Poll: XCOM vs Dishonored vs Hitman: Absolution vs Far Cry 3

cormacd12

Dec 26, 2008
I've an Xbox 360 and I only have the time and money for one new release this Christmas.

I enjoyed the XCOM demo, although it seemed a little slow. I've heard Dishonored is fun, if a little short and sterile. I enjoy stealth games but Hitman is said to have a weak story and has received a very mixed response. And Far Cry 3 is getting great reviews but I never warmed to its predecessor, and it's uglier on consoles.

What would you recommend, Escapists?

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Far Cry Three isn't out yet. It doesn't qualify for anything until we can actually play it and see if it's over rated or not.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
XCOM!

So much replayability and so much awesomeness!!

You would get a lot more for your money with XCOM IMO. I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet and from what I've seen it looks fun as hell. :3

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Dishonored is outstanding, but only get it if you're the kind of person that wants to find everything you can in the levels and play through wants to play through the game several times. If you don't, you will almost certainly not get your money out of it.

I haven't played the others, so I really can't comment on them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Apples, meet oranges.

I've played all of them (oh disposable income, I love you so) and enjoyed all of them.

It's just a matter of what kind of game you want.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
1. Xcom - I really liked the demo and it was great to see a game like this working with console conrols. It would be a good choice.

2. Haven`t played Dishonored yet.

3. Great game, only rented it but this is a must have. I will buy it next year.

4. FarCry3 - If you like open world and FPS get it. I started the game played the first mission and as soon as i got off the leash i did nothing but freeroam, hunting animals, cleaning outposts and climbing signal towers. I`ve bought it yesterday and i already played 12 hours. Forget about heavy enemy respawn, malaria and rusty weapons it`s not there anymore and i love this game. Feel like Rambo? Go in guns blazing. You want to be a sneaky ninja? Disable alarms, distract them with thrown little rocks, cut them up from behind and use silenced weapons. You want to mix it up and do it both ways? Do it.
The wildlife can get you into surprising situations. I tried to be sneaky once but the tiger behind me didn`t care and was hungry. Running right into an enemy outpost may sound like a bad idea but it worked out (some outposts even feature cages with wild animals - shoot the locks and watch the fun from far away). To be fair luring the tiger into the enemy outpost worked out once so far. Normally i get killed pretty fast by them.

The pc version looks better, no big deal, the console version doesn`t look bad either.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
A startergy game, two stealth games and a open world kinda-stealth game.

Depends what you feel like really. The first three are awesome, can't comment on far cry 3 :)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Forget about heavy enemy respawn ... it`s not there anymore
Oh, yes it bloody well is.

I cleared a beachside village of pirates. In the 5-10 minutes it took me to get to the other side, they were already respawning where I had started from.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Zhukov said:
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Forget about heavy enemy respawn ... it`s not there anymore
Oh, yes it bloody well is.

I cleared a beachside village of pirates. In the 5-10 minutes it took me to get to the other side, they were already respawning where I had started from.
Yeah you have to clear the outposts to remove re-spawns in an area.

I'm Loving Far cry 3 at the moment op but all those games are excellent, here is how i would choose.

If you want free roaming madness get Far Cry 3.
If you want tough choice strategy game get XCOM.
If you want an excellent stealth game get Hitman
If you want a steam punk game with a good story that is alot like Hitman in the sense of you can go stealth or balls to the walls rambo get Dishonored.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Hitman is a mess. Total. Useless and not interesting as a Hitman game and mediocre in measures of overall gaming.
FarCry 3 is a black horse for me but I doubt it has any actual future,

So the real choice is between X-Com and Dishonored. X-Com:EU is a deep strategy/tactics. Of course it is slow - but VERY dynamic for a TBS I assure you. Game is great and I think earned to be called 'X-Com'. I can say it's the first one after 1994 that IMHO has the right to do so.

Dishonored is great game with wonderful atmosphere. It has a wonderful combat system (Arcane studios, y'know) and very good stealth. The game allows you a great deal of freedom both in cracking each level and picking your own playstyle.

Both games have great amounts of replay value and pretty equal as for me. Still voted for X-Com: I am more of TBS type guy :3

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I wouldn't get Dishonoured... Sure, it's an awesome game... but it's SOOOOO short and SOOOOO predictable....
Hitman 5 I'm still skeptical on... I'm a MASSIVE Hitman fan, but I don't want to play Absolution because of how much of the original formula they changed... So, I really don't want to play it for fear I'd hate it...

XCOM I haven't played or even looked at.. so, I can't comment...

and FC3 looks amazing.... Currently I'm downloading it, and it can't DL fast enough... I loved FC2, and I'm really looking forward to FC3... So, that's where my money sits on this poll...

Either FC3 or Dishonoured... but for gameplay length and replayability... FC3 wins hands-down

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
I voted for XCOM, but I'll be playing all of these games. I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of them.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Dishonoured for sure. Then buy XCOM for PC. Then clear your schedule cause you're not going to be able to get much else done.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Roman Monaghan said:
Far Cry Three isn't out yet. It doesn't qualify for anything until we can actually play it and see if it's over rated or not.
it is out as of today.

personally id choose Xcom but its not really a fair competition here.

Dishonored i have no interest to begin with

Hitman: Absolution havent tried yet but probably is good, but judging form where hitman has been going lately im not so sure.

Far Cry 3 - if its anything like the abomination that Far Cry 2 was it should be avoided like a plague. Besides, did you see the box art? What Were They Thinking!

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
lRookiel said:
XCOM!

So much replayability and so much awesomeness!!

You would get a lot more for your money with XCOM IMO. I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet and from what I've seen it looks fun as hell. :3
It's fun until you play Ironman and lose missions because you keep missing with 96% chance to hit. (happened to me twice now T_T).
You just don't have the skill that I have :3