Poll: you find a gun . . .

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
Jedihunter4 said:
No you would't, what are you on about? If you have found a weapon put it in a box or something and taken it to a police station, that's not illegal, did you never have a police officer vist when you were at school and tell you what to do if you ever find a dangerous weapon? ie take it to a police station or call them?
http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/article-1509082-detail/article.html

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge - therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.
Didn't turn out too well for that guy when he tried to hand a weapon in...

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
1: Wrap my shirt around my hand, to avoid prints.
2: Check the safety catch, Check the magazine, safely empty the chamber if necessary, and then look at the slide to identify the model and caliber.
3: Depending on desirability, take for self of leave.
4: If taken: Clean it, polish it, test it at range when possible, and then put it in the vault with the rest of them.

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
Jedihunter4 said:
there is more too it.
http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/GUN-SOLDIER-WALKS-FREE-COURT/article-1626207-detail/article.html
was some copper being a dick and abusing the law with a technicality that it was never intended to penalise for. you calmly and safely hand in a fire arm to the police and explain an have no criminal history of that stuff, your get a pat on the back, best to just call them anyway thou not very safe to handle a weapon you no nothing about.

"Clarke replied: "I can't remember my exact words but I did tell him, and the police officers all asked me to sign that piece of paper and I thought it would be easier to cooperate.

He added: "At the time they I didn't think they were going to stitch me up.""
got stitched up
What a... perculiar case. Thanks for the pointing this out! It does indeed sound fishy.

As you said, best to leave the weapon alone so that there is no opportunity for you to be prosecuted in the first place.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Ampersand said:
murphy7801 said:
Ampersand said:
I really hate guns, there is just no good reason for someone to have one.
Unless live in area with alot dangerous wildlife.
I'll give you that. In the situations where it isn't viable to change location.
Agreed mean my local area badger about as dangerous as it gets lol.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Chrinik said:
Ampersand said:
Chrinik said:
Ampersand said:
I accept your apology for a start.
But my stance on subject remains that it is needlessly dangerous both to yourself and those around you for anyone to own and/or use a firearm.
It is also needlessly dangerous for anyone and yourself if you own a car!
More people die by car accidents then by gun accidents, so this is just a bogus statement that has nothing to do with the reason to actually own either a car or a gun...
For the owner, guns can serve a purpose just as much as cars do. It might not be as "useful" as a car, but at least it´s less damaging to the economy and doesn´t pollute the air...much XD
So please, don´t offend gun owners with your "opinion", and phrase it differently. It is your opinion, fine, but don´t rub it into anyones face like a vegetarian going "EATING MEAT IS EVIL!"...
There's a pretty critical difference in that guns are designed to kill things and do nothing else, and there's no point in owning one if your not prepared to use one, and people who take killing that lightly are the only people I look down on. If that offends you......well just shoot me.
I always write apology letters to all those papertargets´ familys.

Just because something is designed to kill, doesn´t mean you can´t use it for anything else.
Competitive shooting is pretty big, just look at the Olympics.

A sword was also designed to kill, doesn´t mean it doesn´t make a decorative wallhanger.

There´s also people who collect guns, just for the hell of it. They never used one their entire life, they don´t even have ammo for them, they just want to have them. Some even go so far as to not even have a permit to use one, so if they ever do, they are in twice the trouble.

Same with cars.
Just because it´s designed for transportation doesn´t mean it doesn´t make a pretty effective weapon.
Then there are less-then-lethal guns and ammo...your opinion is one-sided and ignorant, stop spurting it around when it can nothing but offend people. I mean, common, just because someone has a gun means they are ready to kill people or animals? I know tons of people who own firearms (I don´t, by the way, just for your Information, I just happen to like them.) but would NEVER point them at another human, not even in self defence (pepperspray is more effective anyway, a drugged up lunatic will likely not go down in one shot anyway and maul you.), so please, stop babbling nonsensical shit and keep your opinion for yourself. It is YOURS for a reason.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Ampersand said:
Chrinik said:
Ampersand said:
Chrinik said:
Ampersand said:
I accept your apology for a start.
But my stance on subject remains that it is needlessly dangerous both to yourself and those around you for anyone to own and/or use a firearm.
It is also needlessly dangerous for anyone and yourself if you own a car!
More people die by car accidents then by gun accidents, so this is just a bogus statement that has nothing to do with the reason to actually own either a car or a gun...
For the owner, guns can serve a purpose just as much as cars do. It might not be as "useful" as a car, but at least it´s less damaging to the economy and doesn´t pollute the air...much XD
So please, don´t offend gun owners with your "opinion", and phrase it differently. It is your opinion, fine, but don´t rub it into anyones face like a vegetarian going "EATING MEAT IS EVIL!"...
There's a pretty critical difference in that guns are designed to kill things and do nothing else, and there's no point in owning one if your not prepared to use one, and people who take killing that lightly are the only people I look down on. If that offends you......well just shoot me.
I always write apology letters to all those papertargets´ familys.

