But to be honest what other wars could you replace the ease of setting you get. You don't need to explain world war 2. Its here is some Nazis, shoot them. You have to do a bit more work with the Vietnam war, justifying the slaughter. Theres a reason the setting is overdone. It pretty much the only war that is celebrated in the modern, lets not murder everyone who looks different to me, world.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
Personally I think there's not enough good ones, but I'm a WWII buff so there... I don't mind if the big companies move away from making them (Call of Duty has and now Medal of Honor are), because a lot of the best WWII games come out of smaller and/or foreign studios.

geon106

Jul 15, 2009
Yes and No really.

I mean medal of honour was one of the first and imho one of the best. Call of Duty was really good and did some things that MoH didn't(esp in the first 2 anyways). Brothers in Arms was more of a story telling affair with more tactics involved.

But i think CoD3 and 5, BiA Hells Highway were just really boring.

5 is good, it was a nice update of graphics for the genre and was still easy to play, but i just found the storyline really boring and it was really repetitive, many will disagree.

I want to see more WW2 shooters in the future, try new things with new graphics etc etc.

I'd prefer a WW1 shooter for a change

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
geon106 said:
I'd prefer a WW1 shooter for a change
Hide in trenches all year? That doesn't sound like a fun game...
No, wait, it could work!
"World War 1: Play football with the Beatles!"

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
The WW2 genre has become overflooded because no one has the guts to make it different or controversial, like to play as the Germans. It doesn't have to go so far on the controversal chart but anything besides Normandie or Stalingrad would be a fresh breeze.

The Winter war in Finland would be marvelous or maybe play as the Germans during Market Garden (CoH ripoff but that campaign are excellent and would make a fun base)

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
The WW2 genre has become overflooded because no one has the guts to make it different or controversial, like to play as the Germans. It doesn't have to go so far on the controversal chart but anything besides Normandie or Stalingrad would be a fresh breeze.

The Winter war in Finland would be marvelous or maybe play as the Germans during Market Garden (CoH ripoff but that campaign are excellent and would make a fun base)
I've wanted to play a WW2 game from the Germans perspective for AGES. Not all Nazis were teh satan. It's a lot like racist people today, everyone knows one.

NOTE: I'm not pro-Nazi or racist, I'm just saying that Nazi soldiers had families and such too, they don't all HAVE to be cannon fodder for your MP40

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I KNOW WHAT IT STANDS FOR!

WORLD WITHOUT OIL 2! It's like GTA but with steampunk!