Poll: xbox 360 slim

Stoink

Apr 21, 2010
so i was sitting there playing my xbox when all of a sudden it freezes and out of nowhere every xbox gamers worst nightmare THE RED RING OF DEATH, this annoyed me alot because it had happend before, so i call up to get it fixed and they tell me its gonna cost $200

so i thought should i just buy the new xbox 360 slim its a lot more quiet, it has a lot more memory and it wont break every year.

what do you think?

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Sounds like a good idea to me, just remember to copy your memory over with a device.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I'd go for it. I'll probably buy it soon to, even though my old xbox is still working.

It's an upgrade after all.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
Yes. The 360 S (SeXbox :p) is great. SO much quieter, smaller and it has features such as Wi-Fi, which really should have been in from the start, that improve the overall experience. The built in Wi-Fi also increases the range of from which you can use your wireless controllers and headsets.

Billska

Feb 3, 2010
You should, but the thing is that the new xbox slim can still have the RRoD except you can't see it.

Billska

Feb 3, 2010
Stoink said:
Billska said:
You should, but the thing is that the new xbox slim can still have the RRoD except you can't see it.
WHAT! please explain
Ok. The new xbox slim hardware can still get the RRoD. Except when it happens, there are no 3 red lights.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
If it cost 200 $ to repair the old one, I don't see any argument for not upgrading.

The Slim severely lessens one of the Xbox 360's most major annoyances, the noise level, if you're still using a 20 GB or 60 GB hard drive, then the added space should be most welcome.

Stoink

Apr 21, 2010
Billska said:
Stoink said:
Billska said:
WHAT! please explain
Ok. The new xbox slim hardware can still get the RRoD. Except when you get it and it happens, there are no 3 red lights.
then how do u know there is a hardware problem and does it at least happen less often

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
only if you have to replace yet another old RRoD Xbox.. if buying a next gen console new id go Ps3 instead of Xbox at this time.

Billska

Feb 3, 2010
Stoink said:
Billska said:
Stoink said:
Billska said:
WHAT! please explain
Ok. The new xbox slim hardware can still get the RRoD. Except when you get it and it happens, there are no 3 red lights.
then how do u know there is a hardware problem and does it at least happen less often
Well if it isn't working then you got a hardware problem. I'm still using my 3 year old xbox 360 so I don't know that much about the new slim. You should always do some online research with stuff like this.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
There are still issues with the new slim. Some even more annoying than the RROD. For one, it still feature the same technology, still vulnerable to the video error (e74) that also bricked many 360s. Another is that its more likely to scratch discs from movement (I'm not talking about that video that the destructoid idiot clearly does it just to do it, I mean like vibrations from the controller placed on the same table as the system itself will cause minor scratching). Lastly and probably most annoying, is that instead of 'overheating' the system will reach a certain tempature and immediately shut down as a safety precaution, doesn't matter what it's doing, it's going off, and you're not stopping it.

But, it does come with some handy things like built in wireless and it is a lot quieter. Is it all worth it? Mmm, not really. Personally, I still think the Elite models are the most stable and the best bang for your buck. But that's just me.

Stoink

Apr 21, 2010
Skopintsev said:
There are still issues with the new slim. Some even more annoying than the RROD. For one, it still feature the same technology, still vulnerable to the video error (e74) that also bricked many 360s. Another is that its more likely to scratch discs from movement (I'm not talking about that video that the destructoid idiot clearly does it just to do it, I mean like vibrations from the controller placed on the same table as the system itself will cause minor scratching). Lastly and probably most annoying, is that instead of 'overheating' the system will reach a certain tempature and immediately shut down as a safety precaution, doesn't matter what it's doing, it's going off, and you're not stopping it.

But, it does come with some handy things like built in wireless and it is a lot quieter. Is it all worth it? Mmm, not really. Personally, I still think the Elite models are the most stable and the best bang for your buck. But that's just me.
you make some valid points i think that it being quieter is a major plus i hate it being as loud as a car engine and with the overheating thing i would much rather it turn of randomly then break and having to go through this crap again

TheSorrow1145

Jun 27, 2010
Billska said:
Stoink said:
Billska said:
Stoink said:
Billska said:
WHAT! please explain
Well if it isn't working then you got a hardware problem. I'm still using my 3 year old xbox 360 so I don't know that much about the new slim. You should always do some online research with stuff like this.
They took out the red LEDs for the controller indicators. You know there's a hardware fault when the center power light turns solid red and you don't get any sort of message on your TV screen. Also, Microsoft kinda went the way of Sony for this and only box the Slims with SD cables, not that nice SD/HD hybrid cable.

Aside from that, better cooling? Built-in wireless? 250GB hard drive? And all this is for $299. It's a good buy.

Stoink

Apr 21, 2010
TheSorrow1145 said:
Billska said:
Stoink said:
Billska said:
Stoink said:
Billska said:
WHAT! please explain
They took out the red LEDs for the controller indicators. You know there's a hardware fault when the center power light turns solid red and you don't get any sort of message on your TV screen. Also, Microsoft kinda went the way of Sony for this and only box the Slims with SD cables, not that nice SD/HD hybrid cable.

Aside from that, better cooling? Built-in wireless? 250GB hard drive? And all this is for $299. It's a good buy.
it would be a good buy thats if Australia didnt suck it costs $450 but then again the australian doller is worth less than the american

blood77

Apr 23, 2008
The way I look at it, a wireless adapter for the 360 cost some where around $70-$80. At that price it might just make some sense to save you cash and buy a new system, that is going to have a bigger hard drive.

But I am speaking from a point of ignorance as far as the faults of the slim are concerned. I have heard some annoying things about the new system, but none of them sound like a deal breaker at the moment.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I would go for an Elite model to be honest but I voted yes on the poll by accident. Generally speaking they are more stable than older consoles and the newly released slim console. You might be able to get a used one for cheap if you want to but I would get a new one myself as most of retailers ship games with the new consoles but not with the traded in ones.

Only bother with the slim if you really want the Wi-fi connection.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Skopintsev said:

Ok you are going to have to explain to me why it shutting down when it starts overheating is a bad thing. My PC does that without warning. I would rather lose a bit of progress in a game than burn out my equipment.