Poll: You find $40 on the side of the road - What do you do?

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
If I can identify who lost the money then I would return it (i.e. if someone was walking around the area looking for it, there was a wallet or id nearby, etc). If there is no way to identify who it belongs to then I will keep it. However, a large amount of money (probably more than a couple hundred I would put more effort to trying to find the owner).

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
dirty and sticking together = been lost and a) not looked after or b) not found
either way they've been there for a while (as long as the pavement doesn't consist of mud, that is), so they're FFA
as in, i'll kindly take them to the pub of my trust and leave them there. in exchange for booze. :)

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
Of course its mine. Money on the ground is fair game. If its a wallet, I'd take the cash out and turn in the wallet to cops/security.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I don't think I could take money out of a wallet for fear of being charged with burglary. However, if it was just money on the ground, I'd take it. There's no reason not to.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Arontala said:
If it's literally just cash or change, then I'll take it and keep it. If I found it in a wallet, I'd take it to the nearest police station.
^This. As long as it's cash, finders keepers. A wallet though? Likely to have someone call for it/have an ID in it and such, so I'd be taking that to the police station.

Borntolose

Aug 18, 2008
Unless there's a wallet or some way to tell who dropped it, it's pointless not to keep it, regardless of the amount.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Id pick it up and keep it I'm kind of poor by United States standards and that 40'd help me.
I'd also pick up the 200 for sure.
If I gave it to the cops theyd probably buy something theyd beat me with at a later point like maybe if I went to a protest.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Take it if it was in a wallet take it then return the wallet depending on how nice it is hey where i come from finders keepers is law

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
This reminds me of when I was in High School and a student lost $500 somewhere in the school.
But some beautiful bastard had found the money and given it to the teachers so she was able to get them back.
That was one lucky girl I tell ya.

As for me keeping 40 bucks I find on the side of the road? I'm not really sure, I think it could go either way really.
If it was a wallet I'd definitely turn it.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I'll take it, and then wonder why US dollars were scattered around on the streets of Britain. Then I will go down to my local post office, and change it to pounds.

Then I'll probably buy a KFC bucket, and a pack of Cigarettes, because it won't get me very far.

I don't know what you can get for 40 dollars in the US, but it's a damn sight more than what you can get for it in the UK.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
GeneralTwinkle said:
If it's just a money of the ground, I'll pretty much always pick it up. No way to trace it back. If it's a wallet, yeah then I'd get it back to who owned it.
Pretty much this. If I found 200 just laying about I would pick it up. If I found a wallet carrying any money and identification I would give it to the police. If you have money with no means to trace the owner you wont find the owner no matter what you do. I would keep the money if that was the case.

I remember when I was in 6th grade me and a few friends were kicking on piles of leaves that had blown over the school yard. All of a sudden my friend finds what was a lot of cash for kids our age. He takes the money and feels really lucky. We mention it to one of our teachers (a really cool guy) who says "oh, that's probably mine, I lost it a couple days ago" as a joke. Then he says that if you tell someone that you found some money and asks someone if they lost it then most people are most likely to say that they lost it. A wallet is different.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Keep it. As with what I'd do with it, it would go towards one of three things:
- Making my cosplays for NYCC 2012.
- Put it towards Pokemon Black/White 2.
- Give to to the boyfriend to use it on food/bills.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
If I find pennies (not the actual value; including quarters and dimes) I occasionally pick them up. If I see a bill(note) I will pick it up immediately and say to myself "Today is gonna be a good day". If I see a wallet or purse on the ground I would either leave it or hand it over to the police.