Poll: You think Gearbox could've done better with Duke Nukem or if they were the right ones to handle it?

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
I write this because I like Duke, I heard stories about him that reminded me of the fairy tales my grandpa would read to me before bed...in terms of feats and legend, my grandpa didn't read me to sleep with something like Starship Troopers. I mean, we all have a place in our hearts for Duke, he's the king, baby! Listen this may sound like a fanboy plea, but I'm generally asking if there was something that could've been done different? Could Duke be saved? Now that Duke has been brought back to the consoles of the 21st century, is there a chance that a developer will do right with Duke? Because I don't blame Duke, I blame Gearbox. Duke has potential and balls to the wall action as it's main concept, but I fell like Gearbox just went,"meh," at it.

If you asked me like 5 odd years ago,"Hey Ross, who do you think should develop the new Duke Nukem game for the Duke's intro to the 21st century," I would've said,"People Can Fly," This is right up there alley! Insane action, crazy guns, an titular main character, and a plot that's pretty much an excuse to blow up bad guys. People have said," Look at Bulletstorm if you want DNF," how about we give DNF to the guys that made Bulletstorm. I just hope it's not too late and that this staple of Western emphasized macho-man super awesome guy hero can be saved. Gearbox should've done a better job, Duke and a lot of your own nostalgia deserves better. So I ask you, can Duke be saved? Did Gearbox do the Duke justice? Were they the right choice? Who is the better choice?

I say there is always a chance at redemption for our beloved gaming icons, it only takes one great game to make up for a mistake. If Duke winds his way into PFC's hand's, than you can bet we'll get the Duke Nukem we deserve!

EDIT: I think the poll is down

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't think that anyone could have really handled it much different from the way Gearbox did. I mean, look at one of Gearbox's other properties, Borderlands, it's got a pretty similar style of humor as the old duke nukem games, random secrets, interesting level design, awesome weapons, etc., everything that the old duke games used to be about. Had Gearbox gotten the property in a timely manner, they could have done a great job with it.

The problem wasn't Gearbox, it was what they had to work with. They didn't just get to make a Duke game from the ground up, they had to work with the crappy mess that they got from 3D Realms. They got a turd from the beginning, and all they could do was polish it up as best they could, but even with all the polish in the world, a turd is still a turd.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
like what was said in a number of reviews, the length of time it took was the downfall. the 'omg that sounds like a great idea, let's do that!' gimmicks that are in the game are VERY dated and thus make the game shit in comparison to current AAA games in the genre. it doesn't hold a candle to codblops or even tf2 which is years old ... hell it barely holds a turd to them

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
first and foremost! Gearbox HELPED, they took on the 3drealms guys and HELPED! They did not create the game from the ground up, they took what was there and stuck it together.

I blame 3d realms for this. Not gearbox.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
FallenTraveler said:
first and foremost! Gearbox HELPED, they took on the 3drealms guys and HELPED! They did not create the game from the ground up, they took what was there and stuck it together.

What did they do wrong? I guess it was spending too much time on the lawsuit instead of the game, right?

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Hectix777 said:
FallenTraveler said:

What did they do wrong? I guess it was spending too much time on the lawsuit instead of the game, right?
They developed the game... what was crappy about the game was not Gearboxes fault. You're blaming a dev that just helped fund the thing. Gearbox could probably do an AMAZING job with duke, but they didn't actively develop this game, it was 3d realms.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
The passing between developers certainly did nothing good for the game, but passing it to Gearbox was the final blow.

Gearbox is a horrible developer, but I will say that they were probably not fully responsible for the suck that is Duke Nukem Forever.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Croteam.

Just tell them that levels should not be linear, damnit! and everything will be good.

EDIT: As in the game should've gone to Croteam, not Gearbox

MazeMinion

Mar 7, 2010
I'm tired of people defending Gearbox. They are partially at fault for the game being so...disappointing.

Nothing was stopping them from delaying it further to perfect the game (like Valve does).

