Poll: Your child is born without a brain. Would you raise it regardless?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I would have asked the doctors to kindly euthanize it.

That is not a child, it's an empty shell of a child.
It's just sad and somewhat creepy.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I would spare him and myself from such a miserable existence. Living for the the of eating and shitting is not much of a life, not much else to say.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I would get rid of it seeing as there would be no future for the kid and it would basically be devoting a large amount of time, emotion, and money for something that would never amount to any thing.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
A kid with no brain?

I don't see how, lacking a physical brain, it could actually count as a kid, it'd be a hunk of respiring tissue.

It wouldn't be possible to raise it at all, only to keep the heart beating.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Shit. I don't know. I guess if the kid is going to die soon anyway, I would have the doctors take care of him. But I would still feel like shit either way.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Hell no. What kind of sick bastard does that, this isn`t like keeping a person in a coma on life support. People in coma`s have a sliver of hope. But when you are born without a brain there is absolutely no hope in all of the nine hells of them coming back. If you can't accept that your baby is not technically even alive you have some serious mental issues. It's not that the baby would even be aware that you're helping it, there isn't even techincally a baby, just an empty shell of something that could have been a baby. There is absolutely nothing human, that's just an empty shell. To me that's the equivialant of just carrying around a corpse and acting like its still alive.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
redmoretrout said:
Jesus Christ, how can you watch that video and think "that child should die", when you clearly see the love the mother and the rest of the family have for him. I really do not think people who say yes I would kill that child are putting themselves in the position of the mother or family.

When ethical questions like this come up people often attempt to separate their emotions from the logical decision. I would argue this is a completely futile endeavor because ethics itself is an emotional response to a situation. I do not see how any form of ethics can exist without emotions.

Thats my long winded way of saying "No, of course I would not kill the child you monster."
Quite frankly, that definition of love seems kind of twisted to me. I mean if i dragged around the dead corpse of a baby and acted like i loved it would you tell me to give it some dignity and bury it, or would you just go on your buisness?

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
Without trying to sound like an ass, I'd probably raise it against my own will. I wouldn't be able to kill the kid.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Does the child literally have no brain?

As in no chance of actually being a person, just an expensive drain on funds?

I'm curious, because if the child has no brain, then they really aren't a person, there's nothing there that makes them a person.

So no, I wouldn't keep that child.
I wasn't aware it was possible to live without a brain. Because it's how you function.

I would not keep the child. It would be painful, but I would put have the child put out of its misery. There's no way that child will get anywhere in life. Without a brain, how could it do anything? The child is already worse off than a literal couch potato. As much as it would hurt to have the child put out of its misery, it would hurt more to watch someone suffer like that.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Fudj said:
Its not a miracle the child survived its just an anomaly, the child by all rights was never going to live a normal life or even one that it could comprehend with any degree of what i would think of as life. I would have said to my wife to seriously think about aborting (if there was a way of knowing before hand) if it was born that way and that was the first i knew then i would look after it as best i could, until it passed on (not sure if the doctors would say to withold treatment to ease the passing).

There simply isn't enough of a human there for me to consider it life.
There is a way. Ultrasound will generally pick it up. Also, 55% of babies with anencephaly are stillborn anyway, with most of the remainder dying a few hours after birth.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Too many brainless people running around as it is. Excluding even that theres too many people on this planet. There are actually people who think this should have been allowed

Yes its wonderful what we can do with medical science, but some things simply should not be. Prodding and injecting what is essentially little more than a growing sack of meat is inhumane and someone should have stepped in long ago and put this thing down before the insane person started perpetuating the abuse on something that cannot even experience or know of the pain it is being put through.

Allowing it to live is not just cruel... it is sick. Honestly, someone needs to be brought up on charges for this as it is as close as you get to a crime against humanity.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I'm... not sure how it's possible to raise a child like that. Like, how would it live without a brain?

Maybe it makes me a bad person, but I think that a child like this would be nothing but a burden on everyone, with no hope of ever contributing anything. Without a brain, it lacks everything that makes us human. It would have no ability to create, work, imagine, communicate, or form complex thoughts. I wouldn't raise it.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
That's a really difficult decision... the part of me that's got all those squishy emotions compels me to say that I would keep him/her.

But honestly, life without a majority of the things that make life worth living is no way to live...

Assuming the child had already been born or is beyond the point of legal abortion/the woman I'm having the child with refuses to go through an abortion, I would probably keep him/her and try to raise them to the best of my ability.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
If he doesn't have a brain, he doesn't have a consience so I wouldn't really see any point of keeping him alive except for perhaps scientific studies.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Only a brain stem...?

Why does that sound familiar

Oh jesus christ

Yes, I'm horrible.

OT: Anyway, I'd kill it, the baby itself doesn't deserve that.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
A life is a life and even so that is not really much of a life that is just keeping meat fresh. Even if it did last more than 3 years what is it going to be? A body that just about maintains itself that needs constant care, A burden
If you got the bare basics but nothing to learn and take things in then all it is is an empty husk. Be it a empty husk that can move around a bit, probably make a bit of a mess probably along with some basic sounds.

Or at least that is what the thinking part of me is saying. The other part of me just does not want to think about it. And even then I am sure the final say would not be my own.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Well, I'm slightly more depressed now than before I found this thread. Thanks a lot, OP.

It's rather underestimated how much of the human mind is actually in the nervous system going throughout the entire body, including the spinal cord, so I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised that apparently this "miracle baby" was able to exhibit some facial expressions and minor reactions to that which occurred around him. In this way, I believe he suited the definition of "alive," perhaps even had a soul, if you can believe an amoeba does.

That said, I'd probably have had him euthanized, and his family must have been massively religious or something not to have done so. Never has, "The lights were on upstairs, but there was no one home" been such an accurate statement: I imagine he was just a big old sack of human flesh going through the motions of living but with the intellectual capacity of a mollusk. Literally, go back to the first mollusks to develop a backbone, put it in human form, this kid is what it would look like: yeah, it might smile from time to time, but you're still looking at a mollusk. I kept my dog alive when it was old just so it could enjoy a few more moments of existence, but we routinely feed things to pet store boa constrictors with more capacity to experience life than this. How the heck would anything good come of perpetuating that?

This whole scenario says a lot less about being a child and a lot more about the social psychology behind raising children. If this wasn't done out of a religious obligation, it was probably being done to placate the parents' incredible nurturing instincts or being done because they had a lot of people in their lives who simply would not accept euthanizing the baby. It sure wasn't being done for the baby's sake, not unless they were holding out for someone to perform a brain transplant, which I don't believe we're currently capable of doing in medical science. I can't even begin to fathom how they came to grips with having that creature in the other room for over 1000 days, but I imagine a lot of it came with telling themselves it was a child and not a mollusk... they probably considered it a living memorial of a stillborn child, really, and the care they showed was a demonstration about how they'd treat a kid to everyone: their relations, the media, God. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
if it doesnt have a brain then it is not a child...its just a bag of organs....

I'd have the organs donated...