Just because something is designed to kill, doesn´t mean you can´t use it for anything else.
Competitive shooting is pretty big, just look at the Olympics.

A sword was also designed to kill, doesn´t mean it doesn´t make a decorative wallhanger.

There´s also people who collect guns, just for the hell of it. They never used one their entire life, they don´t even have ammo for them, they just want to have them. Some even go so far as to not even have a permit to use one, so if they ever do, they are in twice the trouble.

Same with cars.
Just because it´s designed for transportation doesn´t mean it doesn´t make a pretty effective weapon.
Then there are less-then-lethal guns and ammo...your opinion is one-sided and ignorant, stop spurting it around when it can nothing but offend people. I mean, common, just because someone has a gun means they are ready to kill people or animals? I know tons of people who own firearms (I don´t, by the way, just for your Information, I just happen to like them.) but would NEVER point them at another human, not even in self defence (pepperspray is more effective anyway, a drugged up lunatic will likely not go down in one shot anyway and maul you.), so please, stop babbling nonsensical shit and keep your opinion for yourself. It is YOURS for a reason.
Wow i have to be really specific with some people, you can have your decorations and your toys, don't have a fit about it. I'm talking about weapons, I have a suborito in my room which was a weapon when it was designed but now it's just exercise equipment. Only someone being pedantic would call it a weapon now.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Jedihunter4 said:
Ampersand said:
jamesmax said:
Ampersand said:
If you live in the wild,If you work at a jail, If your home land is at war and could be invaded, if your a cop ex
The live in the wild thing I can give you if it's not viable to simply move to a different area. However the other's are situations that would not be improved by the addition of more firearms. In the second and fourth one they'd possibly make things worse.
Not really that's just your opinion. The kitchen knife in your house can be just as dangerous as a gun, anyone who has seen injuries from a knife attack knows how much damage a knife can cause.

A gun is a tool, a tool that its only use is, in sport, to kill or maim or a threat.

First one is pretty self explanatory. the second two cover 100's of situations good and bad. A gun is just a tool, and it depends on who's hands it is in as to whether it will be used well or badly.

why can't someone live in the wild if they want to? there are some situations where police officers and prison officers need to be armed, sometimes you need that threat to keep the real nutters in, an some people you just plain don't want to get away. Also think you would think differently if there was the threat of people not only killing you but your family if you were not armed, because you were unlucky to live in a war torn country.

Don't like people who are totally dismissive about guns, just as ridiculous as gun nuts who don't give them the respect for how dangerous they can be.
I realize that it is sometimes necessary to defend yourself but I don't respect the gun as an effective self defense technique, if anything as it's wielder it puts you in greater danger. But let me explain why I think that. If you threaten someone with a knife they might run or watch you and wait and see what you're going to do. However if you threaten someone with a gun they don't have the freedom to do either of those things, they have to end the conflict before you even think about making a move and if this person has even a little combat training, in the best case scenario you're probably going to loose your hand, worst case scenario your going to die.
They take a bad situation and make them way worse then they need to be.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
I'd take the gun and keep it on me, but I wouldn't use it on the spot. I'd keep it on me for protection and that's about it.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
My bet was on 'pick it up with a handkerchief or such to not get my fingerprints on it, then take it to the police station' until I read this;

Callex said:
Guns in the UK are a strict liability. Even if I took it straight to a police station and handed it in, I would be arrested and likely charged for carrying a firearm. So no, I wouldn't touch the damn thing.
Admittedly, I think you're right. I probably would've gotten into troubles and such, even for trying to do good. Reconsidering after that thought, I'd probably call the police.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
MrGameluvr92 said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Put it in the mailbox. I bet someone at the post office would be really happy.
I bet that mailman would go POSTAL.