Yeah, it'd take longer for a game that was in dev hell for years and years, but I'd rather wait longer for a good, polished game than have it rushed out as a disappointing game.

MazeMinion

Mar 7, 2010
Xzi said:
MazeMinion said:
I'm tired of people defending Gearbox. They are partially at fault for the game being so...disappointing.

Nothing was stopping them from delaying it further to perfect the game (like Valve does).

Yeah, it'd take longer for a game that was in dev hell for years and years, but I'd rather wait longer for a good, polished game than have it rushed out as a disappointing game.
The only way that would have helped anything is if they scrapped it entirely and started over. Might as well use what was already there, even if it was crap (and it was). 3D Realms is to blame for dicking around for twelve years. Gearbox I'm slightly disappointed with, but I give them some slack based on the fact that they had little involvement with the actual project.
You do have a point.

But they had plenty of time (if they had just delayed it some more) to make the gameplay better. I don't really care about graphics, because gameplay is what really matters.

I think the main problem with the game is that it felt like a 90s game with outdated game mechanics in a modern game. It just doesn't work.

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
In the little book thingy you got with Balls of Steel edition Randy (Gearbox boss) said he wanted to do many different things to the game. He then said they wouldn't change it because ultimately it was 3D realms' game. Which I think is fair enough actually. Perhaps the next Nukem game will be graphically better. There has to be a next one because no idiot buys an IP and then only makes on game.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
FallenTraveler said:
Hectix777 said:
FallenTraveler said:

They developed the game... what was crappy about the game was not Gearboxes fault. You're blaming a dev that just helped fund the thing. Gearbox could probably do an AMAZING job with duke, but they didn't actively develop this game, it was 3d realms.
But Gearbox is to blame for the release of the game in this state. They knew they had a turd on their hands (or at least I sincerely hope they were aware of that), did they HAVE to release the game so soon after it landed on their desk? They could have, you know, fixed the pacing, or the shooting mechanics, or the humor, or the level design, name it. We've been "waiting" (using the term loosely) for fifteen fucking years, we could have waited one more for them to clean up the mess the incompetent monkeys from 3D Realms made. Or, worst case scenario, throw it in the garbage and start anew. Again.

MazeMinion

Mar 7, 2010
Von Strimmer said:
In the little book thingy you got with Balls of Steel edition Randy (Gearbox boss) said he wanted to do many different things to the game. He then said they wouldn't change it because ultimately it was 3D realms' game. Which I think is fair enough actually. Perhaps the next Nukem game will be graphically better. There has to be a next one because no idiot buys an IP and then only makes on game.
And I do hope Gearbox makes a proper Duke game in the future.

I think DNF would be a great game back in the early 2000s. They simply waited too long to release the game. Now, it's 90s game mechanics in a modern game, which feels a bit...I don't know the word...strange.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
I believe the people who made this (all million of them... -.-) put too much emphasis on the funny antics of Duke Nukem rather than the actual game play. First go watch: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3272-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-On-Stranger-Tides
Movie Bob explains the basis of what happens.
Basic: When you take the jester from a drama/action film and make him the star of the sequel, it usually turns out crappy.
Instead of focusing on game play or story telling it focuses on the little things that are supposed to make people giggle once or twice, maybe have a laugh. Just like jokes though it will get old fast.

It's like having the 2 part Titanic DVDs the first part is romance and the second action but the action has no impact without the romance.

Get what Im sayin?

and no. Gearbox would never make a Nukem game today that meets up with it's legendary status in gaming history.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
what makes people think DUKE is good to start with?
hell his best catch phrases are stolen from evil dead and they live.
and the engine is a modified doom game.

duke reminds me of that jock who in a sane persons eyes is a dork that will end up bagging groceries at a wall mart.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
I blame anyone who thought that the gameplay was OK, meaning Gearbox. They could've delayed it for a few months or maybe a year to fix all the dumb shit that plagues this game and released a game worthy of being a DN sequel.