Poll: You are now the C.E.O. of Activision.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I would blow up the whole company and fire everyone, because I've obviously gone mad. Then I would listen to all the Blizzard fans cry out in agony probably as I jumped from the exploding building (with a parachute, I'm mad not crazy).

Plumerou

Mar 7, 2011
i would just sit in my office, overlooking the mortals from the 100th floor and laughing like a maniac, MUAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Sep 17, 2009
Dark Harbinger said:
Hello fellow escapists, as a few of you might recall I posted a topic regarding Game Releases, in an attempt to further contribute a unique topic among the masses of Vs threads and Spoiler threads, I came up with this idea.

So, you are the new C.E.O. of Activision, one of the industry's largest, oldest and most profitable companies out there. For as long as you are in office, Activision shall follow your directions completely. This is your chance to make huge changes or none at all, or maybe to set up a lucrative swiss bank account whilst at it. :D

What is your new focus? Do you think Activision needs to delve into a new game genre? Or maybe this is a good time for some healthy PR? How about settling that Infinity Ward case? And so on and so forth. It will be interesting to see fellow escapists show what they can do. ^^

Now then Sir, what is to be your first order of business?
An obvious blizzard hater are we? I like how peoples blind hatred of wow somehow undoes all the good blizzard has done for this industry.

I'd let blizzard do their own thing and I'd reconstruct infinity ward and give them creative control of COD. They'd make one moreodern warfare then I'd stop COD completely.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
Dark Harbinger said:
Hello fellow escapists, as a few of you might recall I posted a topic regarding Game Releases, in an attempt to further contribute a unique topic among the masses of Vs threads and Spoiler threads, I came up with this idea.

So, you are the new C.E.O. of Activision, one of the industry's largest, oldest and most profitable companies out there. For as long as you are in office, Activision shall follow your directions completely. This is your chance to make huge changes or none at all, or maybe to set up a lucrative swiss bank account whilst at it. :D

What is your new focus? Do you think Activision needs to delve into a new game genre? Or maybe this is a good time for some healthy PR? How about settling that Infinity Ward case? And so on and so forth. It will be interesting to see fellow escapists show what they can do. ^^

An obvious blizzard hater are we? I like how peoples' blind hatred of W.o.W. somehow undoes all the good Blizzard has done for this industry.

I'd let blizzard do their own thing and I'd reconstruct infinity ward and give them creative control of COD. They'd make one moreodern warfare then I'd stop COD completely.
Well, I don't' W.o.W. I hate Blizzard on general principle. It's like two greedy money monsters got together. They're just perfect for each other. I'd still like to know what good Blizzard has done for the industry though, that part made me laugh.

Dark Harbinger

Apr 8, 2011
Dark Harbinger said:

An obvious blizzard hater are we? I like how peoples blind hatred of wow somehow undoes all the good blizzard has done for this industry.

Oh not at all, I simply put that option in for a slight bit of humour as well as having seen quite a bit of hate for Blizzard before. :)

Sep 17, 2009
Inkidu said:
Dark Harbinger said:

An obvious blizzard hater are we? I like how peoples' blind hatred of W.o.W. somehow undoes all the good Blizzard has done for this industry.

Well, I don't' W.o.W. I hate Blizzard on general principle. It's like two greedy money monsters got together. They're just perfect for each other. I'd still like to know what good Blizzard has done for the industry though, that part made me laugh.
That part made laugh hmmm? Lol

Anyway they have made some good games in the past. If a video game company makes good games then that is good for the industry.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Inkidu said:
Dark Harbinger said:

Anyway they have made some good games in the past. If a video game company makes good games then that is good for the industry.
Fair enough, because if you said they revolutionized the RTS I was going to have to hit you with the Tacitus.

Sep 17, 2009
Inkidu said:
Inkidu said:
Dark Harbinger said:

Yea I wouldnt say that. They just made a fun one haha

Fair enough, because if you said they revolutionized the RTS I was going to have to hit you with the Tacitus.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Inkidu said:
They might not have revolutionised it but they're certainly one of the genre's biggest contributors and their attention to balance really shows. Anyway I'd probably sell and live on a beach for the rest of my life, if I was actually going to keep running the business I'd go with the buying out the competition option just because that's the most sensible thing to do from a business perspective.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Sapient Pearwood said:
Inkidu said:
They might not have revolutionised it but they're certainly one of the genre's biggest contributors and their attention to balance really shows. Anyway I'd probably sell and live on a beach for the rest of my life, if I was actually going to keep running the business I'd go with the buying out the competition option just because that's the most sensible thing to do from a business perspective.
Yeah, you see... I don't buy that. Starcraft was balanced but those dumbass little aliens own horrendously, and I can tell you if you gave me thirteen years and a team I could balance out Starcraft II no sweat. Do it in three years and I'll be impressed.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Do what they're doing now for a few years and get a large source of money,t hen retire with it all invested and live comfortably.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Inkidu said:
Yeah, you see... I don't buy that. Starcraft was balanced but those dumbass little aliens own horrendously, and I can tell you if you gave me thirteen years and a team I could balance out Starcraft II no sweat. Do it in three years and I'll be impressed.
Which ones, protoss or zerg? Protoss can be nasty if they go for an early rush but some roaches and hopefully two queens or marauders and marines usually see them off, zerg can't really do much early on except all out 6pool and once you see that coming just build a few defence towers and you've basically won right there. Late game they're pretty much balanced, terran probably come out ahead but not by very much at all.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Sapient Pearwood said:
Inkidu said:
Which ones, protoss or zerg? Protoss can be nasty if they go for an early rush but some roaches and hopefully two queens or marauders and marines usually see them off, zerg can't really do much early on except all out 6pool and once you see that coming just build a few defence towers and you've basically won right there. Late game they're pretty much balanced, terran probably come out ahead but not by very much at all.
They have names? Honestly, I played it and I like Command and Conquer, but Starcraft was just so flipping slow (and that's saying something because I used to think the first few C&Cs were slow... until I played Starcraft).

In all seriousness though I've been pretty badly ganked by both races. I did not wait ten minutes for an armor upgrade for this...

dWintermut3

Jan 14, 2010
There are two kinds of games, roughly: those that are farming what's been successful over and over, and those that are trying something new.

The thing is, you need BOTH to run a successful company.

You need a stable source of income so one ill-received release won't end with layoffs, but you also need to be hunting for the next big trend.

Activision is in a great place because world of Warcraft makes more money than some third-world countries (literally), they can afford to branch out and invest some of that into experiments.

If I were the CEO of activision I'd set up an R&D division to push into new markets: casual gaming, new IPs, smart devices, ect. And roll some of the profits from my powerhouses into trying to beat everyone else to market with the next powerhouse IP while seizing a piece of the expanding market pie.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Why is there no option to screw the company over and make hundreds of millions of dollars at the cost of hundreds jobs and joy of gamers and be able to never work another day in my life?