Hahahahaha...hahaha....gosh that joke sucked

Had to say it before someone else did
Ummmmm, that'd be a lot funnier if "going postal" wasn't a direct reference to the fact that most stress related killing sprees were, at a period in time, committed by postal workers or other civil servants.

OT: I would stand next to it and call police 000 straight away (Australian 911).

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Jedihunter4 said:
Ampersand said:
Jedihunter4 said:
Ampersand said:
jamesmax said:
Ampersand said:
If you live in the wild,If you work at a jail, If your home land is at war and could be invaded, if your a cop ex
The live in the wild thing I can give you if it's not viable to simply move to a different area. However the other's are situations that would not be improved by the addition of more firearms. In the second and fourth one they'd possibly make things worse.
Not really that's just your opinion. The kitchen knife in your house can be just as dangerous as a gun, anyone who has seen injuries from a knife attack knows how much damage a knife can cause.

A gun is a tool, a tool that its only use is, in sport, to kill or maim or a threat.

First one is pretty self explanatory. the second two cover 100's of situations good and bad. A gun is just a tool, and it depends on who's hands it is in as to whether it will be used well or badly.

why can't someone live in the wild if they want to? there are some situations where police officers and prison officers need to be armed, sometimes you need that threat to keep the real nutters in, an some people you just plain don't want to get away. Also think you would think differently if there was the threat of people not only killing you but your family if you were not armed, because you were unlucky to live in a war torn country.

Don't like people who are totally dismissive about guns, just as ridiculous as gun nuts who don't give them the respect for how dangerous they can be.
I realize that it is sometimes necessary to defend yourself but I don't respect the gun as an effective self defense technique, if anything as it's wielder it puts you in greater danger. But let me explain why I think that. If you threaten someone with a knife they might run or watch you and wait and see what you're going to do. However if you threaten someone with a gun they don't have the freedom to do either of those things, they have to end the conflict before you even think about making a move and if this person has even a little combat training, in the best case scenario you're probably going to loose your hand, worst case scenario your going to die.
They take a bad situation and make them way worse then they need to be.
I see what your saying, but I believe if your going to draw a gun on someone you should have training to know how to use it an should only draw it if your willing to fire it, an if your finger on trigger don't matter what they know you shoot them before they get to close its over. Plus your logic is flawed, so you say the average trouble maker will run when confronted with a knife but charge at a gun? i'm pretty sure if i was a crook an a cop pulled a gun on me the last thing in the world i would do is charge him.
The first rule of conflict is to never underestimate your aggressor, if the situation might turn violent it's always better to assume that they are stronger, faster and smarter then you are, that way you won't make as many mistakes. When you assume you have an advantage you're at your most vulnerable and guns are a minefield in that respect.
I have absolutely no problem with law enforcement officers, I have a tremendous amount of respect for who they are and what they do, especially since in my country they do it without firearms, but if a guard did pull a gun on me I would just see him as someone being reckless and stupid and i'd deal with him according.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
Ampersand said:
Wow i have to be really specific with some people, you can have your decorations and your toys, don't have a fit about it. I'm talking about weapons, I have a suborito in my room which was a weapon when it was designed but now it's just exercise equipment. Only someone being pedantic would call it a weapon now.
I am also talking about weapons. Guns in working order, fired with live ammo at friggin "anything not human" actually...
You make it sound like EVERYONE who owns a firearm is ready to kill. Fact is, most are not. And you can´t be unless you actually did kill once. Some police officers become psychological wrecks or freeze up when they actually NEED to use their gun, and you think some run about civilian is gonna do better?
Also, go into your kitchen...I bet there is an arsenal of long, sharp, pointy things designed to cut flesh or other stuff, clearly those aren´t weapons but "tools"...

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Go the hell on and pretend I never saw it.

I've got no interest being a witness in a murder case, and I'm not so poor I can't afford a handgun. Someone else will "do the right thing" or whatever, it's not any of my business.